Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Agents seize travel bloggers computer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by thewinchester
The only reason this got to MSM status was the hard graft of a number of travel writers/professionals raising the stakes and getting this story out to as many contacts as possible.

These links give some good insight into just how much hard work has gone into getting awareness of the story:
https://twitter.com/#search?q=%23tsafail
http://wthashtag.com/Tsafail
That is awesome! And I have not even used the #tsaFAIL hashtag in any of my Tweets in case anyone thinks I am driving this.

EDIT: And yes, it has been our FT bloggers that have been doing the heavy lifting here. Kudos to them!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This is yet another new low for a government agency -- and the government itself -- that seemingly could get no lower. As others have said, these tactics resemble those of totalitarian states, not the U.S. in which I grew up. And it's certainly not the "change" that I voted for in November 2008. It's change, all right, but in the wrong direction. I'm appalled.

Bruce
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I know you've had a horrible couple of days that would never want to have but something doesn't sound correct about this TSA guy. It sounds like he's a Govenment employee yet has a private business that can benefit financially from his action as a Government employee.
Olton,

I am not sure what info you are reading, but there two agents. I verified who they were both while in my home and again after they left my home. They are very must US Federal Special Agents

Here is some basic info on TSA Special Agents
http://www.tsa.gov/join/benefits/soa...estigator.shtm
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I can see from now on I should use other means to get sensitive infos, such that they can never be smart enough to trace

This is a bad move on their part, it will backfire. Maybe bad for us as citizens as well however.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:22 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Ruby Ridge, Waco, Flyertalk - shades of J Edna Hoover once again.

This is so reminiscent of the Steve Jackson RPG raids in the 1990s that it's just not funny.

Not even remotely.

US citizens take note - your tax dollars at work. The founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sefrischling
You're telling me! They were in my house for a few hours last night...and again this morning walking off with a laptop.

That tends to be a definition of 'unreal!'
I have to ask why you didn't tell these thugs to go pound sand? Or call real police on them and have them arrested?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:38 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I can see from now on I should use other means to get sensitive infos, such that they can never be smart enough to trace

This is a bad move on their part, it will backfire. Maybe bad for us as citizens as well however.
You could do as I do, use an Amiga 4000 to access the internet from home.

I'd love to see some GovCo agency try to trawl through my computer.

"Hey, ... does Kickstart 3.1 mean?????"
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I might have to watch C-SPAN when the congress critters return. This could be good entertainment watching DHS/TSA try to explain their way out of this. I predict a minimum of 25 ahs,ums, etc. per minute from the respondants.
Any bets on whether Senator Feingold and/or Leahy would be willing to make an issue of this? Senator Schumer loves the camera more.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any bets on whether Senator Feingold and/or Leahy would be willing to make an issue of this? Senator Schumer loves the camera more.
The most dangerous place in the world is standing between Schumer and a camera.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steph3n

The tactics adopted in Communist China by political dissidents there using the internet and other means to peacefully challenge the government's actions and statements are long overdue for use by ordinary persons in the US too.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mileena
he should have resisted and then he would've had to go to court to assert journalistic immunity.
Unless this is something very new, there is no federal press shield law. Some states have them, but they do not apply to federal courts. In other words, a journalist who asserts journalistic immunity in a federal court will be told by the judge to answer the questions or to be in jail on contempt of court charges until he purges himself of the contempt.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
Unless this is something very new, there is no federal press shield law. Some states have them, but they do not apply to federal courts. In other words, a journalist who asserts journalistic immunity in a federal court will be told by the judge to answer the questions or to be in jail on contempt of court charges until he purges himself of the contempt.
..... that's assuming a federal prosecutor and/or court would even try to pursue charges against these two travel writers. I have my doubts that there are that many federal prosecutors who want to make themselves into a laughing stock by taking up a matter only to chalk up a predictable own-goal.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
..... that's assuming a federal prosecutor and/or court would even try to pursue charges against these two travel writers. I have my doubts that there are that many federal prosecutors who want to make themselves into a laughing stock by taking up a matter only to chalk up a predictable own-goal.
^^ remember this - The government didn't appeal Fofana, and settled the ACLU matter. That is a clear indication of how poorly the Department of Justice regards the legal acumen of the TSA Office of General Counsel.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by n4zhg
I have to ask why you didn't tell these thugs to go pound sand? Or call real police on them and have them arrested?
1) Both gentleman at my house are currently US Federal Agents, side-arm and all. Both were former Secret Service. One served at the Director of Counter Terrorism the other is former Director of Global Security. Both recently left other positions to join the TSA in the role of Special Agent. Collectively these two agents have 50+ years as a Secret Service Agents

The TSA was not sending out rent-a-cops, nor was I dealing with agents who were wet behind the ears.

2) I was speaking with and am continuing to speak with an attorney. Do not assume otherwise.

i am not going to be discussing specific details of what has happened on certain levels for a variety of reason.

...and I know about the agents because I did some digging around to find out who they were. I didn't ask them their background, but it wasn't that hard to find either.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I realize that this is far too easy for me to say from my safe distance, but I would have told these "special" agents the following: "I would really love to answer all of your questions, but I just can't without my attorney present. Until then, I'm going to execise my constitutional right to remain silent. Is that OK with you?" What can they say to that? Arrest you? Fine. Some things are worth it. I was once arrested for failing to obey an unlawful order. When my court date arrived, the judge expunged the arrest record.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.