FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   Lima to Machu Picchu (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/2112274-lima-machu-picchu.html)

Dark Blue Feb 19, 2023 5:00 am

Lima to Machu Picchu

I just booked a holiday to Lima.

I have 4 full days (5-night stay, but late arrival and early departure), is there any way to go to Machu Picchu?

I have got a hotel in Lima, but can spend 1-2 nights in Cuzco unless any tour to Machu Picchu from Lima. I want to spend one day for Nazca lines.

Can anyone advise?

TWA884 Mar 7, 2023 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 35022976)
I have 4 full days (5-night stay, but late arrival and early departure), is there any way to go to Machu Picchu?

It takes a minimum of 3 1/2 hours to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco; an hour and a half by car, van or bus to Ollantaytambo and an hour and a half by train from there to Aguas Calientes. Then there there is a half hour bus ride to the citadel. You should probably allow a minimum of another 15 to 20 minutes for each connection.

The train from the outskirts of Cusco to Aquas Calientes takes over four hours.

If you get to Cusco the night before and get started very early, in time to catch the 6:00 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, you should be able to spend a few hours at the citadel and return to Cusco in time to catch a late flight to Lima. It's going to be a very long day.

Section 107 Mar 7, 2023 8:40 am

when is your holiday? are the trains to AC back up and running? Is MP open again?

TWA884 Mar 7, 2023 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 35068276)
are the trains to AC back up and running? Is MP open again?

Yes and yes.

SJOGuy Mar 7, 2023 10:55 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35068265)
... and return to Cusco in time to catch a late flight to Lima. It's going to be a very long day.

The problem with CUZ airport is that winds pick up later in the afternoon, making cancellations common. If I absolutely had to be somewhere, I'd want to fly out as early in the day as possible.

Dark Blue Mar 13, 2023 4:15 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35068265)
It takes a minimum of 3 1/2 hours to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco; an hour and a half by car, van or bus to Ollantaytambo and an hour and a half by train from there to Aguas Calientes. Then there there is a half hour bus ride to the citadel. You should probably allow a minimum of another 15 to 20 minutes for each connection.

The train from the outskirts of Cusco to Aquas Calientes takes over four hours.

If you get to Cusco the night before and get started very early, in time to catch the 6:00 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, you should be able to spend a few hours at the citadel and return to Cusco in time to catch a late flight to Lima. It's going to be a very long day.

Thank you! It seems difficult for me to go there on this occasion, probably the next time. Since I booked a package holiday with BA, my hotel is in central Lima. Will stay in Cusco in the next visit. (I also searched for a guided tour, but everything takes one week or so, I did not know it's not that far!)

Dark Blue Mar 13, 2023 4:16 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 35068636)
The problem with CUZ airport is that winds pick up later in the afternoon, making cancellations common. If I absolutely had to be somewhere, I'd want to fly out as early in the day as possible.

Thank you for the tip, I will keep this in mind!

TWA884 Mar 13, 2023 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 35083245)
Will stay in Cusco in the next visit. (I also searched for a guided tour, but everything takes one week or so, I did not know it's not that far!)

Cusco is located at a very high elevation (3,400 meters / 11,000+ feet). Make sure to factor in the time to acclimate.

We booked a tour of Cusco, the Sacred Valley, the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu with Alpaca Expeditions and could have not been more pleased with our local indigenous guides and the itinerary.

Dark Blue Mar 13, 2023 10:13 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35083913)
Cusco is located at a very high elevation (3,400 meters / 11,000+ feet). Make sure to factor in the time to acclimate.

We booked a tour of Cusco, the Sacred Valley, the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu with Alpaca Expeditions and could have not been more pleased with our local indigenous guides and the itinerary.

That sounds nice, I defo do a local tour for the next time. I just booked this trip due to the current BA promotion, then I realised it would be too tight for a trip to Machu Picchu. In any case, this is my very first time in Peru, I will do easy things on this occasion.

TWA884 Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 35084008)
In any case, this is my very first time in Peru, I will do easy things on this occasion.

If you are a foodie, Lima is a great restaurant city, including three on the San Pellegrino 2022 list of The World's 50 Best Restaurants. We dined at Mayta, Maido and Central.

Dark Blue Mar 13, 2023 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35084024)
If you are a foodie, Lima is a great restaurant city, including three on the San Pellegrino 2022 list of The World's 50 Best Restaurants. We dined at Mayta, Maido and Central.

Wow, Maid looks very nice, I must try! Will book a table, looks like already fully booked for some days during my stay.

TWA884 Mar 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 35084917)
Wow, Maid looks very nice, I must try! Will book a table, looks like already fully booked for some days during my stay.

We booked our tables as soon as they opened the reservations for when we were going to be in Lima, approximately two months out at Mayta and Maido, and three months out at Central. Maido is phenomenal.

Dark Blue Apr 6, 2023 8:07 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 35085129)
We booked our tables as soon as they opened the reservations for when we were going to be in Lima, approximately two months out at Mayta and Maido, and three months out at Central. Maido is phenomenal.

Had Nikkei Experience yesterday. Each course one mouthful, but pretty stuffed after the 11 courses. Also had a few drinks, the bill was phenomenal too:D I have to come back to explore the two other ones, but food is pretty good in general here.

txdave Jul 2, 2023 12:14 pm

I wouldn't rush a trip to Machu Pichu especially if not at the elevation for a couple of days. I would skip the nazca lines and concentrate in the rest

txdave Jul 2, 2023 12:15 pm

I agree with this recommendation, definitely quality over quantity