Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Summer travel [to Peru]

Summer travel [to Peru]

Old Mar 15, 20, 9:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,510
Summer travel [to Peru]

Now that the FCO advises against travel to Peru and other destinations I am going this summer, I could cancel and get my money back.

BUT. We are doing the Inca trail and other AMAZING things we have always wanted to do all over South America (when it is winter there).

Part of me wants to cancel asap because I am worried about travel insurance companies, in light of how many countries landed on the FCO banned list over the weekend, either going bust or using force majeure rules to stop taking new claims altogether. So having the money in my pocket NOW feels safer than waiting a few weeks for things to get proper horrendous, and then struggle to get my money back and claim.

All the experts seem to think the worst is to come in May-July, so one would think that borders will still be shut at that point and these trips can't go ahead anyway. Unless people realise there's little we can do and just stop all closures of everything and just let life go on as normal?

The other part of me would feel like an idiot for cancelling everything if it all somehow gets better, given we have some proper cracking deals for hotels and other things.

I KNOW THINGS ARE CHANGING DAILY AND NOBODY HAS A CRYSTAL BALL. I am just asking: if it were you, what would you do? Cancel it all, get money in pocket, book other things (even if they are not our amazing adventures) last minute if things get better, and save the amazing stuff for next year, or wait until May-June to decide, on the assumption that our travel insurance company will still be accepting claims and still exist at that time?

I am just looking for opinions on what you would do if you were in my shoes, not predictions of what things might be like.

(My insurance is staysure, which until 2 days ago was advertising 'hey we are still open for new policies with travel disruption!' and then abruptly shut it as all the countries started getting on the FCO list over the weekend.)

Thanks!
Dan1113 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 20, 8:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAD
Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 454
I would wait until June to make a decision and try to travel this year. Everything is going to be empty and you will enjoy it more.

My sister works in tourism in Peru and she tells me that a lot of people are re-scheduling for next year in the same months they are cancelling now. So, on one hand, there are a lot of bookings for next year, and a lot of space this year. And in the other, I am sure that next year when a Chinese person sneezes, most countries will re-impose security measures because of the social fear brought by what is happening now, and that might disrupt your plans next year.
MfromL is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 1,749
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
All the experts seem to think the worst is to come in May-July, so one would think that borders will still be shut at that point and these trips can't go ahead anyway.
Peru closed its ports of entry the night before last.
SJOGuy is offline  
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:01 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Posts: 2,621
I would cancel and get the refund based upon the chance of bankruptcy and not wanting to be stuck in Peru which I currently am for an undetermined time.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:44 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,510
Didn't manage to cancel in time to get it within the window for my travel insurance. So, the whole trip is still a "go" - and I anxiously await news of whether Peru will let tourists in in July...

I really hope so, but I am not feeling optimistic about it.
Dan1113 is offline  
Old May 9, 20, 8:28 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Posts: 34,299
Some of the travel deals out there are really enticing, including really cheap LIM flights that pop up occasionally. But travel restrictions can be a real wild card, especially with the U.S. having the worst outbreak in the world and the possibility of other countries singling Americans out. That's another layer of uncertainty on top of all the ones you'd get with domestic travel.
RustyC is offline  
Old May 10, 20, 6:56 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAD
Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 454
The latest information shows that nothing will happen until mid August. In the re-opening schedule offered by the government last week that is when international flights will be allowed to operate. Just wait until July and you will be able to cancel your flights, and possibly get some of the money back.
MfromL is offline  
Old May 10, 20, 7:03 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,510
Originally Posted by MfromL View Post
The latest information shows that nothing will happen until mid August. In the re-opening schedule offered by the government last week that is when international flights will be allowed to operate. Just wait until July and you will be able to cancel your flights, and possibly get some of the money back.
Sadly my flights leave to go to Brazil three weeks before my return flight from Peru, and BA thinks it'll already be resuming the Brazil flight I'm on next month on 01 June.
Dan1113 is offline  
Old May 10, 20, 12:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAD
Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 454
So, after a quick check in BA's website, if found that they offer you the possibility to cancel the flight if it starts before July and get a 2 year voucher.

If the trip to Peru is with a different airline, probably the other airline has a similar policy (most do at this point), so you can always try to cancel the different segments and get vouchers to fly later.

Honestly, if you are saying that you will go to Brazil before, I would be much more cautious about that than Peru. Right now Brazil is the #1 Covid country in South America and they are not handling the epidemic well because they have a Trump-like idiot at the helm (Bolsonaro).

BA's policy:
If you are due to travel between now and 31 July 2020 you can claim a voucher to the value of your booking, valid for travel until 30 April 2022.

Vouchers can be used as payment, or part payment, for a future booking. Your new trip booked with your voucher must be fully completed by 30 April 2022 (departure and return). You will receive your voucher by email within seven days of your application.
MfromL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread