Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Any Day Tours From Lima Airport??

Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Gold

I am making a stop in Lima as part of a RTW journey. I arrive at 6;25am on LAN and leave at 9:20pm on Iberia. Are there any tours from the airport or can I book one at the airport? I have heard about quite a lot of crime in Lima and just would feel safer in a guided tour.

Also, if you had the option, would it be better to see Lima or pay the $100 fee in Chile and go to Santiago instead?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Would Santiago be a similar-length stopover? If so, maybe not worth the extra flying time unless you need/want the miles. If you could make a decent stop @ SCL, you need to CHANGE YOUR RESERVATION, WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING . If safety is a big concern to you, Santiago is about as safe as you get ANYWHERE in Latin America. There is a recent post somewhere on 8 hours in Santiago suggestions.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum
As far as I know there are no guided tours that can be arranaged at the airport in Lima. However, you may be able to arrange something through a travel agent or the like, but I am not familar with any.

However, you could still explore Lima on your own if so inclinded. Without a doubt there are parts of town you do not want to venture into, but you could tour/shop the Miraflores and/or San Isidro districts by yourself. Both areas are quite safe, especially in the daytime. I would arrange a good hotel in either district as your base of operations and to clean up after arrivial (there are many; I could give suggestions if you want) and then arrange for a car for the day to take you from place to place. Conversely, you could walk and shop the Miraflores area on your own with little problem especially if you get a hotel near Larco Mar (an upscale shopping area on the beach) which has more than enough to occupy you for several hours before heading back to the airport.

Don't let the threat of crime keep you from Lima. It does have a crime problem like any other large city, but the really "dangerous" parts of town you won't be in anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rockdoc
As far as I know there are no guided tours that can be arranaged at the airport in Lima. However, you may be able to arrange something through a travel agent or the like, but I am not familar with any.

However, you could still explore Lima on your own if so inclinded. Without a doubt there are parts of town you do not want to venture into, but you could tour/shop the Miraflores and/or San Isidro districts by yourself. Both areas are quite safe, especially in the daytime. I would arrange a good hotel in either district as your base of operations and to clean up after arrivial (there are many; I could give suggestions if you want) and then arrange for a car for the day to take you from place to place. Conversely, you could walk and shop the Miraflores area on your own with little problem especially if you get a hotel near Larco Mar (an upscale shopping area on the beach) which has more than enough to occupy you for several hours before heading back to the airport.
Getting a hotel to "set up shop" sounds like a great idea and I have found a couple of inexpensive ones that might work--- The Manhattan Airport Inn and The Hotel Melodia. Both about $33-37 for the day and they will set up tours from the hotel. Are these hotels worth it?

The Manhattan even has a one-way transfer free of charge to the hotel and will call a cab for you to go back to the hotel.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:28 am

Both the Manhattan and Melodia are within 15 minutes to the airport but in not very nice areas (but are probably okay during the day time).

When I was in Lima I stayed in San Isidro and took a day tour from my hotel (Novotel). It was a museum tour and I felt it was good, particularly the Larco Museum which has many Moche statues.

For shopping, I highly recommend the Larcomar shopping center. It is set on a cliff above the Pacific and has outstanding views, good shopping and decent restaurants. It is in Miraflores which is an hour from the airport.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1K
Just got back a couple of months ago from an afternoon in Miraflores and spent a couple hours drinking champagne in an outdoor restaurant overlooking the cliffs and hang gliders at the Larcomar shopping center.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I am not familiar with either of those hotels. However, anything within 15 minutes of the Lima airport is still in a rather rough part of town. I would definately give that area miss. I would still opt for getting a place in Miraflores or San Isidro. Two nice places are Hotel Las Palmeras or Hotel El Condado both will run you $80-$100 but well worth the price. I have stayed at both numerous times - very nice rooms, good restaurants/bars. If you really wanted to stay at top end places there are places like Swiss Hotel and the Marriott which is across the street from Larco Mar. I have also gotten rates for <$100/day at the Lima Country Club hotel (a very nice place). There are also lots of more mid-range hotels ($50/day) in the Miraflores and San Isidro area. One that I have stayed at several years ago is Hotel Jardin which is just down the street from the Camuso silver showroom - a fun place to visit. Any good guide book will have some of the mid-range places listed.

Depending on traffic, Miraflores is 30 to 50 minutes from the airport. San Isidro is a bit less. Regarding cabs - make sure that either you or the hotel call the cab - all good hotels will call a cab for you from a reputable company and drivers are more than willing to stay with you all day long for a very reasonable price. Just arrange the price in advance. Do not pick up a cab from off the street unless really needed. Although not as prevalent as several years ago, this was a good way to get into trouble if traveling alone.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MCI777
Getting a hotel to "set up shop" sounds like a great idea and I have found a couple of inexpensive ones that might work--- The Manhattan Airport Inn and The Hotel Melodia. Both about $33-37 for the day and they will set up tours from the hotel. Are these hotels worth it?

The Manhattan even has a one-way transfer free of charge to the hotel and will call a cab for you to go back to the hotel.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
My wife and I are doing this in November. This is the Hotel that we booked in Miraflores. The price included picking us up at the Airport. Hope this helps

Hotel San Antonio Abad
Ramon Ribeyro 301 San Antonio - Miraflores
Lima Peru L-18
Phone Number: 5114476766
Fax: 5114464208
E-mail: [email protected]
Total Room Cost Charged to Credit Card: 55.00 (US Dollar)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.