Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Maybe then they'll respect the authoritie of the U.S.A.

Fly to Seattle, drive to Vancouver. Always was my preference anyway.
or vice versa to avoid the US stupidity rules. Drive to vancouver fly anywhere but the US and avoid the rules.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Been gate and checkpoint groped around the groin area several times in the past by TSA, but recently, no.
Things will become even more fun for the folks with bladder control issues who wear things like Depends.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
and amost verbatim stupidity on the ua website.....

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53307,00.html

this nonsense has to stop!

Please note the word "excluded." It's not INCLUDED. It's EXCLUDED.

Resume your normal posting
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by JimYUL
Although the restrictions have now "possibly" been eased, I did find the solution for peeing in your seat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqtMkBipIs
Perfect, just like the TSA’s Security Theatre you get a brief nice warm feeling, then the realization that you are sitting in a cold puddle of pee.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by zipadee
Please note the word "excluded." It's not INCLUDED. It's EXCLUDED.

Resume your normal posting
Yes, but that still implies that I cannot take a rollerboard into the plane.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Yes, but that still implies that I cannot take a rollerboard into the plane.
That is correct. Such items are now (stupidly) prohibited. The ban is on, "...any carry-on baggage..." and the listed items are excluded from the ban. The ban is currently in place through tomorrow.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:21 pm

I have used Air Canada in the past to go to the US (sometimes its cheaper to connect in Toronto). I do not typically take all my stuff as carry on, since I am rather small and can't lug much weight around. However, this list still excludes a large number of items I consider vital or too important to check for international air travel (typically more than 20 hours until the destination in my case):

Wallet with money and documents (unless it is in the purse??)
Documents for the trip (ESTA, vaccination certificates, hotel reservations, contacts, etc)
Pens
Keys
Glasses
PDA/cell phone/mp3 player or other electronics (I though battery powered stuff should not be checked!)
Food (why are airplane portions so small??)
Toothpaste + toothbrush
Deodorant
Earplugs
Sweater
Rubber-soled socks
Book

I have a reservation with them for early 2010. Thinking seriously of calling and informing that I will not fly if these restrictions are in place, demanding a full refund.

This is absurd.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
That is correct. Such items are now (stupidly) prohibited. The ban is on, "...any carry-on baggage..." and the listed items are excluded from the ban. The ban is currently in place through tomorrow.
Reminds me of a Condor flight FRA-OSL-TLS-FRA where luggage as such was also prohibited !
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Reminds me of a Condor flight FRA-OSL-TLS-FRA where luggage as such was also prohibited !
Yes, but on that flight we knew everyone already had a safe place to store bags!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
but it wasn't an absolute ban. Just if you were flying FRA-OSL were you subject to the ban. OSL-TLS-FRA was not subject to the ban
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
DHS just set a record for fastest backpedal. This story was updated about 20 minutes ago with a TSA quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/29/us...y.html?_r=1&hp
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I have used Air Canada in the past to go to the US (sometimes its cheaper to connect in Toronto). I do not typically take all my stuff as carry on, since I am rather small and can't lug much weight around. However, this list still excludes a large number of items I consider vital or too important to check for international air travel (typically more than 20 hours until the destination in my case):

Wallet with money and documents (unless it is in the purse??)
Documents for the trip (ESTA, vaccination certificates, hotel reservations, contacts, etc)
Pens
Keys
Glasses
PDA/cell phone/mp3 player or other electronics (I though battery powered stuff should not be checked!)
Food (why are airplane portions so small??)
Toothpaste + toothbrush
Deodorant
Earplugs
Sweater
Rubber-soled socks
Book

I have a reservation with them for early 2010. Thinking seriously of calling and informing that I will not fly if these restrictions are in place, demanding a full refund.

This is absurd.
Agree that it's absurd. I also think that I (and probably you) could fit most, if not all, of your list into my laptop bag with my laptop - excluded from the prohibited list.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Agree that it's absurd. I also think that I (and probably you) could fit most, if not all, of your list into my laptop bag with my laptop - excluded from the prohibited list.
That's exactly how I travel.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It is not entirely clear to me that you can take a laptop BAG, just the laptop. My laptop is 17" and I use a backpack because most bags are too small. Guess I'm SOL for now. And no way would I put my keys in checked luggage. Won't be traveling ex-Canada any time soon.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by goalie
and amost verbatim stupidity on the ua website.....

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53307,00.html
Travel from Canada to the United States

Customers traveling from any Canadian destination to the United States should be advised that effective December 28, Transport Canada (a department of the Canadian government) put into place a ban on any carry-on baggage that customers would have access to during flight.

Items that are excluded from this restriction include small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, diplomatic or consular bags, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life-sustaining items, medications and medical devices, musical instruments and special-needs items. This directive is in effect until 9:00 p.m. EST on December 29, 2009, although it may be extended.
this nonsense has to stop!
Aren't clothes in a carry-on bag considered life-sustaining items? Given this is winter in Canada, I'd like to see how someone survives naked in the outdoors around YYZ at this time of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.