FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   TSA Idiocy: You Can't Clear Security Until Midnight for a 12:30 AM Flight! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1051534-tsa-idiocy-you-cant-clear-security-until-midnight-12-30-am-flight.html)

Wally Bird Feb 14, 2010 10:41 am

Normally I don't advocate complaining to/about the TSA - it's a futile exercise. However in this case I would, this was a total absence of common sense; that it happened at SEA does not surprise me in the least, the 'uniforms' there are about the dumbest collection of dolts I've seen in a coon's age. Drop ol' Blogger Bob a line too, see how he tries to squirm away.

Eejits :mad:

tartetatin2 Feb 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs (Post 13384844)
Didn't realize the north checkpoint at SEA is open that late -- it's been closed before when I had 2200-2300 flights.

I believe they were just about to close up, and no other pax was in the screening area when I arrived. Probably not a coincidence, eh?

I do intend to follow up.

Thanks

T2

baliktad Feb 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Occasionally I stand by for a flight that is on a different calendar day than my confirmed flight (due to AS' generous 24-hour standby policy). Usually I will print out my confirmed boarding pass, and then print out my standby pass on the opposite side of the paper, so I only have to keep track of the one sheet.

The last time I did this I sailed through security at SEA at about 6PM. I made it all the way to the AS Board Room before I realized the TDC had only examined and stamped my boarding pass for the flight departing the next morning at 8AM.

It makes me wonder just what they're looking at so closely if they fail to notice a boarding pass presented for the next day.

bocastephen Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Welcome to TSA SEA - one of the dumbest outposts of American's dumbest agency.

Don't bother writing the TSA - it won't do anything. Find out the email for the Delta SEA station manager and write them directly. Although it's Delta and they are one of the TSA's biggest butt k***s, the SM might put her 'patriotism' and 'war-on-terrah' bravery on hold for just long enough to call the SEA FSD and get this straightened out so the dimwit SEA screeners don't cause any more havoc on her flight. You'd think the TSA at a west coast airport has grasped the concept of a red-eye flight by now :rolleyes:

The best option for getting the SM's email is from the counter agents - I've been able to get a SM's email easily at CO, but DL might be another matter.

nrr Feb 16, 2010 7:27 pm

In Las Vegas, airlines warn pax to arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight (sometimes the lines are huge). I routinely take the aa redeye, which departs at around 12:30 am (boarding begins at T-30), and arrive at the security checkpoint around 10 pm. I have NEVER been turned away to wait until 12:01 am--factoring in the time it takes for the train linking main check-in point to the d gate, you might miss the flight and even if you got there before the doors closed, there would be NO overhead space left for carry-ons.

GUWonder Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 13403833)
In Las Vegas, airlines warn pax to arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight (sometimes the lines are huge). I routinely take the aa redeye, which departs at around 12:30 am (boarding begins at T-30), and arrive at the security checkpoint around 10 pm. I have NEVER been turned away to wait until 12:01 am--factoring in the time it takes for the train linking main check-in point to the d gate, you might miss the flight and even if you got there before the doors closed, there would be NO overhead space left for carry-ons.

The TSA is at least one thing: inconsistent in so many ways. Hard to forget that the inconsistency is to keep the terrorists on their toes. :rolleyes:

secretbunnyboy Feb 17, 2010 5:35 am

Originally Posted by sailman (Post 13382743)
the "do you want to make your flight today" question becomes more intimidating.

I'm not even sure how one would answer it. "No, I want to make my flight tomorrow"? "No, I want to make tomorrow's flight, today"?

crhptic Feb 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tartetatin2 (Post 13401482)
I believe they were just about to close up, and no other pax was in the screening area when I arrived. Probably not a coincidence, eh?

Almost certainly not. Don't forget the average TSO's top priorities:
1. I better not miss my break.
2. We need to close up on time - or early.
3. Where is my relief already? I'm been here for 2 minutes too long.
4. What did you do last weekend?
5. When does your shift end already?
6. What are you gonna do this weekend?
7. Oh yeah, aren't we supposed to be screening some stuff?

I'm not making this stuff up - this are the most frequent conversation topics I hear among TSO's. Except #7 would actually be like #24.