Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

photography causes TSO (BDO ?) to follow me around airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

Had an interesting experience at SNA this morning.

I arrive at SNA and notice there isn't a large queue for security, but I did happen to SPOT two TSO's "observing" passengers and pax as they would enter the queue. They didn't seem to have any other job or serve any other purpose, as such I figured they were BDO's.

As I had time and there was no significant wait for security, I decided I'd have a walk around the airport and take some photos. I first start taking photos of of the "hanging planes" and then decide to go downstairs to shoot from below.

I happened to notice this TSO started watching me as I was taking photos. I then go downstairs to take photos from another angle, TSO follows me downstairs.

At this point it it was obvious he was following me - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the bloody obvious. In light of this, I took my time taking photos.

Instead of staying downstairs and going to the John Wayne statue to get some pics, I go back upstairs to get some photos from above of the statue, US Flag, and trees around the statue. Sure enough, TSO follows me back upstairs, observing me from a distance.

After a few photos upstairs, I decide to go back down and take photos of the statue & US flag as I had planned. Same TSO follows me back downstairs -- as I start taking photos of the statue he then goes outside and starts observing me by looking through the glass back in at me.

I finally decide to go upstairs to clear security, expecting a hassle.

TSO then comes in from outside and follows me upstairs again and continues following me to the security checkpoint. He then walks into the checkpoint and proceeds to observe me as I go through security.

I had a feeling he was going to stop me and pull the BDO "questioning" crap which I've read about, but thankfully that was not the case.

I don't think it was just coincidence that he had to go downstairs/upstairs when I did; it was too obvious I had attracted his attention and was being followed / observed.

Small airport syndrome? (SNA isn't small per se, but it certainly isn't a large airport).

Is taking photographs of artwork in an airport terminal now considered suspicious activity? If anything, the way I was followed around was just creepy
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
This might have been a good time to 'report all suspicious behavior' to the airport police, then sit back and watch the fireworks.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta,United,Continental,US Airways,Southwest,Marriott,all car companies
Waste of time & manpower. All it did was irritate you and took him from more "important" tasks. If you were shooting the keypads on gate doors then I might be suspicious but give it a rest. And that airport has more and more traffic every year. I like to fly in and out of there vs LAX but security can get very slow because they seem to have a small airport mentality. Given all of the commerce in the industrial park across the street, and the state they are located in, one would think they would be used to photographers and film crews.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
This might have been a good time to 'report all suspicious behavior' to the airport police, then sit back and watch the fireworks.
Reporting the creepy stalker would be a good course of action.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE
I hope you took a picture of your stalker.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

It sure took him a long time to "detect" your "behavior."
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should have contacted a uniformed LEO and told them you thought someone was stalking you and you were in fear of your safety.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I arrive at SNA and notice there isn't a large queue for security, but I did happen to SPOT two TSO's "observing" passengers and pax as they would enter the queue. They didn't seem to have any other job or serve any other purpose, as such I figured they were BDO's.
*knowing snicker*

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Is taking photographs of artwork in an airport terminal now considered suspicious activity? If anything, the way I was followed around was just creepy
Photography of artwork in an airport terminal is what I would term "normal tourist activity."

Can't comment on the rest, no matter how much I really, really, really want to. Sorry.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly-yul
I hope you took a picture of your stalker.
+1

I would have followed him around and taken his picture repeatedly, then uploaded each photo to Facebook with the tag "my airport stalker"
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You should have to stay away from TSO/BDO. I do not appreciate it for TSA behaviors at SNA today. You should have to get file complaints against of TSO behaviors who is trying to harassed you during shooting the pictures. This is inappropriate behaviors for TSO/BDO on their job. You should have to talk with TSA supervisor to find out any investigate against BDO is trying to followed you around. Next time you should tell them to stop trying to following you around at airport. Besides, you should stay inside at the gate instead of going to outside at the terminals.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:28 am
Suspended

I would have gone up to him and confronted him about his actions, told him to stop following me or I would call the police - and that if he were a BDO, he was a pretty poor one to be so obvious.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1

I would have followed him around and taken his picture repeatedly, then uploaded each photo to Facebook with the tag "my airport stalker"
The folks over at Fark may have appreciated it even more, especially once the pictures were Photoshopped.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
The folks over at Fark may have appreciated it even more, especially once the pictures were Photoshopped.
Perhaps a new activity for people who travel.

Photograph suspected BDO's and dump the pictures on the internet.

Extra points for funniest photo.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Perhaps a new activity for people who travel.

Photograph suspected BDO's and dump the pictures on the internet.

Extra points for funniest photo.
What a great idea. It is just unreal here how they waste so much of the taxpayers (ours) dollars.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
What a great idea. It is just unreal here how they waste so much of the taxpayers (ours) dollars.

Perhaps TK would be willing to create and host a forum for this. Heck, he has one for screeners to bad mouth travelers.

TK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.