Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Airlines should go after hoaxers, not jokesters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines should go after hoaxers, not jokesters

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post Airlines should go after hoaxers, not jokesters

On a recent flight to New York, Draco Slaughter, 75, was arrested on terrorism-related charges. His crime? He made a bad joke to a flight attendant. Slaughter did not exactly slay his audience. The joke not only resulted in a federal criminal charge but could result in seven years incarceration — the ultimate bomb of a joke.

Across the country, travelers are greeted with signs and announcements at airports warning them not to make jokes about bombs or weapons. It has become commonly known that making such jokes is a federal offense. It isn't. There is no Comic Relief Act that makes joking a violation of the U.S. Code. It is an urban legend intentionally created by threatening arrests and twisting existing laws. Even actual prosecutions are rare. In the meantime, there is not a single case of a terrorist warming up his victims with a lead-in joke.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...mn08_ST1_N.htm
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If jokes were illegal, we'd have no TSA.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:28 am

But....9/11, 9/11, 9/11
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by nbs2
But....9/11, 9/11, 9/11
And think of the children... won't somebody puh-leeze think of the poor, starving children...

I would agree with another poster... TSA is the ultimate joke. Unfortunately there are those in the audience who believe that TSA's shenanigans actually make us safer.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I believe former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani put it best:

"_____(noun)_____..._____(verb)_____ 9/11."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.