Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

PERU - IAH-LIM-CUZ and BACK

Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold

I have a few questions about my upcoming trip to see Machu Picchu.

1. I keep reading about the Peruvian departure taxes. I visited Brazil, held on to some Reals for that tax and then found it was in the fare. I had even called CO to ask and they could not confirm they were in the ticket price, but they were. Will this be the case in Peru?

2. What will be the process on the day I fly LIM-CUZ? It sounds like the DOMESTIC departure tax is paid somewhere other than the ticket counter. I'll fly LanPeru (subsidiary of LanChile). So, should I locate this tax shelter (LOL), or go to the counter to retrieve my ticket first? Or, will I just find it is actually in the ticket price anyway?

3. Finally, LanChile cancelled my original reservation, refunded the money, placed me right back on the same flights, and recharged. Has anyone had this happen before? The record locator did change.
I just hope I have a ticket when I get to the LIM airport. They won't send me an email confirmation (though the original ticket did have a confirmation email).

Thanks all.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 9:00 pm

1.- Airport use fees are never included in the air tickets in Peru.

2.-You must pay the day of flight. You first get check in and then go to a booth were you pay the fee. The counter person will direct you to the booth. When you pay, you get a stamp that gets checked by somebody prior to passing security.

For international flights the fee is $28 and change. For domestic flights, the fee is about $3.00
So you will pay when going to Cusco, then when going to Lima and finally departing from Lima. (Doing a short line on the domestic flights and one that could be large in the international flight). Also, Peru is the only country I have been to that makes you go through an immigration control when leaving the country so be prepared for another line there.

3.- I can comment on the TKT from Lan Chile but I can say that their customer service is better than the one offered by airliners in the States. I would think that they would be able to find you TKT.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Thanks to URU for your very informative reply!

Gracias!
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:29 am

Just one tip if you didn't see it in the guidebooks. The switchback train is very nice. Doesn't take very long and it's interesting to see the back areas. You CANNOT purchase a ticket on a walk up basis. You MUST have a reservation at least a day ahead of time. So plan accordingly if youre taking the train.

Enjoy the trip. I thought Cuzco was very pretty and I thought MP was amazing. I find it striking that explorers are *still* finding hidden Incan civilizations in the Peruvian Andes. I am tempted to say that as recently as last year someone found a very large complex. With the advent of new technologies, it would seem to me that they would be able to sniff them out pretty easily but I would be wrong.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:10 am

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the departure fees in Lima are paid in USD, not soles. In CUZ, they're definitely in USD.

The "taxation hut" is right behind the domestic Lan Peru counter in LIM, and to the left of the counter, around the corner in CUZ.

I only have flown Lan LIM-CUZ-LIM once, but can tell you that they cancelled our outbound flight and merged it with a later one. Information wasn't real good, and I got the impression that the cancellation wasn't too unusual. That said, Lan is clearly the most professional domestic airline in Peru.

The domestic terminal in Lima is *very* third world. Be prepared.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:57 pm

Thanks.

Stanley.

Last edited by vgastan; Aug 26, 2004 at 8:03 pm
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
All of the above regarding taxes are correct. You can pay in either dollars or soles. On your return LIM-IAH be prepared for long lines at CO check in if not an Elite. If Elite you can quickly get through BF/Elite line, but if not be there early as both flights (to IAH and EWR) leave quite close to one another and the wait could be substantial. Fortunately, I have never had to wait in the regular check in lines, but at times they have had upwards of 150 people waiting. Quite the zoo.

If Elite, be sure to get a pass to the First Class lounge that CO uses in Lima. Fairly nice place.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Just passing through....

All of the tax info is pretty accurate.

One note about the LIM-CUZ ticket: prices are usually better if purchased within Peru vs. purchased abroad. When looking into an AeroContinente promotion for LIM-->CUZ, I was directed to a small travel agency with a door/window immediately outsude the terminal but still the same building- imagine the curb between the terminal and the cab stand. Ask there adn you may save a few bucks. For the return ticket, we had no trouble securing a discounted rate at one of a number of CUZ travel agencies. Discounts are allocated based on availability- but just buying 1-2 days before your return will guarantee a lowered rate.

When we were there, we found the 2 trains (F and Backpacker- and the Backpacker was just fine) were sold out for the very next day-- so allow a day or two before you leave to make it to MP. MP as a 1 day trip out of CUZ was enough time to be impressed, enjoy it for a while, and head back.

Have a great trip. IMHO, after going through the steps, it's a pretty easy trip.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:04 pm
dlC

I was just in Peru and Cuzco in July and the tax for domestic flights is now $5USD. As for Aerocontinente or Nuevo Continente as it is now called, US citizens are prohibited from flying on this airline due to the owner of the airline being an accused drug trafficker. Also, their airplanes are pretty old. Fly Lan Peru or Taca Peru instead.

The domestic terminal at LIM didn't look too bad. It was very simple in my opinion. There is also a lot of construction going on throughout the whole airport so you will see that.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Some more thoughts on CUZ, LIM and MP

The train journey from Cuzco is in daylight and a feast for the eyes. Take the warnings about booking in advance very seriously: the seats sometimes sell out well in advance. If you'd also be wise to collect your ticket the day before you travel - I saw people miss the train on the day because of the long queues.

The return train leaves in the afternoon and the view disappears as daylight does later on.

By the time the train reaches the last stop before Cuzco, you may want to consider changing on to a bus (which will cost you a few $) - this will mean the difference between 20 minutes back to the city centre and another 1.5 hours on the train.

Go and have a look around the Hotel Monasterio in CUZ, even if your budget won't stretch to a stay there. If you ask politely, they'll take you on a tour of the place, including its interesting collection of Mestiso paintings.

If you're able to book yourself on a flight arriving in LIM in the morning and departing in the evening, then treat yourself to a day in Lima. There's a fantastic restaurant in Miraflores called La Rosa Nautica - looks like the original Brighton pier and has a ceviche to die for (not to mention one of the most alcoholic pisco sours I've ever had).
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:32 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Another tax question

My wife and I are flying CUZ-LIM-UIO and UIO-LIM-DFW in January, we will have nearly a 7 hr layover in LIM on the return. Are taxes paid by segment or by routing? (eg. are the taxes on CUZ-LIM-UIO $5+$28 or just $28 as it's connecting to international?) How about on the return from Quito, will we have to pay departure taxes in LIM again if only in transit? I was hoping to get a hotel for a few hours which would mean we'd have to go through immigration.
Are there any airport hotels at LIM? Came across an article that they wanted to build one, and was to be completed in Dec 2003.

Last edited by hauteboy; Nov 2, 2004 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Taxes are paid on the basis of a flat rate for either a domestic or international departure. If it's the latter, you should be able to pay with a credit card at the check-in desk, if the former, it's a queue and local curry or US Dollars. You'll be stung for the taxes at every opportunity, check your tickets carefully to see if these are included or not (if you bought directly from LA, they should be).

You'll have to clear immigration at LIM in any event - the domestic and international terminals don't have any airside connection point.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
virtualtroy is correct for the outbound: you have to pay a domestic tax in cash in CUZ cor CUZ-LIM, then leave the LIM domestic terminal, check in and pay the LIM international tax, then go to the LIM-UIO flight. On the return, you can stay in sterile transit--- as you enter the terminal, bear left and go through the security checkpoint on the left, before immigration. If you stay in sterile transit, you pay no tax--- as soon as you enter the terminal, you do. It is remotely possible to enter the terminal while in transit and avoid the tax---- but fluent Spanish and good explaining is key. Once I was able to enter the terminal to buy a LIM-CUZ ticket for a later date while in international transit. As I recall, one of the agents held my passport and my friend waited within security as I left for maybe 20 min. IMHO< it won't be worth the effort. Taxes are like $25ish per person for an int'l departure, and the $50 you save can be used in transit doing something else.

The international transit area has much nicer shops and more variety of things to see than the main terminal anyways. There's a lounge on the 2nd floor (not sure of the name)-- it's a lounge used by multiple airlines, and I entered with no problem with my WorldClub access. Or, there's some computer with internet in the transit area..... but I didn't use it, so I don't have personal experience.

Look through some old threads in the LatinPass/GlobalPass forum--- many Flyertalkers did int'l transit through 4 years ago LIM and recounted their experiences.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I am not aware of an airport hotel in Lima. I was last there about 8-9 months ago and saw no construction that would equate to a new hotel. My work in Peru has slowed in the past couple of year, but I have been in and out of Peru almost 40 times in the past few years. Having said this, I would skip the airport hotel (if open) and head for the Miraflores or San Isidro districts. The area around the airport is not the best part of town by any means and there are many good (and reasonably priced) hotels in the upscale Miraflores/San Isidro area which is about 20-30 minutes by taxi. Check out the Lima Club Hotel or Hotel Las Palmeras which can both be gotten for about $99 (US) per night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.