Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can any boarding pass get you past security at any terminal?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

OK, so I was at BOS with 4 hours to check in before my flight to YOW...

So, the AC flights use the US lounge, which isn't strictly in the same security zone as the AC gates. (For those that aren't aware, BOS has no airside connections between terminals as far as I could see, certainly not from Terminal B, unlike, say, IAD, where you can roam freely around the airport.)

So, I thought, I'll go to terminal E and see if I can get past the TSA to the LH lounge.

To my surprise, it worked. Just wondering whether this was because TSA couldn't work out that Ottawa wasn't somewhere in Africa, or whether you can get in to any terminal even though you don't really have any business to be there (as your flight leaves from a completely different terminal).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I haven't tried it anywhere myself, but from other reports here on FT it's been done plenty. If there are any issues you can just tell the TSA that you're doing it to use a particular lounge.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:11 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by LHR*G
OK, so I was at BOS with 4 hours to check in before my flight to YOW...

So, the AC flights use the US lounge, which isn't strictly in the same security zone as the AC gates. (For those that aren't aware, BOS has no airside connections between terminals as far as I could see, certainly not from Terminal B, unlike, say, IAD, where you can roam freely around the airport.)

So, I thought, I'll go to terminal E and see if I can get past the TSA to the LH lounge.

To my surprise, it worked. Just wondering whether this was because TSA couldn't work out that Ottawa wasn't somewhere in Africa, or whether you can get in to any terminal even though you don't really have any business to be there (as your flight leaves from a completely different terminal).
For God's sake, now your demanding geographic literacy from TSOs? Is there no end?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They may look at it and think you are lost and point you to the correct terminal, but if you have to explain to them you have a reason to be in that terminal (lounge) I have never been turned away
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
It rarely worked at TPA. I would try to sit with coworkers who were flying other airlines but it was close to impossible to get to one of the other terminals.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Definitely have terminal hopped having to go through security more than once. Never given any grief.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
They may look at it and think you are lost and point you to the correct terminal, but if you have to explain to them you have a reason to be in that terminal (lounge) I have never been turned away
Most of the passengers who have used a BP from one airline to access a different terminal have been lost, in my experiences. Some are not; they usually want to see someone they know before their flight.

One passenger filed a complaint here, some time ago, that I know of He was flying out on SW, which is T1 at SAT. He enter T2. By the time he realized his mistake it was too late. He filled out a comment card saying TSA should have told him he was at the wrong terminal.

So I confirm with the pax where they should be. But other than that, it's no problem - I'm simply concerned you might miss your flight.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The rules when put into effect after 9-11 said in order to get through security you must have a same day ticket. Initially they accepted just a confirmation but that was changed
requiring a boarding pass. I am not sure how far the TSA rules detals in order to get through security you must have a boarding pass for a flight in the secured area you are trying to access. I was turned away at EWR and MIA wanting club access but you can get usually get a pass from the airline.
Every airport is somewhat different regarding layout. I was in ATL over the weekend, a huge airport, when you clear security you have access to just about the entire airport
via the underground train. At ATL generally every terminal has different types of restaurants. I want to to McDonalds located in terminal E, i was flying Continental in Terminal D. No problem. It is not so easy at other airports. Many airports used to have alot of concessions pre-secuirty, but most new facilities being built most of the concessions are post security.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have tried to get past security at MCO in the past to visit some of the restaurants on other concourses, but have always been turned away... One of the reasons that I like DEN..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I saw a really dumb TSA screener try to turn away a guy with a code-share boarding pass at SAT. It took 2 supervisors and the TA to clear the guy. Meanwhile, the rest of us stewed in line for 15 minutes.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I saw a really dumb TSA screener try to turn away a guy with a code-share boarding pass at SAT. It took 2 supervisors and the TA to clear the guy. Meanwhile, the rest of us stewed in line for 15 minutes.
Wonder why the TSO didn't just move the passenger to the side and check others while waiting for the supervisors to come. Anyways regardless, the TSO should've known what codeshares come into that terminal.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
bolding mine: it's a good thing they weren't trying to screw passengers in light bulbs. what a waste of manpower and resources.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:27 pm

Yep, KATL is most definitely easier to move around past security because there's really one (technically more, but same hallway essentially) checkpoint and that's before you head out to the concourses.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:53 pm

MKE

At MKE, you can access any concourse(C/D/E) with a boarding pass and valid ID so long as your flight has not left. You can also obtain a gate pass for the elite clubs there. I've seen it many times.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Wonder why the TSO didn't just move the passenger to the side and check others while waiting for the supervisors to come. Anyways regardless, the TSO should've known what codeshares come into that terminal.
I wonder what terminal and what shift? But codesharing shouldn't matter. As long as the departure time on the hasn't been reached the pax is able to enter through either checkpoint.

And every airport has it's share of fools, some more than others. I suspect if a TA had to get involved, though, something was wrong with the BP. Just a guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.