Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

JFK Ground Security: Body found in ex-JFK DL 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Ground Security: Body found in ex-JFK DL 777

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
The body found at NRT was likely of a Nigerian man who climbed into the wheel well in LOS.

The 777 equipment used on this flight previously flew:

LOS-ATL
ATL-JFK

Then finally flew JFK-NRT where the body was found.
That sort of factual information won't be well received here Surely the TSA must be involved - somehow? Don't they have people in LOS?

If this is true then that is a huge slip-up by DL. So much for pre-flight inspections - two of them.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dianne47
When it comes to airline safety and security, this is one of the more frightening stories. I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this thread. Obviously, there is NO security on the tarmac at JFK. Appalling.
They have been far too busy with scoping out bus terminals and the Superbowl to worry about a little thing like tarmac security.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
They have been far too busy with scoping out bus terminals and the Superbowl to worry about a little thing like tarmac security.
I've been in LOS. They weren't big American Football fans....
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
That sort of factual information won't be well received here Surely the TSA must be involved - somehow? Don't they have people in LOS?

If this is true then that is a huge slip-up by DL. So much for pre-flight inspections - two of them.
Apparently the body was well up in the wheel bay and would not have been spotted by a pre-flight inspection.

The body was spotted by a mechanic who went up into the wheel bay at NRT.

I should note the man has not been identified (only described as a black male) and the report of the stowaway originating in LOS is unconfirmed (via reliable source), but IMHO is also the most likely scenario.

Equipment flew as follows:

DL 53 LOS-ATL AR 5:30am
DL 190 ATL-JFK LV 7:40am AR 9:55am
DL 59 JFK-NRT LV 12:40pm -- body found in NRT
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Apparently the body was well up in the wheel bay and would not have been spotted by a pre-flight inspection.

The body was spotted by a mechanic who went up into the wheel bay at NRT.

I should note the man has not been identified (only described as a black male) and the report of the stowaway originating in LOS is unconfirmed (via reliable source), but IMHO is also the most likely scenario.

Equipment flew as follows:

DL 53 LOS-ATL AR 5:30am
DL 190 ATL-JFK LV 7:40am AR 9:55am
DL 59 JFK-NRT LV 12:40pm -- body found in NRT
The poor man that found him. I can't imagine what the body looked like after that flight.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
FBI: Stowaway slips onto cross-country flight is another story, but this time with a twist on the usual stowaway story. Extremely worrisome. I'll skip the expected commentary on security theater.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.