Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Perhaps you can apologize in advance for slowing the line and wasting the time of the people behind you. Of course, it is the TSA slowing things down, right?
Never.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:24 am
Original Poster

My first experiment with a big bottle of frozen solid shampoo was disappointing. I kept it in my bag, and they did not see it. Perhaps it was because the gentleman in front of my had some cool electronics with him and got them distracted. Perhaps it was simply because they miss most stuff anyway. It certaily cannot be because their X-rays can tell the difference between solid and liquid shampoo.

Last edited by BubbaLoop; Nov 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: NW Plat; DL; UA; CO; AA; AXP Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Silver
Of all the inane and insane policies of the TSA, their policy on frozen matter takes the cake! It makes no sense whatsoever!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

So this morning I went for the second repetition of the frozen shampoo experiment. Given the lack of response in my first experiment, and the fact that I could not differentiate between a lack of detection and actual (although unlikely) knowledge of the frozen rule, I decided to change the experimental conditions. I carried the bottle (400 mL, frozen solid) in the side slip for bottles of by bag, where it was easily visible.

Getting into the line, the ID checker guy told me I had to throw the bottle out (no, he did not say "voluntarily surrender", nor did he offer the other "options"). I showed him it was frozen, and said, "It's frozen, it's a solid". He immediately said I could not do that. I answered that the TSA site said I could. He then said I would have to talk to the other "officer", and pointed down the line, but did not contact any other officer.

I went down the rest of the line, and noted the amused looks of the other passengers around me who had heard the discussion. Put my bag in the bin, fully expecting the next officer to say something, since the bottle was still very visible. She never noticed. The person operating the X-ray also said nothing. There is no way either one of them could have known the bottle was frozen solid. Again, I did not count on the total incompetence of these people.

I guess on the next run I'll carry the bottle out of my bag, for maximal detectability.

On the plus side, in 2 experimental runs, I have successfully transported a full sized bottle of shampoo on board.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
So this morning I went for the second repetition of the frozen shampoo experiment. Given the lack of response in my first experiment, and the fact that I could not differentiate between a lack of detection and actual (although unlikely) knowledge of the frozen rule, I decided to change the experimental conditions. I carried the bottle (400 mL, frozen solid) in the side slip for bottles of by bag, where it was easily visible.

Getting into the line, the ID checker guy told me I had to throw the bottle out (no, he did not say "voluntarily surrender", nor did he offer the other "options"). I showed him it was frozen, and said, "It's frozen, it's a solid". He immediately said I could not do that. I answered that the TSA site said I could. He then said I would have to talk to the other "officer", and pointed down the line, but did not contact any other officer.

I went down the rest of the line, and noted the amused looks of the other passengers around me who had heard the discussion. Put my bag in the bin, fully expecting the next officer to say something, since the bottle was still very visible. She never noticed. The person operating the X-ray also said nothing. There is no way either one of them could have known the bottle was frozen solid. Again, I did not count on the total incompetence of these people.

I guess on the next run I'll carry the bottle out of my bag, for maximal detectability.

On the plus side, in 2 experimental runs, I have successfully transported a full sized bottle of shampoo on board.
Sounds like you may need to get some string and make a frozen shampoo necklace.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The person operating the X-ray also said nothing. There is no way either one of them could have known the bottle was frozen solid. Again, I did not count on the total incompetence of these people.
Maybe frozen shampoo doesn't look like a liquid on the x-ray.

I know the x-ray has repeatedly missed liquid packed in a bunch of ampules. A couple of times I forgot to take it out (medical, it's permitted) and I realized they can't see it, no point in having to rearrange the bag after x-ray, I just leave it in now.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA

OMG!!! Don't you realize the hazard to aviation that causes? Don't you remember 9/11???? Think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Maybe frozen shampoo doesn't look like a liquid on the x-ray.

I know the x-ray has repeatedly missed liquid packed in a bunch of ampules. A couple of times I forgot to take it out (medical, it's permitted) and I realized they can't see it, no point in having to rearrange the bag after x-ray, I just leave it in now.
Sorry, but a bottle of shampoo still looks like a bottle, which normally contains liquids. Also, this time the bottle was on the outside of the bag. The only logical explanation is the obvious one - they missed it, as they do more than half the time when tested independently.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:02 pm

Sorry, but a bottle of shampoo still looks like a bottle, which normally contains liquids. Also, this time the bottle was on the outside of the bag. The only logical explanation is the obvious one - they missed it, as they do more than half the time when tested independently.
There is another explaination: they saw it and let it go. Some TSOs do that, I do it from time to time. I have knowingly let LGAs of larger sizes go without calling for a bag check. Some TSOs, just like in other professions, are by the book, others use their own judgement. I actually end up telling most people to leave their LGAs I their bag when I am on x-ray and they ask what to do.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:44 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by goalie
but this is the tsa we're talkin' 'bout.....dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks. which means that at the screeners discretion , they can make up rules, choose to enforce rules, choose to enforce rules for some and choose not to enforce rules for others (with this being most prevalent if you "are somebody") feel safer?
This is the country where people go ape because judges with years of training use their "discretion" in applying the law, yet we allow people with minimal security-related training to use "discretion" when making up theatrical "security" rules.

I can beat that. I often carry full-sized containers of liquid human waste (half a liter or more) through the checkpoints. I don't even have to go through the trouble of freezing it (OMG: that would be painful).

Somehow the process of drinking a liquid makes it inert. I regularly consume way more than 100mL of liquids while in line for the theater. My GI tract must have the same magical powers as the TSA's garbage bins (sorry, hazmat containment devices). The TSA must think I'm a human blast chamber.

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Perhaps you can apologize in advance for slowing the line and wasting the time of the people behind you. Of course, it is the TSA slowing things down, right?
Yes, it is. They were the ones with the power to not slow down the line because of an obviously harmless substance. They also have the power to ask the person in question to step aside while others pass; every checkpoint that I've been through in the last few weeks has had several TSA employess busy doing their job of standing around doing nothing.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
The TSA web site now says:

Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Ice is permitted as long as there is no melted liquid present.
Is frozen shampoo ice?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:03 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
So when will you be trying the ice chips experiment? Wouldn't that be the real test? What about an entire bottle of frozen water? That would be interesting.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
The TSA web site now says:

Is frozen shampoo ice?
Frozen shampoo is a solid.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Everyone who's posted in this thread: put your hand up if, 4 years ago, you thought you'd ever, ever, ever need to use the phrase "frozen shampoo." Anyone?? Hello?? Hmm, no, I thought not.

I think we've now reached infinite improbability. Please fasten your seatbelts.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
So when will you be trying the ice chips experiment? Wouldn't that be the real test? What about an entire bottle of frozen water? That would be interesting.
OK, on my next trip I will take one bottle of frozen shampoo and one bottle of frozen water, each one in one well visible of the side pockets of my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.