Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Just saw this on Fox News..
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581153,00.html

Happened on landing or just prior to. A couple of Passengers were injured and taken to the hospital.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
U beat me by 3 minutes in posting!
I just read it on Earthlink: http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...d-ed1ebb4d7e94
But the time on the article is 6:04 PM EST today--over 2 hours into the future from now!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:54 pm

Good Idea: Shooting off fireworks to celebrate.

Bad Idea: Shooting off fireworks to celebrate while in an airplane.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
U beat me by 3 minutes in posting!
I just read it on Earthlink: http://enews.earthlink.net/article/t...d-ed1ebb4d7e94
But the time on the article is 6:04 PM EST today--over 2 hours into the future from now!
Its the ghost of Christmas stories yet to come.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I actually haven't flown out of AMS in more than 20 years. Is Dutch airport security as, ah, tolerant as the general image Dutch society presents to the world?

To quote myself in the Newsstand post of the same incident, I take off my shoes at home and get groped in Europe to be allowed through security to fly and this still happens? Emoticons almost fail me.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being the flight was bound for Detroit, they probably thought nothing of things like that.

P.S. Hey Fox, make up you mind....was it Delta or Northwest?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
I actually haven't flown out of AMS in more than 20 years. Is Dutch airport security as, ah, tolerant as the general image Dutch society presents to the world?
I flew this same flight back in May. Security at AMS was ... well, different. We had checked luggage, so we avoided any liquids issues by checking all our liquids. Laptops had to be scanned separately. I honestly don't remember if we had to take off our shoes, though my memory suggests that we didn't. (On the other hand, we woke up at 2am local time that day in order to make our connecting flight to AMS, so my memory is understandably a bit hazy.)

We did, however, have to deal with the typical US-bound interview process (where did you stay, what electrical devices are in your bags, who packed your bags, etc.), which I suspect doesn't really do much good anymore.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2
Being the flight was bound for Detroit, they probably thought nothing of things like that.

Let's have a big Shout Out for ABC as well:

Man Attempts to Set Off Explosives on Plane
Two Injured in Northwest Airlines Flight From Amsterdam to Detroit

Federal officials and police are interviewing a Nigerian man, who allegedly tried to "explode" a powdery substance aboard a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, injuring himself and two other passengers, law enforcement officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/explosi...ory?id=9423871
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: M&M, AA GLD, FB
Originally Posted by Fredd
"explode" a powdery substance
Oh, snap. Can you say.... pppppowder ban?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Slightly OT, I flew a NW flight from LHR-DTW a few weeks ago. It was an NW flight number, the BP said "Operated by Northwest" and DL was nowhere to be seen... until I got to the gate. It was a DL 767, the FAs were all saying "Delta this" and "Delta that", "Delta welcomes you onboard," "Thanks for flying Delta," etc.

Aside from the flight number, it was as if Northwest didn't exist, which I suppose it doesn't.

You can't blame Fox for getting confused. I'm sure it was a Delta plane run by Delta Airlines, but which was "operated" by Northwest with an NW flight number.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:09 pm

The confusion is undoubtedly natural. When I took this same flight back in May, it still had the Northwest flight number, but the plane was a Delta plane, as were all of the on-board logos, magazines, in-flight entertainment, etc.. (Remember that Delta is in the process of assimilating Northwest ...)
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:11 pm

CBS is now quoting ABC:

ABC News is reporting that "the man said he was directed by al Qaeda to explode a small device in flight, over U.S. soil." But, ABC adds that "authorities have no corroboration of that information, and the credibility of the suspect's statements are being questioned, officials said."

The man was apparently on the government's no-fly list of suspected terrorists, a senior intelligence official told ABC.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...html?tag=stack

And it was starting off as a slow news day...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:13 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Over / under on how many days before we see a "powder ban" and / or mandatory swabs on all carry-ons? Or ban on any "ignition sources"? Or "empty all pockets"?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I flew AMS-DTW on Sunday. Thankfully an A330 and not a 767. I think it was at least 3 hours late due to snow in AMS. At least I didn't have to empty my KLM Delft house of liquor going through security.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:23 pm

It's NW according to the Most Trusted Name in News:

(CNN) -- A passenger ignited fireworks Friday at the end of a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to Detroit, Michigan, a Delta Air Lines spokeswoman said.

The passenger was immediately subdued, according to Susan Elliott, spokeswoman for Delta, Northwest's parent company. The incident resulted in some minor injuries, Elliott said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.