Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Source: Armed Agent Slips Past DFW Body Scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold

The source said the undercover agent carried a pistol in her undergarments when she put the body scanners to the test. The officer successfully made it through the airport's body scanners every time she tried, the source said.
The TSA did not deny that the tests took place or the what the results were.
TSA agents who spoke to a reporter agreed that the body-imaging scanners are effective -- but only if the officers monitoring them are paying attention.
DUH!
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...116497568.html
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:14 pm

TSA Fails again

Did the reporters of his incident ask about how well the TSA screens people who work at the airport? Are they sure that the baggage handlers are not putting a bomb on the airplane along with your luggage?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:57 pm

So, we ditched the WTMD to so that People's Commissar Chertoff could get rich, and so now with no WTMD people can pack heat onto the aircraft.

John Pistole, you are not only a tyrant, you are worse, you are a fool.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
So, we ditched the WTMD to so that People's Commissar Chertoff could get rich, and so now with no WTMD people can pack heat onto the aircraft.

John Pistole, you are not only a tyrant, you are worse, you are a fool.
Wow! You really hit the nail on the head Cartoon! I am surprised that this hasn't received more attention in the press or even here. (FLAME FREE ZONE... no need to post every instance where this might have been mentioned here on FT, REALLY)

Interesting that the FBI scanners aren't also metal detectors. How stupid is that?

I eschew them all, WTMD and FBS are not welcome when I travel. I prefer the full body patdown. Nothing to hide and nothing to lose.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
I hope the TSA response to this isn't to more aggressively grope the groin area of all women. This actually scares me.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: SSSSS
The article quotes the TSA, "Our security officers are one of the most heavily tested federal workforces in the nation. We regularly test our officers in a variety of ways to ensure the effectiveness of our technology, security measures and the overall layered system. For security reasons, we do not publicize or comment on the results of covert tests, however advanced imaging technology is an effective tool to detect both metallic and nonmetallic items hidden on passengers."

. . .and watch them fail in a variety of ways, repeatedly without remediation is what was unsaid.

And our favorite TSA posters is fond of saying that inconsistency ("some airports do, some airports don't, each airport is different.") is part of the layers of security.

And yesterday, John Pistole was on NPR and said, concerning the need for a TSA union: When I came to the agency, moral was low, standards were inconsistent, there was no uniform personnel policy. . ."

What is left unsaid it that this agency is an inconsistent, ineffective, incompetent organization which covers up its legion failures, criminal misconduct in a specious, "security through obscurity" philosophy. Let us hope our congress has the stones to reign them in.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DAL4550
I hope the TSA response to this isn't to more aggressively grope the groin area of all women. This actually scares me.
...of course they will. That's the only way they can respond. The Sheeple will love it.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by DAL4550
At this point, seeing the barbarism with which the elderly and the disabled are treated, the worse the better. Let this vast heap of criminality come into the open rather then hide like the cowards they are behind claims of "national security."
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:22 am
Suspended

The way to handle such lapses is to put two or three voyeurs in each booth.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by doober
The way to handle such lapses is to put two or three voyeurs in each booth.
Might as well...the security theatre is just a big circle j**k, anyway!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greentips
What is left unsaid it that this agency is an inconsistent, ineffective, incompetent organization
Hey, now. There's no call for that sort of broad-brushing.

I'd call a 100% failure rate pretty consistent.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Might as well...the security theatre is just a big circle j**k, anyway!
Naw. A circle implies organization. I think the phrase you are looking for is cluster . . .

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Hey, now. There's no call for that sort of broad-brushing.

I'd call a 100% failure rate pretty consistent.
Reprimand accepted. I stand corrected.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:14 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Let me get this straight. The TSA higher-ups deliberately sent a woman undercover agent through the NoS with a bra piece, which went undetected not once, but on multiple occasions. They have now revealed that fact.

So, what kind of an official "enhanced" boob inspection can the rest of us now expect, courtesy of and with this little exercise as an excuse?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PV Post Coming For Sure!

I've got to believe, as we speak, that Blogdad Bob and his boss, Spokesholess-in-Chief Kristin Lee, are working on an "explanation" which will assure the public that this is perfectly OK and that the TSA is protecting us better than ever.

With the Monday holiday, they have an extra day to work on it, so it will be a doozy. They will have a chance to work on all the pro-TSA posts in advance as well. Betcha' it shows up Tuesday morning. If they were really slick, they would sneak it out there this weekend when nobody will notice.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I've got to believe, as we speak, that Blogdad Bob and his boss, Spokesholess-in-Chief Kristin Lee, are working on an "explanation" which will assure the public that this is perfectly OK and that the TSA is protecting us better than ever.

With the Monday holiday, they have an extra day to work on it, so it will be a doozy. They will have a chance to work on all the pro-TSA posts in advance as well. Betcha' it shows up Tuesday morning. If they were really slick, they would sneak it out there this weekend when nobody will notice.
Yes, but this never happened. Ever. Move along, citizens, nothing to see here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.