SOP discussion

Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What "fall-out" will impact the "front-line TSOs and FAMs"? The TSA front-end and back-end stink in terms of effectiveness and this won't change -- for better or even worse -- the awful trend of the TSA engaging in mission creep and opposing efforts at transparency and accountability.
The point I was trying to make is that those who hold "the ring" do not have to face the wrath of the public (or terrorists). Now the good TSO has to deal with "Joe Public" in his face holding the SOP, and the FAM -- already in a "Secret Service semi-covert" position, has to grow another set of eyes in the back of his paranoid head.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Associated Press
AP News Article

"WASHINGTON An Obama administration official says some Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave after it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.
I thought the Federal goverment wasn't allowed to discuss disciplinary proceedings against TSA employees ...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I posted the timeline of the story from my POV this morning. Included in it are a whole bunch of links to the various places that the story is being covered, including:Those are roughly in chronological order.

I must say that watching the hit-count ticker on my blog stats roll over the way it has the past couple days has been entertaining. There usually aren't that many digits in the numbers.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
That's why we have to say NO to crap like "Team SFO" and return to Argenbright-like companies with little government interference and lots of accountability requirements.
Argenbright was hell - the only difference was you could slap them around without the police running over to intervene (mainly because the police weren't always hanging around checkpoints back then). The only positive was being able to escalate your issues to the airline or airport manager, because screener behavior and HR matters reported directly to them.

Our path to salvation will come via the introduction of new, effective and efficient (but not invasive) technology systems which will render the screening process quick, painless and minimize interaction with screening staff.

If TSA management didn't squander millions on silly uniforms or fancy award dinners, and knew how to manage vendor relationships, they could have tasked industry to create such devices by now - but we all know that's not their real priority, so they will never deliver.

Given their inability to effectively restrict the viewing of sensitive data on a simple document, my assumption about their ability to develop, test and implement complex security technology systems is right about nil.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:22 am

LA Times has an original story as well today that was picked up by the Houston Chronicle.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I thought the Federal goverment wasn't allowed to discuss disciplinary proceedings against TSA employees ...
Never underestimate the bite of a injured wild animal while it flails around. This beast is going to scream and snap at anything that moves until it feels the damage has been undermined.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Spiff
AP News Article

"WASHINGTON An Obama administration official says some Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave after it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman has told senators a full investigation into the security lapse is under way. Heyman says the Homeland Security Department is stopping the posting of documents with sensitive security information either in full or in part on the Internet until the TSA review is complete."

Big deal. The entire agency should be put on permanent leave.
My, this action seems extreme for an "obsolete" document??

First, we had "security theater.". Now, we have "administrative leave theater."
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Argenbright was hell - the only difference was you could slap them around without the police running over to intervene (mainly because the police weren't always hanging around checkpoints back then). The only positive was being able to escalate your issues to the airline or airport manager, because screener behavior and HR matters reported directly to them.
Argenbright was just fine. They can use ETP/ETD to properly check for explosives and WTMD to check for firearms. The airline/airport manager should be over them; the federal government should stay the hell out of airport security except to bring a world of hurt onto screeners who step out of line or passengers who knowingly violate published federal laws.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Our path to salvation will come via the introduction of new, effective and efficient (but not invasive) technology systems which will render the screening process quick, painless and minimize interaction with screening staff.
Concur.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I hope it wasn't Blogger Bob that got suspended.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comment from a wise Fark poster:

"We took a bunch of minimum wage mall cops, gave them federal badges and mixed in an ...-ton of bureaucracy. It's not news, it's a predictable outcome."
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by amejr999
Just a quick reminder that the SOP is labeled as SSI, and posting information from it on a public forum might expose you to personal liability. It's unlikely, but certainly possible.

Now... anyone know a reporter who wants a scoop?

You may laugh but I would be more worried for the folks who still have it on line that I am for the five people on paid vacation at TSA for posting it. TSA has over 300 lawyers alone (not including ones at DHS and other federal entities) and there is no permanent leadership at TSA so there are a lot of people looking to make a name for themselves. Getting all the web pages turned off or in some other legal trouble that still have it posted may be a way to make that name.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by warning1369
You may laugh but I would be more worried for the folks who still have it on line that I am for the five people on paid vacation at TSA for posting it. TSA has over 300 lawyers alone (not including ones at DHS and other federal entities) and there is no permanent leadership at TSA so there are a lot of people looking to make a name for themselves. Getting all the web pages turned off or in some other legal trouble that still have it posted may be a way to make that name.
Not going to happen. The horse is long gone.

Also, any non-US website is under no obligation to take orders from a US judge, assuming that one would be willing to issue such an order.

If there are 300 lawyers on the TSA payroll, then that's just one more reason that this disgusting, un-American agency should be destroyed.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
You may laugh but I would be more worried for the folks who still have it on line that I am for the five people on paid vacation at TSA for posting it.
You mean places like ABCNews.com that show what was reacted?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why in the world would TSA need more than 300 lawyers when they have Francine the Googling Lawyer?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:11 pm

cf. Pentagon Papers.

And thanks for telling us that it was five placed on administrative leave. You may now be on the line for disclosing that info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.