Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nudescope UK - confidential and secure?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Nudescope UK - confidential and secure?

Now, I don't have a link to this. I was watching a BBC tv chat show in which Jonathan Ross was interviewing a major Bollywood star.

He said that he'd had to pass through the nudescope at LHR - presumably in the early stages, when it was still a voluntary trial being run at LHR. According to him, after he'd passed through, he was accosted by a couple of women (presumably staff but he didn't actually say so), with print outs of the naked image of him, asking him to autograph them.... He was quite amazed at how much the scanners could actually see of him under the clothes.

Now, if true, there are soooooo many breaches of security and protocol and personal data protection that that is pretty breathtaking. I repeat, this was a story he told on a chat show, in a light-hearted and amusing manner - so he could have been exaggerating it to make a better story. But it's hard to see someone in his position making up an outright lie as well...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I strongly suspect the "major Bollywood star" portion of this story is much more relevant than "passed through the nudescope". How much more likely (at LHR) is it that some other person of Indian origin noticed who it was and pointed it out to the crowd?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by star_world
I strongly suspect the "major Bollywood star" portion of this story is much more relevant than "passed through the nudescope".
But the allegation seems to imply that the printouts were from the nudescope. If true, this is really serious because I thought the basis of their installation was that it was not permissible to store or transmit the images (and that such facilities were therefore disabled).

If this story turns out to be true and not exaggerated (or jokingly created), then I would be quite morally outraged.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
But the allegation seems to imply that the printouts were from the nudescope. If true, this is really serious because I thought the basis of their installation was that it was not permissible to store or transmit the images (and that such facilities were therefore disabled).

If this story turns out to be true and not exaggerated (or jokingly created), then I would be quite morally outraged.
It's a story. I would suggest a very healthy dose of scepticism.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:01 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Well you know it's only a matter of time before nudeoscope pictures of Britney show up on the internet.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:10 am

The least they could do is provide some adult reading material for men to peruse in the line, You know, just in case their images end up being inadvertently released.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Exposed: Naked Body Scanner Images Of Film Star Printed, Circulated By Airport Staff

Shah Rukh signs off sexy body-scan printouts at Heathrow
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
It's a story. I would suggest a very healthy dose of scepticism.
Perhaps some of our friends in the UK can vouch for its accuracy?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Here's a link for the skeptics.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/exposed-...irculated.html

Perhaps some of our friends in the UK can vouch for its accuarcy?
Of course, that article would choose to use an already debunked picture as a representation of the scanner pictures. The original story is linked to IANS, but I cannot get their copy of the story to open (requires a login). Link I was able to find on the IANS pages is: http://www.ians.in/newlogin.php?Sno=...=4,4,&mod=news. No idea if they used any images on their original article or not. Based on the Yahoo news link, upthread, it does not appear that they do - I think PrisonPlanet added their own embellishments.

Last edited by DevilDog438; Feb 9, 2010 at 11:16 am
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Couple of problems I have with this story.

Let's say for the sake of argument here that the scanners in the UK can print images. How do you print several copies and distribute them to female employees at the airport in the time it takes between the scan being done and him walking out of the machine? His own description said he walked out of the machine and there they were with the printouts.

Second, he has a motivation for "enhancing" the story. He has a movie he is promoting.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:43 am

Long time reader, first time post

Second, he has a motivation for "enhancing" the story. He has a movie he is promoting.
yes, as does DHS and it's certainly one heck of a movie...stranger than fiction.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Airport staff circulate scans of film star

I just noticed this article about Heathrow staff circulating scanned photos of an actor: http://www.prisonplanet.com/exposed-...irculated.html
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:30 pm

I'm not sure how reliable that source is, especially since they include the debunked naked woman picture that was covered on PV.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by deadpass
I'm not sure how reliable that source is, especially since they include the debunked naked woman picture that was covered on PV.
Would Yahoo news be more to your liking?
http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20100206...dy-scan-p.html
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Nothing like this could ever happen in the US though!

Just another reason to avoid the UK - apparently they can print out scans unlike what their US counterparts claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.