Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dumped AT&T, rights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2002, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
dumped AT&T, rights?

I just dumped AT&T wireless. They cancelled the account, but did not offer to put on a new number message, and I (idiot me) forgot to ask them to do so. Do I have any rights related to this issue? Doesnt the phone company have to post a message on my old number for x number of weeks after service is cancelled or something similar...? Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I have no idea what they *have* to do, but I suspect it's nothing.

I've never heard such a redirect announcement on a wireless phone number. You're basically renting an extension off of a PBX, not a regular telephone line from your local telephone company.

If you'd have asked them to do this for a month I suspect they would have told you to continue to pay for that month, to not use the phone, and to change your voicemail message.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hmmm, I thought the consumer groups in the USA were more vigilant with our rights...
Old Nov 4, 2002, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This has nothing to do with "rights". If you want callers to know your number has changed, open another account, get the same number and pay for the service.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 7:32 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by scotty00:
This has nothing to do with "rights". If you want callers to know your number has changed, open another account, get the same number and pay for the service. </font>
....? I beg to differ.

Wireless phone service is pretty much a basic need these days. If a consumer receives crappy service and needs to change carriers, I dont see why its unreasonable for legislation to cover the consumer during a reasonable period by mandating the phone companies to provide a basic message with the new number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.