Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Arizona to DHS: No REAL ID, and we mean it!

Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors

28-336. REAL ID act; implementation prohibited

This state shall not participate in the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 (P.L. 109-13, division B; 119 Stat. 302). The department shall not implement the REAL ID act of 2005 and shall report to the governor and the legislature any attempt by agencies or agents of the United States department of homeland security to secure the implementation of the REAL ID act of 2005 through the operations of the United States department of homeland security.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are these people on drugs or just have sun-baked brains? They pass one of the most un-Constitutional laws we've seen in over a decade, but they refuse to implement REAL ID?

Talk about dysfunctional behavior.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:25 pm

Arizona is as hardly the "land of the free". It recenly passed the law that set the new low in xenophobia. Any LEO can question anybody about citizenship status. Anybody, who cannot provide a satisfactory proof of being in the US legally, can be arrested and taken to jail.

I think Arizona may as well change its name from the Grand Canyon State to "Papers, please" State.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are these people on drugs or just have sun-baked brains? They pass one of the most un-Constitutional laws we've seen in over a decade, but they refuse to implement REAL ID?

What is the unconstitutionality of the law that was passed since it appears to permit what is permitted under Federal law? Can you point me to the specific sections?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

My thoughts exactly. I guess Arizona believes that having a Police State is a States Rights issue.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Any LEO can question anybody about citizenship status. Anybody, who cannot provide a satisfactory proof of being in the US legally, can be arrested and taken to jail.
Have you read the law to which you refer? I think your comments are hyperbole based on the language contained in the law.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ND Sol
What is the unconstitutionality of the law that was passed since it appears to permit what is permitted under Federal law? Can you point me to the specific sections?
I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that the constitutional issues have to do with due process and the presumption of innocence since the new law requires people to prove they are here legally or face arrest even if the police don't have probable cause to believe they are not and legal precedent saying that only the federal government can regulate immigration.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Why AZ governor Brewer hasn't signed into laws yet? I didn't hear it from AZ governor Jan Brewer does not have signed into the laws for called REAL ID Act. This is unacceptable for the behaviors in AZ does not have to required to get new ID. I can't commit to says anything about the restrictions. Why REAL ID isn't prohibited with the real identifiable.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Arizona is as hardly the "land of the free". It recenly passed the law that set the new low in xenophobia. Any LEO can question anybody about citizenship status. Anybody, who cannot provide a satisfactory proof of being in the US legally, can be arrested and taken to jail.

I think Arizona may as well change its name from the Grand Canyon State to "Papers, please" State.
As the Catholic Archbishop of the largest archdiocese in the US said, Arizona seems to be "now reverting to German Nazi and Russian Communist techniques". And yet here Arizona is taking issue with REAL ID. It's bizarre.

Bizarre indeed.

I wonder what they are going to do when a US Senator from New York and another from South Carolina get their way in requiring biometric Social Security cards.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031703115.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:41 pm

Requiring citizens to show ID, for one. Federal supremacy clause issues for another.

This is a very broadly worded law. Your comments seem to indicate faith that that power won't be abused. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where the government hasn't stretched power given to it under a broadly worded low beyond even its theoretical limits.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by LostSoul
I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that the constitutional issues have to do with due process and the presumption of innocence since the new law requires people to prove they are here legally or face arrest even if the police don't have probable cause to believe they are not and legal precedent saying that only the federal government can regulate immigration.
So you haven't actually read the text of the new law then, have you?

One only has to get to line 17 to find that it says an officer of the law has to have reasonable suspicion to question anyone about their legal status.

That said, I'll not cite anything having to do with the second part of your statement. I'll only say that it creates no immigration law, but authorizes certain enforcement of already existing law.

I'm not putting myself on either side of the issue. Only trying to get the facts straight.

Last edited by tkey75; Apr 26, 2010 at 4:03 pm Reason: stopping the flaming.....
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is no requirement that persons carry a physical identity document on their person. There is no allowance for local authorities to enforce immigration laws - that is for the federal government to do. The AZ law will most definitely allow for racial profiling - there is no possible way to enforce this law without profiling unless there is a mechanical method to stop and identify people (i.e. every Nth person).

The requirement to carry a physical identity document and show it to a representative of the government, and risk or arrest or detention if such document is not presented, is a gross violation of our 4th Amendment right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
So you haven't actually read the text of the new law then, have you?

One only has to get to line 17 to find that it says an officer of the law has to have probable cause to question anyone about their legal status.
I think it is reasonable suspicion, not PC.

And we know quite well that RS is whatever an LEO defines it to be. Skin color or foreign accent plus something an LEO makes up on the fly, e.g., being "nervous" (who isn't when aggressively questioned), will usually suffice.

I seriously doubt that my California DL will suffice to prove my legal status. This means that the only practical solution for me is to carry my passport at all times when I trave through AZ. Since I have a family to support, I don't feel like being a "test case".
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club

The requirement to carry a physical identity document and show it to a representative of the government, and risk or arrest or detention if such document is not presented, is a gross violation of our 4th Amendment right to be free of unreasonable search and seizure.
Tell that to the feds who conduct non-border related immigration checks in that part of the world. They don't agree.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:08 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Exactly how it was explained to me when I questioned this law when it was proposed.

I especially like the part where the person has to be transported to the nearest federal facility. For where I work that means about 25 miles away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.