Wiki Posts
Search

UK to install full body scanners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
UK to install full body scanners

Approval has now been granted for the UK to start installing the full body scanners

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8438355.stm

Although doubt do exist as to whether they actually work:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13101269-post5.html

Last edited by Physci; Jan 3, 2010 at 5:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BAA by way of BA/BMI/etc. start levying a "surcharge" on passengers for the privilege of being scanned by these over-hyped machines.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Physci
Approval has now been granted for the UK to start installing the full body scanners
As if I needed another reason to avoid the loony bin called LHR!!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Physci

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8438355.stm

Although doubt do exist as to whether they actually work:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13101269-post5.html
They work quite well, but as with all technology they have their limitations. They are not the "golden bullet" that some think they are when trying to combat an enemy that is adaptive, dedicated, and reasonably intelligent.

WBI's are but one more layer that the terrorists must consider when planning operations against targets that use this type of technology. And no technology is effective unless those who operate it are adaptive, dedicated, and intelligent.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
They work quite well, but as with all technology they have their limitations. They are not the "golden bullet" that some think they are when trying to combat an enemy that is adaptive, dedicated, and reasonably intelligent.

WBI's are but one more layer that the terrorists must consider when planning operations against targets that use this type of technology. And no technology is effective unless those who operate it are adaptive, dedicated, and intelligent.
We certainly will have issues with that in the US!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TSORon

No amount of TSA propaganda is going to change the fact that strip search machines do not detect explosives.

Nor will TSA propaganda change the fact that if the strip search machines alarms are going to be investigated thoroughly (even as the machines do not even detect explosives), then menstruating women with sanitary pads or partially sticking out tampons will be strip searched physically or the items physically removed for hand inspection by the airport "security" peeping Toms.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No amount of TSA propaganda is going to change the fact that strip search machines do not detect explosives.

Nor will TSA propaganda change the fact that if the strip search machines alarms are going to be investigated thoroughly (even as the machines do not even detect explosives), then menstruating women with sanitary pads or partially sticking out tampons will be strip searched physically or the items physically removed for hand inspection by the airport "security" peeping Toms.
TSORon, are you going to order the strip search of a menstruating woman? Of a a pax flying with a catheter or colostomy bag?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
As if I needed another reason to avoid the loony bin called LHR!!
As well as places like AMS - and most US airports.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alanR
As well as places like AMS - and most US airports.
^ I'm excited about getting many more hours of my life back traveling this year. Airports will be empty if there are enough people with this mindset. It's great
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mre5765
TSORon, are you going to order the strip search of a menstruating woman? Of a a pax flying with a catheter or colostomy bag?
TSORon, there are a number of people interested in an answer to the above.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Of a a pax flying with a catheter or colostomy bag?
Does the volume of it have to limited to 3.3oz?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: Virgin, United, Qantas
Originally Posted by ajax
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BAA by way of BA/BMI/etc. start levying a "surcharge" on passengers for the privilege of being scanned by these over-hyped machines.
Now that LGW is no longer owned by BAA we might start to get a distinct different in service between the airports.

It will be interesting to see how they can apply the techniques used at LCY to a larger airport - even though LGW is the furthest of the London airports from my home I would certainly use them if there starts to be a difference in service.

Hopefully use of the scanners is one area where there will be a tangible difference.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by star_world
^ I'm excited about getting many more hours of my life back traveling this year. Airports will be empty if there are enough people with this mindset. It's great
Good luck with your short-sighted and surrender-to-terrorism "plan".

Empty airports = heavy airline losses.

Heavy airline losses = bankruptcy.

Be careful what you so glibly and foolishly wish for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.