Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wash your hands boys & girls!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:09 pm

Excluding the static toward the end of the posts, this thread does raise some interesting questions which in my view should be validated.

1) Is the swab used multiple times?

If affirmative, with all the recent concern about spreading the flu, and the CDC recommendation to wash your hands often, this would seem like a natural way of spreading disease. Or possibly, unknowingly assisting in the spread of a fatal biological agent.

2) Is there such a thing as a "false negative"?

If affirmative, a PAX would be negatively painted by a prior swabbing.

3) Are there any chemicals contained on the swab?

If affirmative, this could have negative consequences for a hyperallergenic person.

Does anyone have verifiable information on the product and procedures from DHS, or better yet from an unbiased reliable third party? Of course regardless, it has been demonstrated on several ocassions that a procedure can be disregarded at the discretion of the TSO.

Remember, even paranoid people have enemies!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I wonder if TSA will treat people fairly if they come up positive, or if they will be treated as a terrorist...
since you asked.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...chine-lax.html

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
By the way, this was a comment on the CNN story..

"I don't mind this. I don't mind taking off my shoes or walking through a scanner. It's a touch inconvenient, but not worth getting upset over.....
so was that ma or pa kettle being quoted
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by sailman

1) Is the swab used multiple times?

If affirmative, with all the recent concern about spreading the flu, and the CDC recommendation to wash your hands often, this would seem like a natural way of spreading disease. Or possibly, unknowingly assisting in the spread of a fatal biological agent.
Here’s the TSA on doing ETD on a CPAP machine:

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.

Blogger Bob is either lying or misinformed.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.

and just why pray tell is changing gloves not mandatory?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: NW Plat
Would gasoline trigger a "positive"?

My hands almost always seem to smell of gasoline after I refuel my rental car just before arriving at the airport. Does anybody have any idea whether gasoline or any of its usual additives might be on the list of things they're looking for?

If so, car-renters would seem to be a likely source of a lot of positives.

B.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:48 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by degas1900
TSA is now swabbing your hands for explosives.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/17...Top+Stories%29
The days of going to the range then going to the airport are over.

This is going to be more fun than taking down cancer patients in the subway.

Originally Posted by phedre
In other news, government agencies have moved to crack down on the latest threat to our nation's security: the latex glove.

This seemingly innocious product is used by terrorists worldwide while assembling their nefarious underwear bombs, thereby protecting their skin from the telltale chemical signs our valiant TSOs search for so diligently.
I wouldn't joke much about that. In the early days of my EMT career (1980's) I was arrested by a rookie cop for possession of burglary tools -- the latex gloves in my pocket. After I spoke to the watch commander, fecal matter followed gravitic tendencies.

Originally Posted by eastport
Worry when yesterday's absurd satire sounds reasonable.
Worry more when a link to a story goes to a real news source instead of The Onion.

Last edited by n4zhg; Feb 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
What's missing in this thread is any mention of where in the Act that created the TSA does it allow them to do this kind of crap AFTER you are cleared to enter the "sterile zone". Anyone? Mueller?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL

It actually is a directive at my airport that only fresh ETD swabs are used on CPAPs.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TSO1973
It actually is a directive at my airport that only fresh ETD swabs are used on CPAPs.
I’m glad to hear that!

However, 3.4.1(E) of the SOP manual refers to having a container available for “worn sample wipes”. To me, that means “worn out”, not “used once”.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
I'm on vacation and trying to enjoy... so only few pointers:

Here we go down the narco road. Aside from TSOs thinking they made a score... we don't give a damn about drugs. The ETD machines are set to detect explosives and explosives only. The drug mode has never been used and can't be used us. The parameters on the machine can only be changed service techs and that's only if HQ in DC mandates.

These are the swipes generally used at checkpoints.
https://www.rkb.us/contentdetail.cfm?content_id=214567
The Itemiser isn't used much to my knowledge, we only have one at Boston, which sits in the training center so TSOs can be certified on both machines. However, the 400Bs are being phased out and replaced with 500DTs.

Finally, there are more companies that provide ETD products. Here's one based right heah in Massachusetts. http://www.dsadetection.com/Category...nd+Calibration

Now. Back to my vacation.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The local Fox TV station news did an story on this tonight. Predictably, they had a TSA propaganda-meister talking about it, and a couple of surrender-monkeys saying "it makes us safer so I'm all for it". They also interviewed a UA FA who stated the case against (we'll see how long before TSA pressures UA to fire her).
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by phedre
In other news, government agencies have moved to crack down on the latest threat to our nation's security: the latex glove.
Is this supposed to be tongue in cheek?
First of all, all one has to do is go to any foodservice operation or any hospital to acquire gloves.
Second, who uses latex gloves? nitrile and some other materials are used by most companies now due to latex allergy issues.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The local Fox TV station news did an story on this tonight. <SNIP> They also interviewed a UA FA who stated the case against.
Could you post a link if possible? The station's website might have the broadcast cached online.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
I’m glad to hear that!

However, 3.4.1(E) of the SOP manual refers to having a container available for “worn sample wipes”. To me, that means “worn out”, not “used once”.
Container for worn sample wipes? Yeah, it's called the trash can....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.