Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US 3079 LGA-SDF diverts, security concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1k
This just goes to show you that ignorance is what we really have to fear.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
Why go through all that trouble? Why not just ask the passenger what he's wearing? If it's a bomb, you might be able to prevent him from detonating it. If it's a bomb and you do nothing but wait for the plane to land at PHL, you're dead.

Am I missing something here?
Yes. If we accept your hypothetical that this passenger is a terrorist, with a bomb, what do you think the passenger is going to say if you walk up to him and say "Is that little black box a bomb?" Of course the passenger is going to say "No, it's not a bomb." (Unless the passenger is really stupid, I suppose.)

So, you walked up to the passenger, asked your question, and got an answer. Do you really know anything more than you did before you asked the question? Not really, since you could've predicted the answer. So, what was the point of asking the question in the first place? If he's really a terrorist, all you've done is tip him off that he's drawing attention to himself, which might make him more likely to act, not less.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Yes. If we accept your hypothetical that this passenger is a terrorist, with a bomb, what do you think the passenger is going to say if you walk up to him and say "Is that little black box a bomb?" Of course the passenger is going to say "No, it's not a bomb." (Unless the passenger is really stupid, I suppose.)

So, you walked up to the passenger, asked your question, and got an answer. Do you really know anything more than you did before you asked the question? Not really, since you could've predicted the answer. So, what was the point of asking the question in the first place? If he's really a terrorist, all you've done is tip him off that he's drawing attention to himself, which might make him more likely to act, not less.

You're cracking me up.

Why would the FA ask, "Is that a bomb?"

Instead, she would just speak to the passenger and ask about the item, in a non-accusatory way.

And as we are now finding out, that is EXACTLY what she did. Here's the latest update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdt-...ayer_embedded#

It turns out the the passenger explained what he had to the FA very nicely, but the pilot decided to call the situation an "emergency" anyway.

Hate to say it, but I'm beginning to sense that anti-Semitism may have played a part in the flight crew's decision to not trust a 17-year-old BOY wearing an item made of leather and plastic.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Angry it was bound to happen

Originally Posted by bocastephen
*&!#%*$ !!!

Time for another lawsuit against US Scareways!

*&!#%*$ idiots.
oh, you got that right <grrrrrrr>

Originally Posted by craz
I guess the captian asked the FA, Ok did you see if he had any horns? If he doesnt he's up to something, as we all from the South knows that Jews have horns.
this nice jewish had his horns removed for just that reason

Originally Posted by alan747
This might be a dumb question, but do you think the crew member took the time to ask the passenger what he was doing?
why? panic is a much better approach

Originally Posted by Sean5294
Just to stir the pot a little bit. Would it have made a difference if the guy was a Muslim? Praying was always something we were supposed to look for.
just who is the "we" and what is the "something" you are supposed to look for? what if a pax was catholic and decided to cross themselves before takeoff? i have a better thought.....xenophobia (see the second paragraph of my post here from back in 2007)

Originally Posted by windwalker
just wait till someone who practices voodoo starts worshiping
can we make a voodoo doll in the likeness of the tsa?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:48 am
Suspended

Hey if this Chief Inspector cant explain it correctly (they are not attached 1 to the other, nor does he know what to call them "an old factory" LoL)

how can we expect the FA to understand what was up

link to AP video of the CI; http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...video=17740266
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:48 am

You're cracking me up.
Then my mission here is done.

Why would the FA ask, "Is that a bomb?"

Instead, she would just speak to the passenger and ask about the item, in a non-accusatory way.

And as we are now finding out, that is EXACTLY what she did. Here's the latest update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdt-...ayer_embedded#

It turns out the the passenger explained what he had to the FA very nicely, but the pilot decided to call the situation an "emergency" anyway.
Which actually goes to prove my point. Apparently, the answer to the question provided by the passenger had absolutely no effect on the decision to declare an emergency. So what, exactly, was gained by asking the question?

Hate to say it, but I'm beginning to sense that anti-Semitism may have played a part in the flight crew's decision to not trust a 17-year-old BOY wearing an item made of leather and plastic.
I'm not going to accuse someone of that sort of crime based on second-hand reports. On the other hand, Hanlon's Razor may apply nicely here.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, LAN, Delta, United
1. So the flight attendant did ask. Good for her.
2. She told the pilot there was a "situation" anyway!?!?! Bad for her.
3. The pilot, given all the information he was, is a moron for diverting.
4. We are doomed as a country.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Our nation of cowards and idiots continues its decline, thanks to a "primarily there for your safety" idiot flight attendant.
Originally Posted by globe_spinner
This just goes to show you that ignorance is what we really have to fear.
+1.

And I can almost picture most of the general public nodding approvingly to all these "abundance of caution" and "better safe than sorry" theatrical overreactions. Sad to say that these ignorant cowards and idiots are really saying they'd be better red than dead.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I'm not going to accuse someone of that sort of crime based on second-hand reports. On the other hand, Hanlon's Razor may apply nicely here.
I really want to believe it's just stupidity, too. But why would the flight crew freak out over a "suspicious" item that (1) went through security, (2) the passenger was doing nothing to hide, (3) the FA saw upclose, (4) is made out of leather and plastic? There must have been something "suspicious" about the passenger himself -- a polite, 17-year-old boy. Maybe it's because he's dressed as an Orthodox Jew.

Originally Posted by alan747
1. So the flight attendant did ask. Good for her.
2. She told the pilot there was a "situation" anyway!?!?! Bad for her.
3. The pilot, given all the information he was, is a moron for diverting.
4. We are doomed as a country.
I agree with #1-3. #4, no. This incident is just another of those dumb things that shouldn't happen, but do.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by windwalker
just wait till someone who practices voodoo starts worshiping
Originally Posted by LessO2

Is it me, or does that look familiar?

Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by craz
Hey if this Chief Inspector cant explain it correctly (they are not attached 1 to the other, nor does he know what to call them "an old factory" LoL)

how can we expect the FA to understand what was up

link to AP video of the CI; http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...video=17740266
I think he said "olfactory" (as in "sense of smell"). Either way, I believe he meant phylacteries.

I could see how an RJ crew might get a little freaked out seeing someone strapping leather boxes onto himself in mid flight. My guess is that the vast, vast majority of Americans have never seen or heard of teffllin. Heck, most Jews I know don't even know how to wear them. But once everything was explained, I really don't see why the captain continued with the diversion. All I know is that it's a good thing no FAMs were on board, or we might have a dead 17yo on our hands.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: DL-PM, HH-Diamond, SWA-AList, National-Executive
Originally Posted by goalie
oh, you got that right can we make a voodoo doll in the likeness of the tsa?
I'll buy one of those. We can all carry them in our carryons and the screeners will have to look at 'em. Great idea.

Rick
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by _rds
I'll buy one of those. We can all carry them in our carryons and the screeners will have to look at 'em. Great idea.

Rick
Buy several and use a knitting needle as a skewer.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
The real point to this incident is even the airlines do not trust the TSA to do their job anymore.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It just dawned on me that this is the second Big Scare™ with a RJ that did not involve an intercept with F-16s. Someone must think aircraft of this size are not a risk, so this should be another nail in the coffin of LASP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.