Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Anyone Considered a Charter Challenge to the CATSA Bag Rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

I was just thinking about this, and about how Igor at the Door has been clearly discriminating against male passengers. Not only that, but the stated policy itself clearly discriminates, as it allows purses that can potentially hold a laptop and more or a camera and more.

Anyone considered taking CATSA to task over this?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:22 pm

Sorry, I am missing a story here. Can you please elaborate a bit for me?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by unLogical
Sorry, I am missing a story here. Can you please elaborate a bit for me?
I believe what the OP is referring to is the idea that I (as a male) can take on 1 bag but not a laptop bag, while my wife (as a female) can take on 1 bag and a purse that would easily hold a similar volume of posessions.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:34 pm

You can take a man purse, but it is something that a reasonable person could consider a purse. With that being said, some women`s purses are way too big and should not be allowed under the current rules.

With that being said, what is allowed, what should be allowed and actual practice are three different things.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by unLogical
You can take a man purse
Cue Hangover (the Movie)

It's a satchel. Indiana Jones has one.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by avsfan733
I believe what the OP is referring to is the idea that I (as a male) can take on 1 bag but not a laptop bag, while my wife (as a female) can take on 1 bag and a purse that would easily hold a similar volume of posessions.
Actually, that is not really the point. More specifically, I (along with others) have been denied access for having "too many zippers" while women carrying bags/backpacks/whatever with just as much hardware have been let in.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Cue Hangover (the Movie)

It's a satchel. Indiana Jones has one.
I was thinking Seinfeld - IT'S EUROPEAN!!!

Is it possible to get a baggage claim tag to get past the dudes at the door, then remove the claim tag and just carry it on? Would that cause any issues with the bag not being scanned on board after a tag is issued?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I was thinking Seinfeld - IT'S EUROPEAN!!!

Is it possible to get a baggage claim tag to get past the dudes at the door, then remove the claim tag and just carry it on? Would that cause any issues with the bag not being scanned on board after a tag is issued?
Yes! It would be good idea right after you claims the bags and remove the baggage tags off. You will continuation ongoing next flight out. It won't be necessary any issued problems at all.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:00 pm

I've witnessed this in Canada since the December incident in Detroit. CATSA is indeed applying their rules inconsistently, and one my male colleagues was hassled by this while I was allowed to carry my purse.

Even though I benefited from it as a female, I disagree that there should be different rules for males and females on what they can carry. That's just silly.

And I agree with one of the posters, some women get away with ridiculously large handbags on planes, and not just in Canada!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I would think there would be a problem with bag matching. It is definitely easy enough to do in theory though, given the set up. You could easily rip the bag check tag off in the pre-clearance zone before Igor's minions see you again.

Originally Posted by megan
I've witnessed this in Canada since the December incident in Detroit. CATSA is indeed applying their rules inconsistently, and one my male colleagues was hassled by this while I was allowed to carry my purse.

Even though I benefited from it as a female, I disagree that there should be different rules for males and females on what they can carry. That's just silly.

And I agree with one of the posters, some women get away with ridiculously large handbags on planes, and not just in Canada!
Honestly, I could care less if women do carry large handbags. As long as someone doesn't exceed a 45 linear inch roll-aboard and a personal item that fits under the seat, I don't care what form it takes.

What bothers me severely is CATSA's inconsistent application that is pretty clearly discriminatory toward men.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by N1120A

Honestly, I could care less if women do carry large handbags. As long as someone doesn't exceed a 45 linear inch roll-aboard and a personal item that fits under the seat, I don't care what form it takes.

What bothers me severely is CATSA's inconsistent application that is pretty clearly discriminatory toward men.
CATSA will have more appropriate behaviors in Canada. Because there is no restrictions the carryons size. IF you are allowed to take the carryon bags in the aircraft without any incident. If you can tear it up the bags claim tags off the luggage to put into the aircraft, if necessary. Because they have to rights to allowed put the carryons in the aircraft and its doesn't have any common sense from security or any airlines agents should have to be more appropriate right thing to do and its will be eased the carryons restrictions will be no longer existing. I know the passengers are having more complaints against the security. Because the bags will not allowed to being checked to put into the cargo hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.