Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
I'm pretty sure there are cases where a property owner has said "you're welcome to come on to my property, but you can't bring any guns with you." Then somebody comes onto the property with a gun and gets popped for criminal trespass, because permission to enter the property was conditional and the trespasser violated the condition, thereby invaliding the permission. I suppose the state could make an analogous argument here: Travelers are granted permission to enter the airport property only on the condition that they not refuse to show ID if/when they're asked; Phil violated that condition and therefore was there without permission.

It's a terrible argument from a civil liberties perspective, because it converts every violation of the "house rules" into a crime, but prosecutors have tried it before.
What about a public street or building that is part of a university in a state that allows CCW? I was under the impression that the university can ask you to leave if you are carrying and if you refuse, then that is trespassing. But it wasn't automatically trespassing if you weren't asked to leave.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:46 pm

Name: MOSACK, PHILLIP A Person ID: 100197260 Booking #: 130573629 Arrest ID: 140686571

Booking Date: 11/15/2009 Time: 20:32 Arresting Agency: BCDC Arresting Officer: JUAN ZAMORA 93623
Arrest Date: 11/15/2009 Time: 14:37 Arrest Location: 2200 SUNPORT SE CHECK POINT

Booking Date: 11/15/2009 Time: 20:32 Arresting Agency: APD Arresting Officer: ROBERT DILLEY 1493
Arrest Date: 11/15/2009 Time: 14:37 Arrest Location: 2200 SUNPORT SE CHECK POINT

Charges: Type: Counts: Statute: Description:
MD 1 30-20-1(B) DISORDERLY CONDUCT
PM 1 12-2-16 CONCEAL IDENTITY
MD 1 12-2-19 REFUSE TO OBEY AN OFFICER
PM 1 12-2-3 CRIMINAL TRESPASS
I was wrong about the statute in that they have booked him under City of Albuquerque ordinances (except the disorderly conduct, which is State), but I think they are basically the same as the state statutes.

Now I am curious as to why he was booked under city ordinances except for the one State one. The city also has a disorderly conduct ordinance.

Last edited by ND Sol; Nov 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Criminal trespass? Anyone speculate how that could potentially be valid?
Yes, he did and he will get his first-degree of misdemeanor charge and trespassing into the sterile areas. He does not have any proper ID & BP through at security. If you see someone who does not have any without authorization ID badge or boarding pass and it will be subject to be arrested as trespassing charge.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Well, well... Isn't it a strange coincidence that Blogdad Bob just happened to post about reminding us holiday travelers that we can still fly if we forget our IDs? About two minutes after, somebody probably in the next cubicle posted a puppy response.

He's baiting us, folks, and buying time before Phil's debacle bites the TSA's posterior.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Nov 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, he did and he will get his first-degree of misdemeanor charge and trespassing into the sterile areas. He does not have any proper ID & BP through at security. If you see someone who does not have any without authorization ID badge or boarding pass and it will be subject to be arrested as trespassing charge.
We're all speculating but if this was an ID check at the TDC, he was NOT in the sterile area. The previous poster who said he a person asked to leave and refused to do so seems more likely.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I see Bob conveniently posted an ID blog post on PV today. However, no mention of Phil's arrest. Seems coincidental to say the least.
From Blogger Bob:

If we can’t confirm your identity with the information you provide or you’re not willing to provide us with the information to help us make a determination, you may not be able to fly.
May not be able to fly? That is chilling.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:05 pm

Free Phil

Hi folks. I'm a member of the nonprofit group that sent Phil to the International Drug Policy Reform Conference in Albuquerque. I've been working on getting Phil out of jail since Jesse called me around 1 p.m. Sunday.

I can't speak for Phil, but I'm guessing he, quite simply, felt like declining to show his ID was the right thing to do, not because he felt like making a case against TSA. I think what really triggered things was when the supervisor discovered him recording (or taking photographs, I don't know) and called in the police. I think when the police arrived, the situation probably moved far beyond a point where dialogue, or even backing off one's position, could calm the many heads that had become involved.

Interestingly, I learned through this Philosecurity post that Phil had contacted the Albuquerque airport months prior -- and a number of other airports -- about photography rules at the airport, and specifically at the TSA checkpoint. The email dialogue between Phil Mocek and Susanne Spencer from the Transportation Security Administration is archived here on FlyerTalk.

When I spoke with the jail last night around 7 p.m. MST, they still had no record of Phil. The airport police told me earlier in the day that they wouldn't answer any of my questions (the officer, Paul, refused to even provide a last name). The lady at the jail was actually helpful, and after some research, eventually found Phil was going through the "booking process," but that it was taking a long time because he wasn't cooperating, and that he'd be done with that as soon as he cooperated.

I asked her what "cooperate" meant, and she explained that he was at the medical examiner's office, and refused to answer questions about what medications he might be taking, whether he was under psychiatric supervision, and so forth. I laughed to myself and thought, good luck with that. I'm guessing that Phil told them from the very get go, this is the information I believe I am legally required to give you -- name, address, date of birth -- and beyond that, I refuse to answer any questions. I was happy to hear that, 6-7 hours in to his arrest -- still undocumented in the Albuquerque police or jail systems -- he seemed to be standing his ground.

Currently, I and others are still working pretty hard to see Phil out of jail. I'm not sure what his intent is after he is out -- I have plan, train, bus and automobile options and pricing in the works. We're really just trying to get him and Jesse -- who is also stuck in Albuquerque, and though not in jail, had a pretty rough, sometimes freezing cold night last night while we tried to get our fax technology to a point where we could secure a hotel room in this oddly-fax-based world. The CDC folks in Seattle feel a bit like we left our boys behind, so to speak.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm Reason: remove solicitation
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the blog:

Any legal basis for ordering a traveling companion to leave an airport under threat of arrest or for "banning" that companion from the airport property for 24 hours?
Given this specific scenario, no, there is no legal basis for doing so.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:15 pm

Lot's o' Google hits for Phil.

CDC volunteer arrested at Albuquerque airport | Cannabis Defense ...Nov 16, 2009 ... Interestingly, Phil contacted the Albuquerque airport (scroll down a bit and look for the pmocek ... TSA Arrest Activist for Not Showing ID ...
http://cdc.coop/tsa_arrest

TSA Arrest Activist for Not Showing IDNov 16, 2009 ... CDC | At the Albuquerque airport for his flight back to Seattle, ... Activist Phil Mocek is one of many Americans who believe Americans have a .... Arrested for taking pictures? TSA and all it's employees are owned by us ...
http://www.infowars.com/tsa-arrest-a...ot-showing-id/

TSA Arrest Activist for Not Showing ID | Gulag BlogNov 16, 2009 ... A d v e r t i s e m e n t; big brother TSA Arrest Activist for ... A Washington State medical marijuana activist was arrested at the Albuquerque airport today ... Activist Phil Mocek is one of many Americans who believe ...
http://www.gulagblog.com/?p=36595

Chicago Bears Message Boards - Activist arrested at Albuquerque ...6 posts - 4 authors - Last post: 28 minutes ago
"A Washington State medical marijuana activist was arrested at the Albuquerque airport today after refusing to show ID to TSA screeners. ...
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...howThread.aspx

Lawson's AssignmentsInterestingly, Phil contacted the Albuquerque airport (scroll down a bit and ... at the Albuquerque airport today after refusing to show ID to TSA screeners. ... Mocek was immediately arrested. Another Seattle activist, Jesse Gallagos, ...
http://lawsonsassignments.blogspot.com/

The News - PrisonPlanet.tvNov 14, 2009 ... TSA Arrest Activist for Not Showing ID 16 Nov 2009 | 10:27 am ... A Washington State medical marijuana activist was arrested at the Albuquerque airport today ... Activist Phil Mocek is one of many Americans who believe ...
http://prisonplanet.tv/latest-news.html
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Then what presenting ID to our brethren over in CBP to enter the country, something that is required at every single border checkpoint in every country of the world, whither it be air, sea or land?
Oy.

1. Immigration Officers are LEOs, i.e. they have the power of arrest and detention.

2. 4th and 5th Amendment rights do not pertain (at least to the same extent) at U.S. borders.

3. TSOs are not LEOs and do not have the power of arrest and detention.

4. TSOs are constrained to an administrative search which is confined to ensuring against entry into the sterile area with weapons, explosives or incendiaries. This search must be "minimally intrusive."

There is no comparison between what happens at Immigration upon entering the country and what happens at airports with respect to flying on a commercial aircraft.

I'm surprised you don't this.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Phil -- It's pretty obvious and folks have stated this before, but, in the heat of battle when you're a free citizen again, please don't compromise the integrity of any legal action you plan to take by blabbing about it here on FT or on any other public blog. Heck, don't even talk about the incident on any medium which could be used against you. Lots of us are pulling for you.

As much as we want to know the gory details down to the color of the cop's eyebrows, please resist the temptation. I'm torn about going public with the video your companion was able to take before being detained himself. I would certainly make sure you have a duplicate copy of it. If you decide to post it on Youtube or somewhere else, I would let the record stand and don't include any commentary beyond time, date, place, etc. Chances are good that PV will provide all sorts of opportunity for people to vent on the incident.

If anyone on FT has a closer relationship with Phil, perhaps some reinforcing via PM would be appropriate.
Excellent, excellent advice. Note, too, that Phil was arrested -- he shouldn't be talking to anyone but his attorney.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:59 pm

From http://cdc.coop/tsa_arrest

Updates

Mon, Nov 16, 2009, 4:20 p.m. MST -- We think we've finally posted Phil's bond. According to most sources, he should be out of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Detention Center in 4-8 hours. We are working to secure him legal representation in Albuquerque. Cost estimates are about $2,000-4,000 for a retainer. Hoping he has heard somehow that people have been working to get him out. Incommunicado for 28 hours and counting.

If anyone with an account on FlyerTalk can ask a moderator to unban the new account "Ben Livingston" I'd appreciate it. I just posted a message in the thread about Phil's situation, and found myself banned for spamming.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The nuance that might have set the Smurfs aflutter could have been the difference between "Oops, I forgot my drivers license. What can we do?" and "Sorry, I'm not going to show you my ID".

Can any of our forum legal experts provide some context around how long it is legal to be held in a jail cell without formal charges, and beyond that, until arraigned?

Isn't there a time limit before Habeus Corpus is essentially violated?
Where have you been??? Bush got rid of habeus corpus under the (UN)patriot act.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Material witness.
but i thought that had to be ordered (i.e. warrant issued) by the d.a?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 5:30 pm

I say props! I wish I had the guts to do this, but i'm too passive-aggressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.