Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

FOIA request for rules TSA requires passengers follow at airport checkpoint; advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FOIA request for rules TSA requires passengers follow at airport checkpoint; advice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You da man!! I bow before your awesome research abilities.

Direct link PDF warning.

I have already saved a copy in case they decide to pull the PDF.
Direct link already pulled. Looks like there might be a few folks in some serious trouble tomorrow morning. Wish them well.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Direct link already pulled. Looks like there might be a few folks in some serious trouble tomorrow morning. Wish them well.
No worries http://www.rebelmodel.com/tsa/SOP_NO_SSI.pdf PDF WARNING
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:07 pm

...And the modified they indirect link so that both SOPs are removed....

Whoopsie.

Ladies and gents, I beg you to place any copy that you have made on any server you can find. The genie can not go back in the bottle.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Ladies and gents, I beg you to place any copy that you have made on any server you can find. The genie can not go back in the bottle.
Anyone know someone at AP or Reuters so the genie can get some press?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...And the modified they indirect link so that both SOPs are removed....

Whoopsie.

Dump a copy on wikileaks.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
pmocek,

It's a good weekend, isn't it?

http://cryptome.org/tsa-screening.zip a good enough start with or without the FOIA request?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Dump a copy on wikileaks.
Submission policy at Wikileaks doesn't allow previously published documents.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by greentips
I'd ask for the following:

Operations Directive 400-50-1-8, Travel Document Checker Implementation Procedures

and any subsequent revisions, updates or replacements to same.
One of the best suggestions on FOIA that I have heard in some time is that after you put in your request, wait some amount of time, and then ask for all written correspondence that discussed how to respond to your first request.

-Mike
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Phil, this might help:

http://www.papersplease.org/wp/wp-co...tsa_id_sop.pdf
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
That is the same as the cryptome document but with the redactions actually in place. The recent copy has more data than that version.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Good luck with that one, TSA would be alot more hesitant to release that since it details how to perform procedures... so I'm pretty sure that would go under a pretty intense FOIA review.
I don't follow your logic. You wrote that because a document details how thousands of our public employees are supposed to perform the job we pay them to do for us -- a job that involves their interaction with us -- the federal agency that oversees those employees would be hesitant to let us see the document. What makes you think that?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Deeg
Under my understanding of FOIA law, you cannot force an agency to create a document for you that doesn't already exist. Thus, you can ask for any existing policies or SOP's, but if they don't have regulatory citations in them, then you're out of luck.
that is correct (I am involved daily in FOIA work) ... I would ask for more than "rules" or "regulations" since this can be narrowly interpreted; consider including "policies" and "guidance documents" to include items not published in the Federal Register or promulgated as regulations.

At the agency I'm most familiar with, FOIAs asking for "all" documents relating to X or Y are not denied outright unless it is so voluminous as to be absurd/burdensome, in which case the agency should call the requester to narrow the request, rather than just deny it.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by pmocek
I don't follow your logic. You wrote that because a document details how thousands of our public employees are supposed to perform the job we pay them to do for us -- a job that involves their interaction with us -- the federal agency that oversees those employees would be hesitant to let us see the document. What makes you think that?
Yes and no. Yes, because it details how us thousands of public employees are supposed to perform our job... in GREAT DETAIL. It esentially tells how you exactly to perform the pat-down, how to search a bag and more.

No, because of course, it will be released to you anyways under FOIA, but it will be a lengthy process because it's going to go under a nice amount of overview and what needs to be redacted from public view and IMO, it's alot.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmocek
Good luck with that one, TSA would be alot more hesitant to release that since it details how to perform procedures... so I'm pretty sure that would go under a pretty intense FOIA review.
Yes and no. Yes, because it details how us thousands of public employees are supposed to perform our job... in GREAT DETAIL. It esentially tells how you exactly to perform the pat-down, how to search a bag and more.

No, because of course, it will be released to you anyways under FOIA, but it will be a lengthy process because it's going to go under a nice amount of overview and what needs to be redacted from public view and IMO, it's alot.
Thanks for the slight elaboration, but you didn't answer my question, instead mostly repeating yourself. I understand that you believe that because a document details how our public employees are supposed to perform their job of interacting with the public, the federal agency that oversees those employees would be hesitant to let us see the document. You already wrote that. The question is: What makes you think that? Why would the fact that a given document contains a federal job description be reason to be hesitant to release the document to the general public? I can think of one, and that would be if the job was secret. But we're not discussing CIA spies, we're discussing TSA luggage inspectors.

You may have hinted at your reasoning. Is it the description of how to perform a pat-down of someone or that of how to search a bag being included in the job description that makes you think the employer would naturally want to keep the job description in the hands of thousands of lowest-level employees, but hidden from the public who employ those people? I don't think that pat-down and bag searching procedures are particularly sensitive information. In fact, I don't think that anything shared with the thousands of people TSA already shares information like that which we're discussing is shared -- people who turn over at nearly 50% per year, if I remember correctly -- should be considered any more secret than, say, McDonald's french frying procedures. It would be very easy for anyone who wants to know how to pat someone down for weapons, search someone's luggage, or make fries to A) guess how it's done, B) convince a TSA or McDonald's employee or ex-employee to share the information, or C) pick up the copy of TSA or McDonald's SOP manual that is left sitting around at the checkpoint or restaurant and read it.

So, can you please explain what it is about the fact that a document describes how all these TSA airport bag checkers and people searchers are supposed to do their job makes you assume that TSA would be hesitant to allow the general public to see that document?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
FliesWay2Much is correct. The more you tailor your request, the better your chances. That said, I wouldn't expect much. Francine the Googling lawyer and her subordinates easily ignore the laws that govern our country. The other day I had the opportunity to discuss TSA with a senior DHS person, and asked him when the Department was going to step in and provide some adult leadership, now that TSA had suffered yet another embarrassing court defeat. Specifically, I said, "are you guys going to wait until TSA has been spanked in every District Court in the country before you act?" His response was that unless Napolitano weighs in, probably not. He said lower level DHS personnel have pointed out to TSA management that they aren't exactly building a stellar track record in the courts, and Francine et al simply don't care - they believe they can do just about anything they want in the guise of "protecting" America.

Halls, think this same senior DHS person would give you the same answer today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.