Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Is "rapid" PCR acceptable for UAL USA--Peru?

Old Jul 20, 21, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Flying from USA--Cusco in 2 weeks on United Airlines.

An Urgent Care system near me offers 15 minute "rapid" PCR COVID tests.

I was always under the impression that PCR tests take 2 days to get results.

Using this rapid form of a PCR test would be very helpful to my wife and I in the couple of days before we leave.

Peru says they require a negative COVID RT-PCR test. United's travel ready center says a negative "RT-PCR or PCR" test is required.

Has anyone had any experience with using a "rapid" PCR test while traveling internationally on United?

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 5, 21, 7:16 am

The only thing that matters is for your results to say "RT-PCR" on them. PCR testing has gotten faster and more flexible over the past several months. Now I haven't seen a 15-minute turn around for PCR - they must have a lab onsite or something, but if your results say PCR on them then you are good to go. Sometimes it's hidden in the wording on the test, so have the clinic highlight it if you don't see it right away.
Old Aug 10, 21, 11:37 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
here is the CDC description of acceptable test:

"Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order."

The test I recently had took only 15 minutes total from filling out paperwork to receiving results. The swab is tested and the results show as a line or no line using what looks to be essentially a home pregnancy kit (one line good, two lines not good).
Old Aug 22, 21, 1:14 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by purdue1015 View Post
Hi Guys,

Flying from USA--Cusco in 2 weeks on United Airlines.

An Urgent Care system near me offers 15 minute "rapid" PCR COVID tests.

I was always under the impression that PCR tests take 2 days to get results.

Using this rapid form of a PCR test would be very helpful to my wife and I in the couple of days before we leave.

Peru says they require a negative COVID RT-PCR test. United's travel ready center says a negative "RT-PCR or PCR" test is required.

Has anyone had any experience with using a "rapid" PCR test while traveling internationally on United?
I took a rapid ANTIGEN test at a CVS pharmacy when I went to Peru in May. It took me all of 15 minutes, I didn't even have to get out of my car and it was paid by my insurance.

Search this Thread