Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LAX TSA refuses to accept NEXUS as ID, FTer misses flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX TSA refuses to accept NEXUS as ID, FTer misses flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Thumbs down LAX TSA refuses to accept NEXUS as ID, FTer misses flight

Today's #TSAfail:

I received a VM & SMS messages this morning about 0730 Pacific from a fellow FTer (contributor to TS&S).

He was at T6/7, UA Elite side. TDC, supes & a 3 striper initially refused his NEXUS. They eventually let him through but it was too late. He asked me to post this. I'm sure he will offer more details when he can.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Today's #TSAfail:

I received a VM & SMS messages this morning about 0730 Pacific from a fellow FTer (contributor to TS&S).

He was at T6/7, UA Elite side. TDC, supes & a 3 striper initially refused his NEXUS. They eventually let him through but it was too late. He asked me to post this. I'm sure he will offer more details when he can.
Top of the bottom management often does things like this.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Wow. How long did the whole thing take to get cleared up at the WTMD?

Mike
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Today's #TSAfail:

I can tell you for sure this is wrong. NEXUS cards are acceptable forms of valid id, so these TSO's did not know their SOP.

LAX FAIL.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by senseker
I can tell you for sure this is wrong. NEXUS cards are acceptable forms of valid id, so these TSO's did not know their SOP.

LAX FAIL.
Seems to be an ongoing problem with TSA not knowing what ID is ok.

Who is responsible for signing off on a persons training before being assigned a job? That is the person who should be disciplined!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
sounds like all involved need to be decertified from there positions and sent packing. This is BS and needs to be taken up the chain and to congress. This has got to stop!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Typical TSA..

I suppose you could suggest your friend carry this document. It is a PDF from the TSA website. It lists what forms of ID are acceptable.

"US federal or state government-issued photo ID
• Must contain a name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and some tamper-resistant feature
• State IDs must meet REAL ID benchmarks; Federal IDs meet equivalent standards
• Examples: US passport, US passport card, “Trusted Traveler” cards (such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST), US military ID, Border Crossing Card, DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license, and any state-issued driver’s license that has received a REAL ID extension"

Link to the site:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I suppose you could suggest your friend carry this document. It is a PDF from the TSA website. It lists what forms of ID are acceptable.
Which works right up until the TDC says "the website is wrong" ...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which works right up until the TDC says "the website is wrong" ...
Which is what I've been on the receiving end of on more than one occasion. When the front liners don't know something, admit to not knowing it then take care of the situation properly. Don't lie. We've got you fact checked seven days from Sunday.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by senseker

LAX FAIL.
No suprise here. Happens to me more often than not.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Probably a useful exercise to print out a list of approved ID's from their own website and be prepared to wave it in the supervisor's face if this happens again.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Probably a useful exercise to print out a list of approved ID's from their own website and be prepared to wave it in the supervisor's face if this happens again.
Until they claim that the document is false, and they are all knowing!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
sounds like all involved need to be decertified from there positions and sent packing. This is BS and needs to be taken up the chain and to congress. This has got to stop!
Forget taking it up the chain. The ID check is illegal. It needs to go to the courts.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Forget taking it up the chain. The ID check is illegal. It needs to go to the courts.
Wouldn't a person have to be harmed before they could contest the ID requirement?

This FT may be in the position of being able to do so if they want to pursue action.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm the nefarious trusted traveler the OP is referring to and it was pretty ridiculous. The TDC was actually relatively nice and actually walked me through the unusually thick line to the WTMD after I had waited 30+ minutes. None of the 3 podiums had the big binder of IDs and I was not going to risk ID theft by pulling my passport or DL. I actually showed both her and the supe the TSA website on my phone, which clearly shows NEXUS is accepted. After I got through the WTMD (after I was told I needed a "quick pat down" by the TSO working the Gorilla Position (old WWF reference) at the WTMD because I had on a "bulky" sweatshirt. I put it through the X-Ray instead. I had already missed, so I went up to the "manager" (Ethiopian guy in a suit who was not an FSD, who I had asked for after the 3 striper pulled his garbage). I said I wanted to file a complaint against the supe, and the manager claimed he also told them that NEXUS "is not accepted at LAX" to which I flatly said "you are wrong, and it is scary that you don't know TSA policy regarding a federally issued ID." They wanted to write down my info on some piece of scratch paper, and I told them no. I will file formally on my way back.

Now for the good news. I don't hear a lot on here about UA's ground staff at LAX, but the reality is that the people who work airside, at least IMHO, are United's best people. One of the RCC people moved mountains to get me on the next IAD flight, which allowed me to make my connection and make this post from the comfort of the C-11 RCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.