Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

entering the US w/expired US passport - Swedish/US dual citizen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond

I'm a dual US /Swedish citizen. I'm scheduled to leave Sweden (where I live) for the US in a few hours, just realized my US passport has expired. I have a valid Swedish passport I can use to board and to leave the US with, but I understand entering the US with a Swedish passport if I am also a US citizen is a bad idea.

Should I show up with my expired passport and beg forgiveness? Should I bring anything else with me, birth certificates etc?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I would change the date and get an emergency replacement of the US passport. US citizens are required to enter and leave on valid US documents.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:02 pm

Whilst Americans are required to leave on a valid US passport they can re-enter the US on expired US passports as they have a right to live in the US.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You should be fine coming in on the expired US passport.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
As others have said, entering shouldn't be your problem. After entering, just go to a local federal office building that does passports and get your new one. They will do it on the spot as long as you show them your outbound ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot and report back...fingers crossed.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nope22
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot and report back...fingers crossed.
Sounds good; you'll be fine.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Also, if you didn't take this option and used your Swedish passport instead, wouldn't you have to have completed ESTA 2 days ago? Or do you have a US visa in it?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by star_world
Also, if you didn't take this option and used your Swedish passport instead, wouldn't you have to have completed ESTA 2 days ago? Or do you have a US visa in it?
Why do you believe that the OP may even be entitled to have a valid US visa in the Swedish passport?

ESTA applications may be approved in way less than 48 hours/2 days before travel. If the ESTA application were to be denied then getting a visa is a pain for those who may be granted a visa -- that's why the general US recommendation is to apply for an ESTA 3 days or more prior to travel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 8, 2010 at 4:47 pm
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
As others have said, entering shouldn't be your problem. After entering, just go to a local federal office building that does passports and get your new one. They will do it on the spot as long as you show them your outbound ticket.
You will want to check that information, as most passport offices require you to have an appointment to be seen, and may or may not issue you a same day passport (probably not). I would not just show up at one of the passport offices and expect to get service without making an appointment first.

Requirements to be seen in person are here
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...edule_852.html

Locations are here
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_4312.html
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:19 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
A US Citizen cannot get a visa to 'visit' the US.

Furthermore, it is unlawful for a US Citizen to enter on another passport, so this would be a stupid and bad idea.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Reporting Back - Success!

So, I entered and exited the US, legally and without too much hassle. This is what I did:
  1. Completed ETSA online using Swedish passport details. Was instantly approved (I mean instantly, not even a 30 second delay)
  2. Boarded using my Swedish passport
  3. Showed my expired US passport to immigration agent at LAX with a heartfelt apology for showing up with an expired passport. He looked me up in his system and asked me if I had a Swedish passport as well (assume he could see the ETSA data using my name and DOB to search). I said yes, he asked to see the passport and asked if I had any others, for example Afghanistan or Pakistan (seriously). He sent me off for secondary screening.
  4. Secondary screening took my passorts and checked them for authenticity and sent me on my way, took about 15 mins
  5. Went directly to the Federal Building in LA to get a new passport since my return flight was in 3 days. They asked to see my tickets and let me through directly. However, since it was 15 mins to closing time on a Friday, I was asked to come back for an appointment at 7 am on monday.
  6. I couldn't make the 7am apt because of meetings, so went to LAX for my flight directly.
  7. Checked in using my Swedish passport. The check-in agent asked if I had a green card, I said that I am a dual US/Swedish citizen. She asked for my US passport, saw that it was expired and went away for a few minutes. She returned and entered my details from the Swedish passport. I assume this could have been hit or miss, the rulebook probably says she should not have let me on, or is at best fuzzy here. Ideally I would have sorted out a new US passport while in LA.
In summary, I did alot of worrying for nothing, had very little hassle. Please do not take this as advice, your mileage may vary and I won't be doing this again, feels like there could have been alot more trouble, especially exiting the US.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:46 am

next time just choose one or the other. using two passports caused you to have to go through a secondary.

you are allowed to enter and leave the US using either passport.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mileena
This is CMPLETELY wrong. If you are a US citizen you are REQUIRED to use your US passport to enter and leave the country. The same is true of most countries -- if you are a citizen you are required to use that passport at the country's border. The US does not recognize dual citizenship, but it does not forbid it either. If you are a US citizen on US soil your other citizenship will not matter to US authorities.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nope22
So, I entered and exited the US, legally and without too much hassle. This is what I did:
  1. Completed ETSA online using Swedish passport details. Was instantly approved (I mean instantly, not even a 30 second delay)
  2. Boarded using my Swedish passport
  3. Showed my expired US passport to immigration agent at LAX with a heartfelt apology for showing up with an expired passport. He looked me up in his system and asked me if I had a Swedish passport as well (assume he could see the ETSA data using my name and DOB to search). I said yes, he asked to see the passport and asked if I had any others, for example Afghanistan or Pakistan (seriously). He sent me off for secondary screening.
  4. Secondary screening took my passorts and checked them for authenticity and sent me on my way, took about 15 mins
  5. Went directly to the Federal Building in LA to get a new passport since my return flight was in 3 days. They asked to see my tickets and let me through directly. However, since it was 15 mins to closing time on a Friday, I was asked to come back for an appointment at 7 am on monday.
  6. I couldn't make the 7am apt because of meetings, so went to LAX for my flight directly.
  7. Checked in using my Swedish passport. The check-in agent asked if I had a green card, I said that I am a dual US/Swedish citizen. She asked for my US passport, saw that it was expired and went away for a few minutes. She returned and entered my details from the Swedish passport. I assume this could have been hit or miss, the rulebook probably says she should not have let me on, or is at best fuzzy here. Ideally I would have sorted out a new US passport while in LA.
In summary, I did alot of worrying for nothing, had very little hassle. Please do not take this as advice, your mileage may vary and I won't be doing this again, feels like there could have been alot more trouble, especially exiting the US.
Nice trip report. For domestic US flights you are allowed to use the Swedish passport even as a US citizen.

Originally Posted by mileena
next time just choose one or the other. using two passports caused you to have to go through a secondary.

As mentioned above, that is incorrect.

What caused the OP to be sent to secondary by CBP was most probably the use of an expired US passport.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.