Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESTA and Dual Passports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Hand them both, tell them which one the ESTA is "in" & which you entered Oz with, and let them deal with it. Regardless of which they use for departure, use the ESTA'd one to enter the US. Happens all the time and no one is likely to blink an eye at it all.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
Thank you SeriouslyLost.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Use the NZ passport to exit Australia and the British passport (with ESTA) to enter the USA (and UK). There is no rule that says you have to use the same passport for the entire journey.

I hold NZ and British passports and I frequently exit NZ on the NZ passport and enter the UK on the British passport.

When departing the UK, to return to NZ, I show both passports and explain that I entered the UK on the British passport, but will be using the NZ passport to enter NZ.

When entering pre-flight information, I give details of the NZ passport.

I've never encountered any problem.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
Thanks Celle.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:58 am

Question

Hey Celle just wanted to know if you encountered any problems when you traveled to the USA with you british passport I’m doing the same I went to the USA on a Portuguese passport before but now I’m a UK citizen I’m using my British passport with a valid approved esta my Portuguese esta has expired will I be fine?
Originally Posted by celle
I have dual nationality, NZ and UK. Both are visa-waiver countries. It's perfectly legal for me to have and use 2 passports. I depart and re-enter NZ using my NZ passport and use the UK passport to enter and depart the UK.

When entering/ transitting the US, I usually use my NZ passport.

Using my NZ passport details, I have already applied for (and been granted) the on-line ESTA for my 3-day stay in the US in March 2010.

I now may need to do a quick trip from NZ to the UK at the end of this month, transitting through LAX.

Rather than going on-line and altering details of my proposed accommodation in Florida in March (and then having to alter them again after the January trip), I am considering applying for a new ESTA, using my UK passport details.

Since my fingerprints and facial recognition are already somewhere in the system (from previous entries to the US) but are presumably linked to my NZ passport, will I have a problem at LAX when I arrive and am fingerprinted etc, using the UK passport?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You will have no problem so long as the British passport and the ESTA are valid.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Reviving this thread with another similar question:

I will soon have to send in my NZ passport (which has an ESTA) to the US consulate in Auckland to have a work visa approved/put in it. I'll be without the passport for possibly 2 months. In that time I need to go to the US for a week for a conference. I'm assuming I could apply for an ESTA on my UK passport and travel to the US on that while my NZ passport is being processed at the consulate?

I could also go to the conference on my NZ passport and ESTA and then send in the NZ passport when I'm back. This is the simplest approach but would delay the work visa approval by at least a month.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Reviving this thread with another similar question:

I will soon have to send in my NZ passport (which has an ESTA) to the US consulate in Auckland to have a work visa approved/put in it. I'll be without the passport for possibly 2 months. In that time I need to go to the US for a week for a conference. I'm assuming I could apply for an ESTA on my UK passport and travel to the US on that while my NZ passport is being processed at the consulate?

I could also go to the conference on my NZ passport and ESTA and then send in the NZ passport when I'm back. This is the simplest approach but would delay the work visa approval by at least a month.
You can apply for an ESTA on the UK passport and it may get approved while the work visa approval is pending on the NZ passport. But it’s also possible the CBP may make an issue on arrival too in such instances to make sure your ESTA/US VWP use for visit to the conference is not of a nature that requires a work visa and this is not an attempt to front-run doing work in the US before getting the work visa in the NZ passport.

I would suggest prioritizing making sure the work visa approval is not delayed and being able to document to US CBP that the attendance at the conference is of a nature for which the US VWP/ESTA may be used and no work visa required.
SPN Lifer, NZ_Flyer and stifle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.