Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best VoIP service?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:23 am

New wireless service to tie into Skype

Originally Posted by Prytz
Do anyone have experience with various Voice over IP services. Most interested in a US service (that I can use abroad) which allows you to have a physical handset, not just via the computer.
I am currently using Vonage, but their service has declined substantially the last 6 months and they seem to become a bit complacent given their early success. Would like to test out an alternative for my second line.
Does anyone have good or bad experiences?
The Boston Globe reported on August 1, 2005 that a Cambridge, MA startup business, iSkoot, "promises to let people make international calls to other Skype users for nothing more than the price of local air time for the link from their cellphones to their broadband-connected home computers."

"To receive a call on a cellphone through Skype, all that an iSkoot user has to do after downloading the iSkoot program is set up forwarding, to redirect incoming Skype calls to the cellphone number."

"Making outbound calls is a little more complicated. After registering the cellphone number with iSkoot, the user creates and sends a text message to the e-mail address [email protected]. The text message can contain either a phone number, a Skype speed-dial number, or a screen name for someone in the user's Skype "buddy list."

The same article also reports that "(t)he website Echostore.com offers a device that can enable cellphone calls through Skype, but it requires buying a $99 box instead of paying $10 a year for just software."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.