FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Phones Programs/Partners (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/phones-programs-partners-475/)
-   -   More Miles for the same bill (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/phones-programs-partners/197032-more-miles-same-bill.html)

wanderlust May 19, 1999 7:05 pm

More Miles for the same bill

If you use your Delta SkyMiles AMEX to auto pay your MCI bill, they'll credit your Delta account with 7 miles instead of the usual 5. Obviously, a $100 phone bill would be worth 700 miles instead of 500.

------------------
g'day
wl

Hasoose1 May 19, 1999 7:49 pm

Thanks for the tip. The more miles, the better!!

Hasoose

pgupta011 May 20, 1999 1:17 pm

Amex was not an option when I signed up with MCI over the phone.

wanderlust May 20, 1999 2:06 pm

I double checked today to confirm that MCI gives 7 miles instead of the usual 5 miles to your SkyMiles account for every dollar spent if choose to automatically bill your American Express Optima card. It does not have to be The Delta SkyMiles Optima. (You might get different answers if the CSR you speak to doesn't "research" the issue).

With the Gold Delta Sky Miles Optima, you can receive double miles with all purchases until the end of June.
So essentially, on a $100 MCI phone bill, you could walk away with 900 Skymiles! ((100 x 7) + (100 x 2))

Also, once you choose this option, you get a "special" customer service number. Apparently, only certain csr's have access to the credit card information. The new customer service number is 800-444-1004. They also send out new cards bearing the AMEX logo on it, though your enrollment in the FF partner is unaffected.
Hope you can use this.

To set up the billing method, call MCI Premiere Financial Services at 800-756-9713.

MCI Delta Partnership questions 800-754-7076.

------------------
g'day
wl

[This message has been edited by wanderlust (edited 05-20-99).]

Beckles May 20, 1999 3:05 pm

Except that the AMEX DL's "double miles promotion" is not really double miles, only 1 extra mile per dollar spent. You only get "double miles" on purchases that don't already get bonus miles, on purchases that typically get 1.5 times or 2 times the milage, you only get 1 extra mile per dollar.

wanderlust May 20, 1999 3:27 pm

Sorry, Beckles, I'm having a hard time understanding your post.

As far as I know, any charge made will get two miles per dollar spent until the end of June. Those miles are taken care of by AMEX before they post to your Delta account.

The 7 miles from MCI are taken care of be MCI before they post to your Delta account.

The result is, the bonus never see each other until they are turned into miles in your Delta account, so there is no "double bonus" conflict here.

------------------
g'day
wl

Beckles May 20, 1999 3:32 pm

For one dollar charge from MCI you'd receive:

From MCI: 5 miles
From DL AMEX for charging your bill to a DL AMEX: 2 miles
From DL AMEX during "Double Miles" promotion: 1 mile

I don't believe you are correct about receiving 7 miles from MCI, you only receive 5 miles from MCI and then 2 miles from DL AMEX for a charge from MCI, then 1 mile for the "Double Miles" promotion, which if you read my post under AMEX ( www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum69/HTML/000070.html ) I explain that their "Double Miles" promotion is really "1 Bonus Mile per Dollar".

[This message has been edited by Beckles (edited 05-20-99).]

Beckles May 20, 1999 3:35 pm

Note that it doesn't work out to an even number anyway because you do not receive miles on taxes from MCI, but you should receive miles on the entire bill from MCI (including taxes) from AMEX, so overall your earnings will be a little less than that.

For example, say your bill is $100 + $10 in taxes.

From MCI: $100 x 5 = 500 miles
From AMEX DL: $110 x 2 = 220 miles
From AMEX DL (for "double miles"): $110 x 1 = 110 miles

Total earnings on a $110 MCI bill ($100 in MCI charges + $10 in tax) = 830 miles, or 7.545455 miles/dollar spent.

[This message has been edited by Beckles (edited 05-20-99).]

wanderlust May 20, 1999 4:34 pm

Oh, I see, what a rotten deal. Never mind. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
g'day
wl

[This message has been edited by wanderlust (edited 05-20-99).]

doc Jul 6, 1999 1:32 pm

I had my account set up to be charged to the Platinum card for membership miles- similar type of deal! Thanks!

wanderlust Jul 7, 1999 10:43 am

Hey, I just realized...as an added bonus, you're saving $3.96 in stamps every year. So that's worth about 70 miles. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!

http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
mahalo!
www.hotshirts.com

henwood Jul 7, 1999 1:50 pm

You can enroll your MCI bill to be paid by any credit card by signing up for the "Online Account Manager" at this site.
https://www.mci.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/oam.woa
I was told by them that you get 7 miles per dollar spent,if paid by credit card, but the site only mentions 5 miles per. We will see.
But you WILL get Double Miles per dollar spent thru all of 1999, if you use the Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, because MCI is a Delta partner (same with Red Lobster,Olive Garden, Hertz, and 1-800-FLOWERS).
Also, while at MCI's site there is a calling plan that is offered only on the Internet. It is called MCI ONE NET SAVINGS.
You can switch to it with the click of a mouse. It requires credit card billing. All your statements are online. They notify by e-mail when your invoice is available to view online and no paper statement will be mailed to you.
Best of all, the rates are better than anything offered to me over the phone when I signed up for the 25,000 mile offer. I was assured that it will not impact any mileage plan I am currently in by switching. I hope not cause, I like those 15,000 mile deposits every month to my SkyMiles account. (I have three lines signed up.)

wanderlust Jul 8, 1999 11:37 am

henwood:

How were you able to sign up more than one account for Delta? MCI said I could only have one name/line connected to one account, so when I added a data line, I had to send the miles to mile Continental account.

------------------
mahalo!
www.hotshirts.com

henwood Jul 8, 1999 3:07 pm

I made three calls to MCI and enrolled a different line each time.
Results: Three accounts = 75,000 miles plus miles for dollars spent with the SkyMiles card.
They are at different addresses, and in my name, and I pay the bills.

wanderlust Jul 8, 1999 4:09 pm

I just called and gave them my new phone # and asked them to change miles posting from Continental to Delta account. She said no problem. We'll see.

Since phone # is your account #, apparently unless they pull up your accounts by name, they don't know you're already receiving the miles.

There you go. http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
Mahalo brudda!
www.hotshirts.com