Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

JFK Control Tower - let the little kid direct traffic for a while day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Control Tower - let the little kid direct traffic for a while day

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
I may well have misunderstood

Originally Posted by LessO2
I think you're missing my point.

I know the difference in the TSA's "theater" presence and the FAA's tombstone technology model.

My point is more about hypocrisy in this Forum (and I'm not naming names). If the TSA doesn't accept a NEXUS card as ID, that warrants a 10-page thread about how wrong that it is, as the TSA doesn't follow its own rules, and there is hell that must be paid because of this.

However, when government rules are broken when it involves an eight year-old kid, it's all okay with some in this forum.
I may well have missed your point. However; I think my comments do relate at least tangentially to yours. When TSA employees fail to follow their own rules (or perhaps more precisely their own standards) on things like NEXUS cards people here do complain vociferously. I believe they do this for two reasons: 1. They recognize that the whole ID check process has absolutely nothing to do with meaningful security. 2. The repeated failure of TSA employees to know their own policies and procedures demonstrates a glaring deficiency in training, management and monitoring. Were we to see air traffic controllers who routinely couldn't remember the proper flight separation guidelines or who couldn't follow proper radio procedures, I'm sure there would be vigorous complaints about that.

If a group of CAP students were to visit a tower and be given a chance to make a radio call would that be against the rules? I've been in a control tower as an invited guest and, while I didn't make any radio calls, I doubt it would have violated any rules were the controller to allow me to do so under his supervision. Did the controller break any rules or did he just cause embarrassment for his FAA supervisors?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:45 am

If you check out liveatc.net (you may have to register), you can find tapes of children talking to aircraft. One is the one that's been most reported (one tower, giving takeoff and "contact departure" instructions), but there is one on the ground position, with much more complex clearances, including taxi instructions. It's done quite professionally done and what impressed me the most was that the child started issuing some instruction and then said "disregard" just like a real controller would. The timing suggests that he wasn't fed every word there and knew what to do in that situation.

I'm very definitely in the "this is harmless" camp. Sure, I can come up with some scenarios where this could have resulted in a problem, but they rely on exceedingly unlikely sets of circumstances. I hope that once this quiets down the FAA does no more than give these folks a slap on the wrist.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Heck, drive up to your local tower controlled airfield, pick up the intercom by the door, and ask if you can come up for a visit.

Bring cookies.
That may not work right now, since they've suspended visits until this is all sorted out.

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
I'm very definitely in the "this is harmless" camp.
I think all we can conclude is it didn't cause any harm in this case. If this kind of thing is allowed, what happens if the next kid goofs? There are just too many ways this could go wrong. And I don't want an elementary-school kid giving ATC instructions to any airplane I'm on.

It's also interesting to see that even the union is distancing itself from the controller.

And I agree with this from an Associated Press story:

The incidents suggest a casualness about rules that undermines safety, said Carol Carmody, a former National Transportation Safety Board member and former FAA official.

"If they don't follow fairly rigid procedures, they're going to make mistakes," Carmody said. "If you are in the safety business, you make a big deal out of anything like this because random events cause accidents."
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by videomaker
If this kind of thing is allowed, what happens if the next kid goofs?
With all the people getting up in arms over nothing, do you think another controller would do this again? Even then, if a kid made a mistake the controller would simply say disregard and relay the correct information.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
With all the people getting up in arms over nothing, do you think another controller would do this again?
I hope not. But I'm amazed it happened at all.

Even then, if a kid made a mistake the controller would simply say disregard and relay the correct information.
Unless a plane started a takeoff roll based on bad instructions, or all kinds of other things that could go wrong. It's just not good procedure.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
So what is the allowable level of distraction for an air traffic controller? Reading the newspaper? Talking on the phone? Texting? Having lunch with the husband/wife/kid while on the radio?

Regardless of what activities he was doing, he was also babysitting while on the job. I think that is frowned upon in most workplaces.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
Unless a plane started a takeoff roll based on bad instructions.
Hard to see how that would happen or that something bad would happen if it did. It's not like there are multiple planes on runways waiting to take off and the instruction could be given to the wrong one. If somebody (controller or kid) gave a plane further down the line a takeoff clearance, the response would be, in effect, "huh"? The other error would be a takeoff clearance before it should have been given. But seems a every unlikely "failure mode": how would it happen? And, if he did, starting a takeoff roll is hardly an irreversible step. Engines take time to spool up and planes accelerate slowly. If a bogus takeoff clearance were given and then withdrawn, I doubt the aircraft would get more than a couple of hundred feet, if that. And it's even harder to see how a "contact departure" could cause trouble.

I think the controller was being very conservative by having his child just give takeoff clearances and "contact departure".

Although I agree this isn't something that should be widely encouraged, I see absolutely no danger if it were done again in the same way. I do agree with the sentiment that "breaking rules" in safety-critical situations can promote an environment of carelessness, but it looks to me like this was done carefully and with an eye to aviation safety and not something that would promote such an environment.

Last edited by RichardKenner; Mar 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm Reason: typos.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Although I agree this isn't something that should be widely encouraged, I see absolutely no danger if it were done again in the same way.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. There's no place for kiddies giving out ATC instructions from the tower, IMO.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Here's another fun one: YVR controller makes marriage proposal
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by PTravel
Show of hands: who wants to be a passenger in a commercial aircraft handled by ATCs consisting of 8 year olds, with adults supervising?
[raises hand]

If I had heard this on Ch. 9 I'd have thought, 'oooh, cool!' ^

Just like the pilots did.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by flightmedic
If I believe the local news reports, in addition to the potential violation in allowing the child on the air, the tower is a controlled access area that only authorized and "cleared" employees are supposed to access.
Not true. Interested citizens and pilots/student pilots can get tours of most (not all) facilities. Gotta set it up in advance, but it can be done. I've been in several facilities, including NY Tracon, ISP, LGA, and EWR towers.

^

I would have no qualms about being aboard one of the aircraft I heard in the recording, and judging by the amusement of the pilots, nether did they.
+1
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Not true. Interested citizens and pilots/student pilots can get tours of most (not all) facilities. Gotta set it up in advance, but it can be done. I've been in several facilities, including NY Tracon, ISP, LGA, and EWR towers.

+1
Unfortunately, I fear that said access will be a victim of the namby-pamby emotional over reaction to this situation.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Unfortunately, I fear that said access will be a victim of the namby-pamby emotional over reaction to this situation.
Yep... very unfortunate. Culture and climate of fear.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: None Active Right Now
This is a huge mountain out of a molehill situation.

SHOCKED! Media pundits and "safety experts" notwithstanding, there is NOTHING, NADA, ZIP that a kid could have said under those circumstances that would have compromised safety.

Remember...these pilots know what is going on, and contrary to what is shown on some popular TV shows, they don't just blindly do what some voice on the radio tells them to - especially if it is a kid's voice!

Furthermore, like others have mentioned, even if the kid had somehow given a wrong takeoff clearance to a plane holding in a position where it would have been dangerous, the real controller could have been back on the horn with a "disregard" before the kid was even finished talking.

How many of these people that are so upset about this have ever been on either end of a pilot/controller radio communication? Or even listened to CH. 9 for that matter?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by DoubleHaul
SHOCKED! Media pundits and "safety experts" notwithstanding, there is NOTHING, NADA, ZIP that a kid could have said under those circumstances that would have compromised safety.
Indeed. And the best proof of this is that the airline pilots, who should be the most upset if their safety was compromised, are showing their support for the controller. According to liveatc.net, quite a lot of pilots are signing off with "adios" as a way of showing support for the controllers. And there's a recording of DL 31 signing off and adding "thoughts going out to your co-worker there: I think it's BS what he's going through".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.