FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Hair Wax or Clay - solid or liquid? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1005297-hair-wax-clay-solid-liquid.html)

tfar Oct 22, 2009 6:35 am

Used the "Fiber" hair wax product. Went through checkpoint in AUS just fine. I also had a very small tube of lip balm and the tiny shaving oil vial in my personal bag; no complaints.

However, as usual, they picked out my Dupont lighter and seemed thoroughly worried. It looked like they had never seen such a lighter. I actually had to tell them it was a lighter. The TSO was unable to make it light up even when I told him to use the roller on the side. Hmmm? I then lit it up and showed him that it was only an ordinary lighter, to what he said:"You're good to go, Sir."

Within the next week lighter and hair wax will go through Mobile, Indianapolis and EWR. Let's see if Austin was just lucky with the wax.

GregL Oct 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I use Fiber as well... had no problem for YEARS until one agent @ DEN who acted as though he had just saved my flight from being blown apart by hair product.

In the heat of the moment, I neglected to realize the product is measured in ounces (as opposed to fluid ounces) when the TSA cares about volume and not weight. I argued on the phone with a TSA person for about a half hour trying to get some sort of regress... at which point I did the only reasonable thing... I tore off the weight label on the container's top and have not had a problem since.

Anything which you can hold upside down indefinitely is NOT a liquid or cream... if any TSA agent tries it again, I will fight it to the point of getting arrested (well, just about) rather than them indiscriminately throwing away $15 worth of my stuff.

Greg

RadioGirl Oct 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 12694298)
In the heat of the moment, I neglected to realize the product is measured in ounces (as opposed to fluid ounces) when the TSA cares about volume and not weight. I argued on the phone with a TSA person for about a half hour trying to get some sort of regress... at which point I did the only reasonable thing... I tore off the weight label on the container's top and have not had a problem since.

For future reference, it's a waste of time arguing, since TSA officially refuses to recognize the difference between ounces and fluid ounces. (And, sometimes, the difference between "3" and "3.4".) Chemistry, physics, math; it's just all too hard when you're saving the world. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Blogdad Bob
Some people have asked why we don’t convert the net weight of the toothpaste to volume since they are different. Good question. The 3.4 container/volume rule was created to make it simple and streamlined for both passengers and our officers. As you could imagine, taking weight into consideration would be a wrench in the spokes. I’m sure the public doesn’t want our officers using scales or conversion charts, etc.

Your approach of removing the label is the sensible course.

tfar Oct 23, 2009 6:24 am

Great feedback! Thanks, Greg. Label will go off immediately! ;)

I actually want to repack it into a smaller screw top container for weight and volume reasons (trying to travel light and slim). I just didn't have any ready at the moment. I need to use so little of the product that taking the big container is overkill. I think they even sell a smaller size but my local supermarket didn't have that and I didn't have the time to check in all the drug stores around.

Radiogirl, reasoning with the TSA is indeed not really possible. How do you want to reason with adults who cannot turn on a classic lighter after you have told them how to do it. I figured all types of lighters out before I was seven. :)

Till

tfar Oct 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Another flight with the Fiber. Undetected. It seems there are different sizes. The slightly too big 3.5oz jar and the 3oz jar. There is also a smaller 1.7oz jar according to the mfr site but I haven't seen that in stores yet.

I just got some contact lens containers and will repack it in there. A little goes a long way. What fits in the contact lens containers will last me at least 10 to 14 days. Just the right amount and minimal tare weight.

Till