Peru trip - need some recommendations planning what to see/do

Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Peru trip - need some recommendations planning what to see/do

Hi all,

I arrive into LIM at 5:15AM on Nov 4th from the USA and leave Nov 10th at 11:15PM from LIM back to the USA

On the 4th I could fly to CUZ/Cusco, and take a taxi to Ollantaytambo station and overnight there.
Nov 5th train to MP. Afternoon tour there and then overnight up there.
Nov 6th morning MP then afternoon train back to CUZ. Overnight in CUZ
Nov 7,8,9,and 10th are wide open.

Some possible options:

Option A:
Nov 7th train Cusco-Puno. Overnight in Puno.
Nov 8th site-see Puno and the lake Titicaca and overnight.
Nov 9th flight back to LIM. Overnight LIM
Nov 10th site-see LIM and flight out at night.

Option B
Nov 7th site-see Cusco and overnight
Nov 8th flight to Paracas (CUZ-Pisco). Site-see and overnight
Nov 9th Paracas site-see and overnight.
Nov 10th bus (as there doesn't seem to be flights non-stop but rather via Cusco) back to Lima.

Any recommendations? I will be either traveling with my brother or by myself. so a long day of site-seeing does not bother me at all.
And in regards to Bolivia and seeing that side of lake Titicaca isn't an issue as both of us also have PL passports (no visa required for Peru or Bolivia).

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I went for very similar dates as you did and in my opinion Cuzco is probably the place I would spend more time dedicated to sight seeing (and MP). MP town has literally nothing to see, so just spend the night if needed.

As far as Peru, I was tempted with Lake Titicaca but put it off because it was a bit of a hassle to get there when I went with the local airlines. Instead, I flew to Arequipa and climbed Misty (kinda, not all the way) and visited Pucallpa for a day cause I wanted to see the Amazon rain forest, did a day tour there. I think the main thing is that I found really cheap fares to get around on Peruvian, so i took advantage.

You could always head down to Santiago with SKY if you want to add another country to the list. Whatever you do, don't take a bus or drive.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Cuzco and especially Puno are very high up...I'll barely notice a difference in Denver but Cuzco took some getting used to. I could manage OK but had the mild headaches and quicker shortness of breath from walking than usual.

I liked Iquitos a lot as a 3-day air hop on Star Peru. It's possible to stay in town and go on daytrips through the market and water village or to go see the dolphins. Also visited one of the lodges about 10 miles away to get an idea of what a trip there could be like.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:14 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Peru forum.

l’etoile
sr moderator
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
Hi all,
I arrive into LIM at 5:15AM on Nov 4th from the USA and leave Nov 10th at 11:15PM from LIM back to the USA

On the 4th I could fly to CUZ/Cusco, and take a taxi to Ollantaytambo station and overnight there.
Nov 5th train to MP. Afternoon tour there and then overnight up there.
Nov 6th morning MP then afternoon train back to CUZ. Overnight in CUZ
Nov 7,8,9,and 10th are wide open.
"Overnight up there" so you'd do a night in Ollantaytambo and then AC? If it were me, I would just stay in Cusco the whole time. Depending on the schedule see if there are trains out of Poroy as it is a 20-30 min drive from Cusco. IMO the best time to go to MP is the 1pm session. If you make Cusco your base it will be a lot less stressful hauling your stuff around. There are also nicer and cheaper accommodations in Cusco.

I would highly recommend setting aside one day for a Sacred Valley tour, one day for a Cusco city tour (includes sites just outside the city as well), and one fully day in Cusco to see sites in Cusco on your own. With each of those full days you'd have evenings to explore the amazing restaurants within Cusco. I've done Cusco three times and I think five days allows a good feel for the city, Sacred Valley, and MP.

If you arrive in Lima that early you could stay there a night in Miraflores or maybe a boutique hotel in Barranco. Do a food tour or check out the sites. Personally I'm not sure Paracas is worth the time and money on the short of a trip.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:45 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
"Overnight up there" so you'd do a night in Ollantaytambo and then AC? If it were me, I would just stay in Cusco the whole time. Depending on the schedule see if there are trains out of Poroy as it is a 20-30 min drive from Cusco. IMO the best time to go to MP is the 1pm session. If you make Cusco your base it will be a lot less stressful hauling your stuff around. There are also nicer and cheaper accommodations in Cusco.

I would highly recommend setting aside one day for a Sacred Valley tour, one day for a Cusco city tour (includes sites just outside the city as well), and one fully day in Cusco to see sites in Cusco on your own. With each of those full days you'd have evenings to explore the amazing restaurants within Cusco. I've done Cusco three times and I think five days allows a good feel for the city, Sacred Valley, and MP.

If you arrive in Lima that early you could stay there a night in Miraflores or maybe a boutique hotel in Barranco. Do a food tour or check out the sites. Personally I'm not sure Paracas is worth the time and money on the short of a trip.
Thanks!
That might be an option too. Just stay in Cusco and if anything 1 night in MP to be able to do a afternoon and a morning session. Then rest of the time in Cusco and surrounding areas.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Certainly, staying in and around Cuzco would be a good alternative as there is a lot to see in the area. To avoid too much travel you might also consider Arequipa or Puerto Maldonado, both of which are relatively close to Cuzco. Arequipa is a fascinating city, and unique in Peru. Puerto Maldonado would be of interest only if you want to see the rain forest---there are good options from there to explore the upper Amazon basin. There are easy air connections between Cuzco and Pto. Maldonado, and I would imagine there are between Cuzco and Arequipa as well.

If you're up for the adventure, another possibility would be to travel by bus north from Cuzco following the spine of the Andes, through Ayacucho and Huancayo, then connecting to the main highway called the Carretera Central to return to Lima. Although I have lived and traveled extensively in Peru I still haven't done that route; but it remains on my to-do list. That would be a really interesting trip and a great way to get to know the Peruvian highlands.

Being an experienced traveler and having a decent grasp of Spanish would be, if not a necessity, then at least highly desirable if you were going to consider that option.

Enjoy Peru, it is a wonderful country.
catcher1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.