Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?

Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by SATTSO
There is no device that would detect an explosive up someones backside. If you think the puffer would, think again.

But what amazes me is that it shocks many of you that others (not employees of TSA or the government) do no agree with your values and opinions. Why should everyone have the same values and opinions? Is it not possible for honest people to come to different conclusions about what is acceptable?
Opinions, with a big enough sample, group out in the bell curve. Nothing unusual about that at all. If everyone on this site ever agreed 100% with each other, I would be shocked.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
There is no device that would detect an explosive up someones backside. If you think the puffer would, think again.

But what amazes me is that it shocks many of you that others (not employees of TSA or the government) do no agree with your values and opinions. Why should everyone have the same values and opinions? Is it not possible for honest people to come to different conclusions about what is acceptable?
You ever have a dog shove his nose between the cheeks and take a wiff? I would bet the dog before I bet any technology.

What amazes me is the load of crap that the Government has sold the people. Face it most folks stick to their own little world and if they are told by the "experts", that have a vested interest, that the Nude-O-Scope can stop terrorist they will believe it.

Try to deny that the Nude-O-Scope can be beaten by a big breasted woman.

The Nude-O-Scope is WORTHLESS in preventing terrorists, costs $170k, is too invasive for common travelers, and did I mention it was worthless.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:45 am
Suspended

What are all of you who are no opposed to full body scans going to say when a suicide bomber blows up a shopping center or two, after which you will have to go through WBI in order to go do your shopping? Will you draw the line there?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by doober
What are all of you who are no opposed to full body scans going to say when a suicide bomber blows up a shopping center or two, after which you will have to go through WBI in order to go do your shopping? Will you draw the line there?
^ Personally, I'm frankly amazed that terrorists haven't gone for such soft targets here in the US.

What will DHS do then? What will the American people tolerate in the name of "security" when their favorite malls and sports arenas start blowing up?

~~ Irish
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Having passengers undergo a colonoscopy before every flight might actually save more lives than nude-o-scopes. Think of the benefits of early detection of bowel cancer ... @:-)

"Sir you're good to fly. I suggest you get those polyps removed, when you get to Houston."
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Having passengers undergo a colonoscopy before every flight might actually save more lives than nude-o-scopes. Think of the benefits of early detection of bowel cancer ... @:-)

"Sir you're good to fly. I suggest you get those polyps removed, when you get to Houston."
No one would want to do the prep 24 hours before flight.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
^ Personally, I'm frankly amazed that terrorists haven't gone for such soft targets here in the US.

What will DHS do then? What will the American people tolerate in the name of "security" when their favorite malls and sports arenas start blowing up?

~~ Irish
Maybe they will work from the deadmalls.com list.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow

~~ Irish
If they did the results would be regional in scope. You drop a plane it effects the whole system nation wide.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Opinions, with a big enough sample, group out in the bell curve. Nothing unusual about that at all. If everyone on this site ever agreed 100% with each other, I would be shocked.
Exactly. I'm glad you cite the bell curve. There will be people on either extremes, and many people just left or right if a majority opinion. Which means there will be varying degrees of opinions by a majority of people, so it shouldn't shock anyone that others are willing to accept something they themselves would not.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You ever have a dog shove his nose between the cheeks and take a wiff? I would bet the dog before I bet any technology.

What amazes me is the load of crap that the Government has sold the people. Face it most folks stick to their own little world and if they are told by the "experts", that have a vested interest, that the Nude-O-Scope can stop terrorist they will believe it.

Try to deny that the Nude-O-Scope can be beaten by a big breasted woman.

The Nude-O-Scope is WORTHLESS in preventing terrorists, costs $170k, is too invasive for common travelers, and did I mention it was worthless.
So you would have everyones butt crack sniffed by a dog? Who would find that offensive.

People with large folds of skin/flesh that could not be scanned have to be pat-down on those areas.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:59 am

If they did the results would be regional in scope. You drop a plane it effects the whole system nation wide.
The immediate effects would be regional -- but the long term effects? I don't know. We seem to have a pretty substantial population out there who expect "the government" to keep us all 100% safe from everything all the time. Mind my words -- little old grannies in East Nowhere will be screaming for WTMD's and WBI's.

~~ Irish
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:03 am
Suspended

I wouldn't bet on that. You'll recall that after 9/11, it was the folks in the middle of the country who most believed that they would be the target of a terrorist attack. These same folks would stop going to malls believing their favorite mall would be the next to be attacked.

Irish, I've often wondered why we've not been attacked internally and have come to the conclusion that there are few, if any, home-grown terrorists (whatever their background) who are willing to die in a suicide bombing. Life in the USofA is too good to sacrifice oneself.

Would a terrorist be willing to come from Yemen to blow himself up at a mall here? Who knows - it certainly is not as glamorous as an airplane.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by alanR
As long as you aren't the one profiled as a terrorist because you are brown / Muslim / having a steel cable for securing your laptop.

My husband is brown/muslim/from North Africa. He supports profiling. He believes that its the only effective security.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:25 am

The "Butt Bomb" has been done, not well, but it has been done.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...kgYItnBQkJXmTN
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by COGal
My husband is brown/muslim/from North Africa. He supports profiling. He believes that its the only effective security.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but facts are another story.

Too bad it will work like it did for the AMS-DTW flight with the "underwear bomber" and the MIA-CDG flight with the "shoe bomber": the profiling system worked as it was designed to fail and it failed to detect explosives. So much for TSA-approved profiling.

Don't want explosives smuggled on board planes? Here are the facts: strip search machines and strip searches do not detect explosives and neither does profiling of passengers regardless of the denial of boarding to an Irish woman being used as an unwitting mule. Bomb-sniffing dogs, ETDs, ETPs and the like do actually detect explosives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.