Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sounds like this entire episode is being neatly packaged by the cops as 'creating a disturbance' - let's see if that holds up in court.
Don't worry, I'm sure the TSA has the videotape cued up and ready to show on the blog. Unless, of course, it looks unfavorable, in which case it will disappear.

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
After Mr. Mocek was detained, “[Police] asked if he was with anyone, and he indicated he was flying with Jesse,” said Mr. Livingston. “The police told Jesse he would also be arrested if he did not leave the compound. They demanded and received Jesse’s ID, then drove him in a police cruiser off the airport property, where they informed him that he was banned from the property for 24 hours.
so jesse was "detained" under guilt by association?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Then what presenting ID to our brethren over in CBP to enter the country, something that is required at every single border checkpoint in every country of the world, whither it be air, sea or land?
There's a world of difference between seeking to enter the USA from outside the USA (where the real officers of the CBP demand passports as a condition of passing thru their checkpoint) and boarding an airplane. I can see the argument that flying from Dallas to Houston should be possible without facing a "papers please" demand from a federal employee. Maybe it should even be possible when boarding an airplane in LAX or JFK or BOS when flying to a foreign country.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Who's peace was he disturbing? He can't disturb the TSO's peace and he can't disturb the cop's peace.

If his video shows that he was not acting out of hand then they have nothing.

What concerns me is his partner that by the account I read was not doing ANYTHING, was seized by the police, and removed from public property for knowing Phil.

Sounds to me like a 1st & 4th Amendment violation.
i agree 100% with you. im just saying that the police will absolutely throw that charge out there and, if there is not enough on the video to disprove them, then it is their word against his and we know how that goes...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please Don't Compromise Your Future Legal Actions Here on FT!

Phil -- It's pretty obvious and folks have stated this before, but, in the heat of battle when you're a free citizen again, please don't compromise the integrity of any legal action you plan to take by blabbing about it here on FT or on any other public blog. Heck, don't even talk about the incident on any medium which could be used against you. Lots of us are pulling for you.

As much as we want to know the gory details down to the color of the cop's eyebrows, please resist the temptation. I'm torn about going public with the video your companion was able to take before being detained himself. I would certainly make sure you have a duplicate copy of it. If you decide to post it on Youtube or somewhere else, I would let the record stand and don't include any commentary beyond time, date, place, etc. Chances are good that PV will provide all sorts of opportunity for people to vent on the incident.

If anyone on FT has a closer relationship with Phil, perhaps some reinforcing via PM would be appropriate.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Count me in for a contribution.
Count me in as well.

I'm curious as to what happened.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
Not even needed.

Consider the following scenario.

Bad Guy has Good Buddy purchase ticket with Good Buddy’s legitimate ID.

Bad Guy prints two boarding passes, one with Good Buddy's name, and a forged one with Bad Guy's name (again, done by his 12 year old daughter in PowerPoint.)

Bad Guy walks through TSA security with his own personal ID, and forged Bad Guy Boarding Pass. TSA never checks his name against any security list, stares at his ID, sees it matches his boarding pass, and blesses it as good.

Bad Guy is now in the secure area and is free to board the plane. Repeat at jetway smurf check if needed.

Any other questions?

TSA actually thinks the Bad Guys can't figure this out???
Even easier!

11 states will issue a DL to people in the country without papers.

Have a refundable ticket purchased in the name desired. If the transaction goes through get a refund then go get a DL in that name.

You now have a legal DL and know inSecurePass will not be a roadblock.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:33 pm

This should be interesting. Just like Bierfeldt he's got documentation that is unbiased, in this case video. Which will probably show the TSO's and the police to be causing a scene while he is reasonable at all times. I'm not even sure how the police will be able to justify in court banning the other person from the airport for 24 hours if they were doing nothing.

And Phil, please be careful about posting anything on line. As much as I would love to see all the details I don't want it to affect your court case.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:52 pm

"Disturbing the peace" is a catch-all that officers use when they don't have a legiitmate reason to arrest.

The good news is that it's highly, highly unikely to stick. The bad news is that, given the sweeping immunity from being sued that police and governments have, it's unlikely that he can collect anything from it.

Saw someone say the other day (on a blog I frequent) that when the government decides to screw with you, there are only two possible outcomes for an individual: Defeat, or pyrrhic victory. Sad but true.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
so jesse was "detained" under guilt by association?
Material witness.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Count me in for a contribution.
Me too.

Not only this, TSA seems to be pretty stupid targeting someone who's a known noisemaker. Shouldn't be too hard to spin that TSA knows who he is and targeted him since he's been in the news before and is a well known poster on PV.

Anyone post to PV asking Blogdad Bob what happened?

Last edited by Superguy; Nov 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Update on the site is that Phil's being held for $1000 bail. That said, he hasn't yet appeared on the jail's inmate list as far as I can tell.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by amejr999
Update on the site is that Phil's being held for $1000 bail. That said, he hasn't yet appeared on the jail's inmate list as far as I can tell.
He is being charged with “concealing identity, disorderly conduct, refusing to obey an officer, and criminal trespass.”
30-22-3. Concealing identity.
Concealing identity consists of concealing one's true name or identity, or disguising oneself with intent to obstruct the due execution of the law or with intent to intimidate, hinder or interrupt any public officer or any other person in a legal performance of his duty or the exercise of his rights under the laws of the United States or of this state.

Whoever commits concealing identity is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
Looks like New Mexico is a stop and identify state. So if Phil refused to state his name to the LEO's (which we don't know at this time is true), then the question becomes did the LEO's have “specific, objective facts establishing reasonable suspicion to believe the suspect was involved in criminal activity.”

If what is said on the blog is true, I admire Phil for doing this. They threw everything against him it would appear to see what will stick.

Last edited by ND Sol; Nov 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm Reason: Added New Mexico statute
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
"Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Nov 16th, 2009 by sherri

Today a traveler going through the Albuquerque airport was detained and is reportedly in the process of arrest after politely refusing to show his ID. Phil Mocek, a Seattle area native, was traveling with his friend Jesse Gallagos when he politely declined to show ID to TSA agents."

Full piece here:
http://philosecurity.org/2009/11/16/...ing-to-show-id

From the name and links I'm guessing that this is the same pmocek that posts here on FT in this very forum.

Anyone have any updates?
http://www.bernco.gov/arrest_list/Arrest.asp

It's Mosack according to the website.

Also, look here:

http://www.bernco.gov/upload/images/...0&bo=130573629

Disgraceful. Where do we send our contributions, again?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Quote:
30-22-3. Concealing identity.
Concealing identity consists of concealing one's true name or identity, or disguising oneself with intent to obstruct the due execution of the law or with intent to intimidate, hinder or interrupt any public officer or any other person in a legal performance of his duty or the exercise of his rights under the laws of the United States or of this state.

Whoever commits concealing identity is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
Slightly OT, but based on the quote above, TSOs who cover up their badges to avoid giving passengers their name would appear to be guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.