Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSO hitting on airport staff instead of working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

More unprofessionalism from the A checkpoint at CLT. CLT A checkpoint has someone pacing up and down the line, I'm guessing a BDO, but maybe just a supervisor (guy today had 2 stripes) and is usually a 2 striper.

A checkpoint is adjacent to Delta check=in. I guess the TSO had a crush on the lady working the delta counter. By the time I entered the line she said "could you please leave me alone and let me assist my customers" to the TSO. He kept leaning over the queue trying to talk to her...glad to know he was focusing on whatever he is supposed to do (mainly the person just paces where the crew lane is and occasionally talks to the TDC about how their weekend was).

I thought about taking a picture, but after the whole video taping thread I decided not to, plus the lady needs to file a complaint herself and hopefully she does. She seemed quite agitated.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by gj83
More unprofessionalism from the A checkpoint at CLT. CLT A checkpoint has someone pacing up and down the line, I'm guessing a BDO, but maybe just a supervisor (guy today had 2 stripes) and is usually a 2 striper.

A checkpoint is adjacent to Delta check=in. I guess the TSO had a crush on the lady working the delta counter. By the time I entered the line she said "could you please leave me alone and let me assist my customers" to the TSO. He kept leaning over the queue trying to talk to her...glad to know he was focusing on whatever he is supposed to do (mainly the person just paces where the crew lane is and occasionally talks to the TDC about how their weekend was).

I thought about taking a picture, but after the whole video taping thread I decided not to, plus the lady needs to file a complaint herself and hopefully she does. She seemed quite agitated.
I hope she files a complaint with Delta, the FSD, DHS, and TSA. Blogdad Bob goes from one PR faux pas to another and this might become his next hot potato.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:13 pm

Why not file a complaint yourself, with a copy to the airline? We've already seen what happens (Newark) when a TSO decides to pursue personal matters and (literally) turns their back on their job duties.

Plus, your report would provide corroboration to the lady in question, lest it become a "he-said, she-said" sort of dispute.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Why not file a complaint yourself, with a copy to the airline? We've already seen what happens (Newark) when a TSO decides to pursue personal matters and (literally) turns their back on their job duties.

Plus, your report would provide corroboration to the lady in question, lest it become a "he-said, she-said" sort of dispute.
Agreed with above. Based on your op it was a BDO. Was this day or night ?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

What exactly would the OP be complaining about? How is the OP involved in this matter at all? How do they know the TSO wasn't on a break? How do they know the two weren't playing around, and had been doing the same for weeks / months?

Save complaints for situations where they are warranted. This isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Was this day or night ?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
What exactly would the OP be complaining about? How is the OP involved in this matter at all? How do they know the TSO wasn't on a break? How do they know the two weren't playing around, and had been doing the same for weeks / months?

Save complaints for situations where they are warranted. This isn't one of them.

Dereliction of duty? Abandoning his assigned workplace? Sloughing off when he should be working?

There's a time and place for doing stuff like that and in front of passengers isn't one of those places even if you are on break. That BDO doesn't know the adage 'you don't get your meat where you get your bread.'
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Dereliction of duty? Abandoning his assigned workplace? Sloughing off when he should be working?

There's a time and place for doing stuff like that and in front of passengers isn't one of those places even if you are on break. That BDO doesn't know the adage 'you don't get your meat where you get your bread.'
Nonsense. Regardless of how strongly you feel about seeing something like this, you have no way of knowing the whole story. Just because something offends you doesn't give you the right to complain about it, you have to be wronged in some way.

Dereliction of duty? Abandoning his assigned workplace? How do you know they weren't on a break? Or even finished their shift? Or not started yet? Oh right - you don't know. Of course.

People need to get on with their lives sometimes rather than invent situations to complain about.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:48 pm

Nonsense. Regardless of how strongly you feel about seeing something like this, you have no way of knowing the whole story. Just because something offends you doesn't give you the right to complain about it, you have to be wronged in some way.

Dereliction of duty? Abandoning his assigned workplace? How do you know they weren't on a break? Or even finished their shift? Or not started yet? Oh right - you don't know. Of course.

People need to get on with their lives sometimes rather than invent situations to complain about.
From the OP:

Bolding mine.

Looks pretty much cut and dry. The Delta employee was being distracted by a TSA employee. The "please leave me alone and let me assist my customers" doesn't sound like someone who was involved with the other.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: United
From the classes that my employer put me through, this could be called third party sexual harassment. Go for that.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't hear anything the TSO was saying since this was going on 15 feet away, but the Delta lady was saying "Could you please leave me alone" loud enough that she made it our business. He would pace 1 time, then talk to her more.

There is always someone pacing the line so that is why I think it is an actual position and not someone off duty.

This was morning shift this morning. Since I wasn't part of the entire conversation and I've already complained about other TSOs I chose to just post here.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
From the OP:
Bolding mine.

Looks pretty much cut and dry. The Delta employee was being distracted by a TSA employee. The "please leave me alone and let me assist my customers" doesn't sound like someone who was involved with the other.
What do you mean by "cut and dry" exactly?

Are you familiar with how people act when they're flirting with each other? I can imagine those exact words said by someone telling a partner in a playful way to let them get back to work. You just don't know.

And even if you do know - again, the point stands - what does it have to do with the OP? Nothing.

What would you do if you saw a rent-a-cop in a supermarket doing the same thing with one of the employees? What would you do if you if you heard a parent shouting at their child? Do you have template complaint letters for all of these situations?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:53 pm

And what if it is a problem? Aren't passengers supposed to report anything that causes concern to them, out of an abundance of caution?

Look, I'm not suggesting that the OP hire a lawyer and call a press conference. He can report his observations as neutrally as possible, without drawing any conclusions, expressing his concerns, and then ask those who can render proper judgments to do so. What's the harm in that?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:55 pm
Suspended

What's the harm in that?
The fact that it's nothing to do with them? And more importantly - it's the fact that ridiculous, baseless complaints like this detract from legitimate complaints that should be made. Most public-facing entities receive so much crap from do-gooders whose eyes or ears have been offended by some nonsense like this, that they usually just ignore all complaints. That, to me, is a problem.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

There is always someone pacing the line so that is why I think it is an actual position and not someone off duty.

Clt bdos do not take their breaks pacing the line.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:59 pm

What do you mean by "cut and dry" exactly?

Are you familiar with how people act when they're flirting with each other? I can imagine those exact words said by someone telling a partner in a playful way to let them get back to work. You just don't know.

And even if you do know - again, the point stands - what does it have to do with the OP? Nothing.

What would you do if you saw a rent-a-cop in a supermarket doing the same thing with one of the employees? What would you do if you if you heard a parent shouting at their child? Do you have template complaint letters for all of these situations?
From what I read from the OP it sure didn't sound like flirting. Time and place and it was neither the time nor the place if the TSO was flirting.

Rent-a-cop in a supermarket is the supermarket's problem. They can't engage in un Constitutional behavior. A parent shouting at their child? Depends on what they're saying and yes I would poke my nose in if that child was being verbally abused because the verbal abuse doesn't leave leave marks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.