FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1017373-flyer-processed-arrested-nm-after-declining-show-id.html)

Random_Flyer Nov 16, 2009 2:19 am

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

"Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Nov 16th, 2009 by sherri

Today a traveler going through the Albuquerque airport was detained and is reportedly in the process of arrest after politely refusing to show his ID. Phil Mocek, a Seattle area native, was traveling with his friend Jesse Gallagos when he politely declined to show ID to TSA agents."

Full piece here:
http://philosecurity.org/2009/11/16/...ing-to-show-id

From the name and links I'm guessing that this is the same pmocek that posts here on FT in this very forum.

Anyone have any updates?

Trollkiller Nov 16, 2009 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer (Post 12825735)
"Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Nov 16th, 2009 by sherri

Today a traveler going through the Albuquerque airport was detained and is reportedly in the process of arrest after politely refusing to show his ID. Phil Mocek, a Seattle area native, was traveling with his friend Jesse Gallagos when he politely declined to show ID to TSA agents."

Full piece here:
http://philosecurity.org/2009/11/16/...ing-to-show-id

From the name and links I'm guessing that this is the same pmocek that posts here on FT in this very forum.

Anyone have any updates?

This should get interesting. Keep us posted.

Boggie Dog Nov 16, 2009 7:30 am

Depending on how this moves forward is there any means to coordinate a defense fund for Phil?

doober Nov 16, 2009 7:34 am

Good for Phil!!!!! Yes, TK, this could get very interesting. Phil hit all sorts of hot buttons at once. I admire him.

If you read Sherri's blog a little further you will see that apparently her doctor's office is requiring a photo ID each and every time a patient comes in for a visit - in compliance with some FTC rule, allegedly designed to stop identity theft. Seems to me the more often one is required to have one's ID available for review and scanning, the greater the chance of having one's identity stolen.

Photo ID to see doctor

AngryMiller Nov 16, 2009 7:37 am

Arrested? Bizarre. I hope that TSO and cop have deep pockets.

bocastephen Nov 16, 2009 7:39 am

Does anyone know how to reach Phil or his travel companion? If he hasn't already been booked and arraigned, it looks like they're just going to hold him there to make a point and show off how tough they are - I hope he has legal counsel and pursues this matter through the courts.

doober Nov 16, 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 12826251)
Does anyone know how to reach Phil or his travel companion? If he hasn't already been booked and arraigned, it looks like they're just going to hold him there to make a point and show off how tough they are - I hope he has legal counsel and pursues this matter through the courts.

Perhaps you could reach him through the blog?

I would imagine that he set this up very, very carefully and had received legal counsel prior to showing up at the airport.

4444 Nov 16, 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by AngryMiller (Post 12826242)
Arrested? Bizarre. I hope that TSO and cop have deep pockets.

not necessarily. although 100% right, he may still have been a disturbance. might be very hard to prove that he wasnt. being arrested for not showing id is one thing but im sure the police will cover their bases by claiming he was disturbing the peace...

Spiff Nov 16, 2009 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 12826198)
Depending on how this moves forward is there any means to coordinate a defense fund for Phil?

Count me in for a contribution.

Boggie Dog Nov 16, 2009 7:58 am

Blogger Bob, any comments?

bocastephen Nov 16, 2009 8:02 am

Originally Posted by doober (Post 12826265)
....I would imagine that he set this up very, very carefully and had received legal counsel prior to showing up at the airport.

Hmmm very interesting. So perhaps this was a setup - and the intention will be to take the ABQ cops and TSA to court for a 'show' trial. In this case, I'm going to fasten my seatbelt and get ready to enjoy the ride.

Kudos to Phil for his willingness to push the envelope even at personal risk.

Trollkiller Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 12826273)
not necessarily. although 100% right, he may still have been a disturbance. might be very hard to prove that he wasnt. being arrested for not showing id is one thing but im sure the police will cover their bases by claiming he was disturbing the peace...

Who's peace was he disturbing? He can't disturb the TSO's peace and he can't disturb the cop's peace.

If his video shows that he was not acting out of hand then they have nothing.

What concerns me is his partner that by the account I read was not doing ANYTHING, was seized by the police, and removed from public property for knowing Phil.

Sounds to me like a 1st & 4th Amendment violation.

Trollkiller Nov 16, 2009 8:16 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 12826370)
Hmmm very interesting. So perhaps this was a setup - and the intention will be to take the ABQ cops and TSA to court for a 'show' trial. In this case, I'm going to fasten my seatbelt and get ready to enjoy the ride.

Kudos to Phil for his willingness to push the envelope even at personal risk.

I prefer the term "test case".

Paolo01 Nov 16, 2009 8:24 am

I really just do not understand this argument. I love the freedom that we have in the US to not show ID doing 90% of what we do. I love the fact that I have driven across the US at least 8 times and you never have to show ID at any point. You just have freedom to roam in this country. I love it. On the other hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that in order to board an airplane, the airline or the TSA would want to verify that you are the person that the boarding pass says that you are. I have heard all of the arguments against this and they all sound like a 10 yo arguing about why something isn't 'fair'. Now, if you can demonstrate to me that we can go back to the days of no ID to board an airplane, then let's hear it, but I see no way this can be seen as even inconvenient.

By the way, I cannot watch the video on my current machine so I have not actually seen waht happened, just what is related on this thread.

Spiff Nov 16, 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Paolo01 (Post 12826514)
On the other hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that in order to board an airplane, the airline or the TSA would want to verify that you are the person that the boarding pass says that you are. I have heard all of the arguments against this and they all sound like a 10 yo arguing about why something isn't 'fair'. Now, if you can demonstrate to me that we can go back to the days of no ID to board an airplane, then let's hear it, but I see no way this can be seen as even inconvenient.

The airlines, yes. For revenue protection.

The TSA, absolutely not. They have no valid reason to check ID.