What is the best VoIP service?

Old Mar 24, 05, 6:05 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
lotus notes

do anyone know a voiceover ip provider, who is linking directly to lotus notes?

i want to use my lotus adress book to call out from my pc

dp
Old Mar 25, 05, 3:51 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Not sure about the aspects of traveling and using the phone from an international locale, but I have been pleased with Sunrocket.

sunrocket.com

It's a VoIP started by to ex-MCI execs. In January I got the (pre-paid) $199 yearly plan. This included two phone numbers, unlimited local and long distance, and two 2.4 Uniden cordless phones. (About a $70 value) A nice set on online features and a few minutes of free international long distance.

Maps
Old Apr 3, 05, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I listened to Clark Howard and decide to give VOIP a try. I was moving to Hawaii and decided upon Packet8.Net at $19 a month. They add tax and your final monthly price is about $20.50.

I chose a Daytona Florida number so my Mom could call me as a local number.

The system came with voicemail and the ability to ring another number if I don't answer the phone. That other number is programmed as my cell phone. So when an inbound call comes in, both my VOIP phone rings and my cell rings. Whichever I pick up first gets the call.

I am on a cable modem here and the system works well, except when I am downloading heavily on the computer port of the router. Most people will never have this problem, only those of us who saturate our bandwidths

If you decide to try the service, be sure to do a web search for "packet8 discount code". The code gives you a discount on installation and the code provider gets a finders fee.
Old Apr 5, 05, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I have been using and rather like Lingo - www.lingo.com. It allows you to have up to 3 phone numbers in different parts of the world.
Old Apr 5, 05, 8:40 pm

Vonage vs others

I have used Vonage for about 4 months. Initially the voice quality was excellant but gradually it started detiorating. My main interest was international calls to Pakistan. After repeated complaints to the Customer service nothing happened. Eventually I gave up. Also when you return the equipment, you are hit with a termination fee ($40).

Now I am so confused after reading so many different reviews about other compnaies. I want some serious input about Sun Rocket. They are also throwing in Uniden 2.5 Ghz cordless phone with a promotion code PWW3R33 till 4/30/05.
Old Apr 10, 05, 1:18 am

Lightbulb VOIP Phone for Pakistan, HK, Canada, USA, UK - Can you help

Can you help me further if you found a good solution to call Pakistan using VOIP? Would sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Originally Posted by maulah
I have used Vonage for about 4 months. Initially the voice quality was excellant but gradually it started detiorating. My main interest was international calls to Pakistan. After repeated complaints to the Customer service nothing happened. Eventually I gave up. Also when you return the equipment, you are hit with a termination fee ($40).

Now I am so confused after reading so many different reviews about other compnaies. I want some serious input about Sun Rocket. They are also throwing in Uniden 2.5 Ghz cordless phone with a promotion code PWW3R33 till 4/30/05.
Old Apr 21, 05, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I have used both Packet 8 and Vonage and my main problem has always been international call quality that most of the time is really bad.

It seems that they route the calls using the cheapest possible way and you can hear it. Actually most likely you cannot hear anything at all.

I end up using AT&T/IDT calling cards because most of the cheap caling cards also offer call quality that is simply not acceptable.
Old Apr 21, 05, 5:09 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I have been using Broadvoice for 8 months now. They are still suffering growing pains and their customer service is atrocious. Still, as another poster said, the $19.95 multi country unlimited calling is a good selling point. Voice quality varies. I have had usually excellent quality but occasionally really awful quality. Rebooting everything from the modem through the router and my adapter helped, but I never had to do that with my old landline phone...
Old Apr 21, 05, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I am also on Packet8 since our local phone company charges almost $1.50 per minute to call Canada/US.

Works great, no complaints here at $20.50 a month, it pays itself back in 15 minutes for me
Old May 24, 05, 2:09 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Another vote for Skype. Especially now that SkypeIn is becoming more widely available.

Skype at 35,000 feet.

http://forum.skype.com/viewtopic.php?t=15388

Last edited by PropWasher; May 24, 05 at 2:41 pm
Old May 28, 05, 9:37 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
I use talkparade. It is cheap, $10 per month for 300 mintes om my laptop, It has all the rights services. You can even use the software with a pda. I have used the service in Peru, Poland, Amsterdam, and Italy with out problems. It is a small company so if you need hand holding go else where.
Old Jun 2, 05, 8:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life
I hade Alphaphone but I was unhappy and I cancelled the line.

Actually, I am using the Lingo Unlimited plan for $19.95/mo from www.Lingo.com and I am happy.

If you are smart; you cud have the voip line for free:

-by buying the D-Link Broadband Phone Service VoIP Router DVG-1402S/L witch is free after rebate by Ecost http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~DPNo~647612.asp, and than you donít pay for activation and shipping.

-You get the first month for free.

-And than if you refer friends, you get a credit of 25$ each. So the upcoming months are also for free.

(If you donít have who shod refers you, you cud use my email [email protected], thank you).
Old Jun 6, 05, 12:48 pm

www.go2call.com offers VOIP and apparently has a strong technical foundation. My sister works for them and she raves about it.
Old Jul 21, 05, 10:30 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Lavarock7, you might want to look at 808netfone.com. it's a new service from pacific lightnet that offers voip in hawaii. they're the only voip with area code 808 numbers
Old Aug 13, 05, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I am also on Packet8 since our local phone company charges almost $1.50 per minute to call Canada/US.

Works great, no complaints here at $20.50 a month, it pays itself back in 15 minutes for me
I think I'm going to sign up for packet8 because someone gave me one of their adapters several months ago. Do they offer any promotions that aren't obvious on the website? Can I port over my Sprint PCS number?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: