US 3079 LGA-SDF diverts, security concerns

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Gotta love TSA Spin - Prayer is now "disruptive"
(emphasis mine)
To be fair ... the quote says they were notified of a "disruptive" passenger. That is, someone else made the initial determination that the passenger was being disruptive, not TSA.

Originally Posted by craz
what I dont get is why that guy didnt pray before getting on the RJ. He could have prayed starting at appx 6:20am.
Who says he didn't? People pray all the time ... before flight, during flight, after flight, ...

It's a sad day when you have to start ringing your flight attendant in order to get permission to say a prayer ...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:49 am

So some jittery FA who's never heard of anything that's not WASP diverts the flight, costing her employer HOW MUCH?

Seems to me that maybe a little training would be cheaper for the airline.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Originally Posted by craz
OK I can understand the FA might not have known what the guy was putting on, and got worried

what I dont get is why that guy didnt pray before getting on the RJ. He could have prayed starting at appx 6:20am.

Given the choice, Id pray standing in the term over my seat (especially on an RJ) any time.
Someone posted the same question on theyeshivaworld.com

if plane departed LaGuardia at 7:25 a.m, what’s to problem daven before ? You can put Tefillin around 6.20 am.

Comment by homell — January 21, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Kind of interesting? And some calling for a boycott of US Airways.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
It is quite likely that in the rush to get to the airport or get to the gate for the flight, there was not enough time to daven. That said, it was the pax choice when he wanted to daven and I can only imagine how he felt when questioned...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Who says he didn't? People pray all the time ... before flight, during flight, after flight, ...

It's a sad day when you have to start ringing your flight attendant in order to get permission to say a prayer ...
+1
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
http://wcbstv.com/local/Bomb.Scare.p...2.1439828.html

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
Philadelphia police respond to Philadelphia International Airport where an emergency was been declared regarding US Airways Flight 3079 on Jan. 21, 2010.
CBS

A flight from New York's La Guardia Airport was diverted to Philadelphia after a bomb scare Thursday morning.

US Air flight 3079 from LaGuardia to Louisville was diverted to Philly after a male removed a "religious device" after takeoff prompting a bomb scare aboard the plane.

The commuter plane that normally seats 50 passengers is operated by Chautauqua Airlines and flies under the US Airways name.

The plane departed LaGuardia at 7:25 a.m. and landed in Philadelphia at about 9 a.m. surrounded by Homeland Security and Philadelphia Police Bomb Squad.

Sources say the passenger was an Orthodox Jewish man who took out a religious article that is worn on the head with leather straps.

The passenger, a U.S. citizen, was questioned and has not been charged.

The flight will continue to its original destination and the man is permitted to remain on board.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Correct - but there is no follow on information about whether US ScAirways is going to permit this passenger to continue on his intended journey.
The article was updated to say that he is back on that flight. It just left the gate, but hasn't taken off yet.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlibers
http://wcbstv.com/local/Bomb.Scare.p...2.1439828.html

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) ― Click to enlarge1 of 1
Philadelphia police respond to Philadelphia International Airport where an emergency was been declared regarding US Airways Flight 3079 on Jan. 21, 2010.
CBS

A flight from New York's La Guardia Airport was diverted to Philadelphia after a bomb scare Thursday morning.

US Air flight 3079 from LaGuardia to Louisville was diverted to Philly after a male removed a "religious device" after takeoff prompting a bomb scare aboard the plane.

The commuter plane that normally seats 50 passengers is operated by Chautauqua Airlines and flies under the US Airways name.

The plane departed LaGuardia at 7:25 a.m. and landed in Philadelphia at about 9 a.m. surrounded by Homeland Security and Philadelphia Police Bomb Squad.

Sources say the passenger was an Orthodox Jewish man who took out a religious article that is worn on the head with leather straps.

The passenger, a U.S. citizen, was questioned and has not been charged.

The flight will continue to its original destination and the man is permitted to remain on board.
I guess the captian asked the FA, Ok did you see if he had any horns? If he doesnt hes up to something, as we all from the South knows that Jews have horns.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, LAN, Delta, United
This might be a dumb question, but do you think the crew member took the time to ask the passenger what he was doing?

Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
From the story: Chief Inspector Sullivan praised the work of the agencies involved. "Our emergency response plan worked perfectly," he said.

Well, of course it did. There was NO emergency!!!!!!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlibers
Someone posted the same question on theyeshivaworld.com

if plane departed LaGuardia at 7:25 a.m, what’s to problem daven before ? You can put Tefillin around 6.20 am.

Comment by homell — January 21, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Kind of interesting? And some calling for a boycott of US Airways.
that wasnt me

I see no reason for a Boycott, got to remember it wasnt USAir but some puddle jumper outfit flying for US. And those crew members probably dont run into Religious praying all too often. It was a Chautauqua Flight so a Boycott would have to include CO & UA & other carriers that Chautauqua flys for as well
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by alan747
This might be a dumb question, but do you think the crew member took the time to ask the passenger what he was doing?
To be fair ... what would be the point? If the FA thinks he's a terrorist, why would (s)he trust anything the passenger says in explanation?

Yet another entry for the War on the Unexpected.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:32 am

Just to stir the pot a little bit. Would it have made a difference if the guy was a Muslim? Praying was always something we were supposed to look for.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Sean5294
Just to stir the pot a little bit. Would it have made a difference if the guy was a Muslim? Praying was always something we were supposed to look for.
And how would you know if he was a Muslim? Islam is a religion, not a race.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
From the story: Chief Inspector Sullivan praised the work of the agencies involved. "Our emergency response plan worked perfectly," he said.

Well, of course it did. There was NO emergency!!!!!!
Yes, they know the next time one of them thar devout Hasidics dare to get on a plane and pray anywhere in the northeast, just send them to Philly - they've proven they can handle them!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.