FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   New TSA Directive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1035026-new-tsa-directive.html)

hooterbif Jan 3, 2010 3:00 pm

New TSA Directive

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...In_From_Abroad
I replaced the link above because it wasn't working.

Here is an alternate to a similar story:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31122.html

d3van Jan 3, 2010 3:05 pm

I am interested, but the link failed for me.

bagelstan Jan 3, 2010 3:08 pm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...In_From_Abroad

US Tightens Airline Security Procedures

Kirsty Donald, Sky News Online
The US has tightened security procedures for airline passengers travelling into the country, with particular attention to those arriving from seven other nations.

All air passengers bound for America from foreign countries will face increased random screening under the new rules, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) confirmed.

But anyone travelling from Nigeria, Yemen, Pakistan, Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria will be subjected to extra checks.

They will all be patted down and have their hand luggage searched as part of the new procedures, which take effect on Monday.

The seven countries include four that the US lists as "state sponsors of terrorism" - Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria.

The TSA said the new rules, which have been issued to all airlines with flights into the US, included "long-term, sustainable security measures".

It has issued an order that: "... every individual flying into the US from anywhere in the world travelling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening.

"The directive also increases the use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for passengers on US bound international flights."

The new measures are being brought in after Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab allegedly tried to blow up a plane while he was on board a flight to Detroit on Christmas Day.

In the UK, airports operator BAA has announced plans to introduce full-body scanners at Heathrow "as soon as is practical".

jmd001 Jan 3, 2010 3:11 pm

Just go to http://news.sky.com/ and the link is on that home page.

However, since this info is not UA specific, it probably should be moved to another Forum.

Diplomatico Jan 3, 2010 3:11 pm

Whew! I feel safer knowing that all of those Cubans flying into the U.S. will be on double secret probation. :rolleyes:

Ripper3785 Jan 3, 2010 3:55 pm

How in the world can the US regulate the security procedures carried out by foreign flagged carriers and security personnel employed abroad?

On my flight HKG-SFO yesterday(CX), after the gate podium they had 20+ security people doing additional screening in the jetway. It went as follows.. I put my very full backpack on a table and they opened the big compartment only and looked in for a second. Mrs. Ripper3785 put her roll aboard on the table and they opened it and a guy went through a couple of layers, then zipped it up. I put my roll aboard on the table and a gal opened it to find the most full bag you can imagine. She realized that if she were to go through it at all, that she would disturb the delicate balance that allowed the bag to close. So she looked around the edges, without even prodding in, and then had me close it up. Then I got a pat down where the guy never even touched my back pockets. Not to say anything poorly of HKG security folks, but this is more faux security, ala TSA.

They'd have to have non-TSA US government employed security folks at the origin of all US bound flights to ensure adherence to US security requirements. Hate to think of the cost of that. Think healthcare will be expensive? HA. If the systems had communicated as they should have, then the christmas attack wouldn't have happened and they wouldn't have enacted all this idiotic procedures that likely still wouldn't thwart a similar attempt.

There's always going to be some hole that is obvious to regular fliers that the gov't doesn't do anything about until it's exploited. Then they change the rules and they don't prevent the same thing from happening again. :mad:

They haven't increased security, they've increased inconvenience.

RichardInSF Jan 3, 2010 4:56 pm

My question is, does this mean the end of universal hand screening for all passengers flying into the U.S., which was started after the 12/25 incident? If so, it is a loosening of recent security procedures, but announced as a tightening.

Can someone comment on this?

Mats Jan 3, 2010 5:42 pm

That's how I read this RichardSF. It's not practical to frisk/refrisk and perform detailed hand inspection of every passenger. So they're going to go back to random searches (same as pre-Christmas), but add passengers from 7 countries to the selectee list.

It appears to me that the TSA is announcing, "No more 100% frisking and hand inspection" under the guise of "increased security for certain passengers.

A partially bald friend of mine just had them go through his hair at CDG.

This does not, however, address the particularly insane restrictions on Canada-US flights.

oldpenny16 Jan 3, 2010 5:47 pm

Nor does it address the situation that in the US a woman wearing an underwire bra is really in for a major league 'feel'. To solve this problem for myself, I am now flying 'commando' and feeling very snug about it.

Mr. Mastodon Flyer Jan 3, 2010 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 13104445)
My question is, does this mean the end of universal hand screening for all passengers flying into the U.S., which was started after the 12/25 incident? If so, it is a loosening of recent security procedures, but announced as a tightening.

Can someone comment on this?

I don't know, but they were still hand-screening everybody today when I flew into Dulles from Heathrow.

DIFIN Jan 3, 2010 6:04 pm

part of the story I read reads in part "This list was developed between Homeland Security and the State Department using the latest intelligence, a senior federal official told NBC"

NOW DON'T THAT JUST MAKE YOU FEEL SO MUCH SAFER?:td:

onlyairfare Jan 3, 2010 6:23 pm

Do any of the people who make the regulations and procedures actually get on a commercial aircraft and travel? Do they 1) have a brain, and 2) use it?

farrish11 Jan 3, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by onlyairfare (Post 13104884)
Do any of the people who make the regulations and procedures actually get on a commercial aircraft and travel? Do they 1) have a brain, and 2) use it?

I'm guessing these three questions were rhetorical, but I'll take a stab anyway...

1. No
2. No
3. No

onlyairfare Jan 3, 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by farrish11 (Post 13105291)
I'm guessing these three questions were rhetorical, but I'll take a stab anyway...

1. No
2. No
3. No

+1
Those would be my guesses too.

SNA_Flyer Jan 3, 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 13104140)
How in the world can the US regulate the security procedures carried out by foreign flagged carriers and security personnel employed abroad?

On my flight HKG-SFO yesterday(CX), after the gate podium they had 20+ security people doing additional screening in the jetway. It went as follows..

The joke that you described is exactly the same as I experienced in SCL the other day. One quick cursory glance in my roller and my backpack, and I was on my way. I could have had anything in there and it wouldn't have mattered. Total, utter Security Theater. Of course, when my items went through the normal x-ray machine at the regular security area, any credible threat items would have been discovered there.

I really wish all of these other countries would just tell the TSA and DHS a big, giant, and wet F... U over this crap. I'm so sick of it it kills me. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: