LIM for 24 hours

Old Mar 25, 18, 1:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 121
LIM for 24 hours

My wife and I fly into LIM at 9pm on a Wednesday and have a 6 am flight to Iquitos on Friday. Amazon jungle lodge for 4 days then the Inca Trail.

A few questions.

Is uber still operational at airport and safe.

Where should we stay (top tier hilton and Marriott) and what should we in Lima on Thursday.
dts9 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 18, 3:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by dts9 View Post
My wife and I fly into LIM at 9pm on a Wednesday and have a 6 am flight to Iquitos on Friday. Amazon jungle lodge for 4 days then the Inca Trail.

A few questions.

Is uber still operational at airport and safe.

Where should we stay (top tier hilton and Marriott) and what should we in Lima on Thursday.
On the "what to do": Larco Herrera museum, Huaca Pucllana, catacombs (downtown), Inca Market in Miraflores area (near Ovalo Gutierrez and Kennedy Park), street life in Miraflores (Parque Kennedy area) are all worthwhile. For a different experience, a Peruvian food cooking class at Skykitchen (see their website) is a great experience. It's 11am-2pm or you can start at 9 and visit the mercado to see all the produce/fruits etc. and do a fruit tasting.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 18, 7:16 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Posts: 1,117
Forget Uber, I highly recommend taxidatum.com. We have used them - very reasonable & reliable & you can set up the pickup at LIM & the pickup to go back to LIM ahead of time.
rubesl is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:48 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Posts: 26,857
Hotel-wise I'm sure that JW Marriott next to Larcomar is hard to beat on location, though I don't have points for that and it's always beyond budget so I can't say first-hand. Good degree of confidence, though.

I've taken a number of bus tours with Mirabus (leaving from a stop next to Parque Kennedy) and they have always been good. The open-air top deck is a good vantage on a nice day, even on a longer excursions such as through Chorillos to the ruins. IIRC they also have a 2-hour Miraflores tour and 4-hour ones that go to sites downtown. It's an easier alternative to a DIY approach in some cases.

Food-wise I usually go for either Punto Azul or La Mar in Miraflores for the ceviche, and even a spot like Pardo's at Larcomar with the views can be memorable. Lots of other places as well. Seems like there's a unique or superlative offering at every price level.
RustyC is offline  
Old Mar 27, 18, 7:44 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Hotel-wise I'm sure that JW Marriott next to Larcomar is hard to beat on location, though I don't have points for that and it's always beyond budget so I can't say first-hand. Good degree of confidence, though.

I've taken a number of bus tours with Mirabus (leaving from a stop next to Parque Kennedy) and they have always been good. The open-air top deck is a good vantage on a nice day, even on a longer excursions such as through Chorillos to the ruins. IIRC they also have a 2-hour Miraflores tour and 4-hour ones that go to sites downtown. It's an easier alternative to a DIY approach in some cases.

Food-wise I usually go for either Punto Azul or La Mar in Miraflores for the ceviche, and even a spot like Pardo's at Larcomar with the views can be memorable. Lots of other places as well. Seems like there's a unique or superlative offering at every price level.
One problem with Mirabus downtown route: Weekday afternoon return is a bear due to the traffic.

Restaurant suggestions: In Miraflores, you can't beat the ceviche at Alfresco. And Pescados Capitales is much fun, very good food (not cheap), and great place to see the ritzy Peruanos. In Chorrillos (almost at border with Barranco), Sonia is a wonderful, authentic place. No name outside, but if you see the fishing boat on the sidewalk, you have arrived.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 18, 5:49 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 712
Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
, Inca Market in Miraflores area (near Ovalo Gutierrez and Kennedy Park), street life in Miraflores (Parque Kennedy area) are all worthwhile. .
just in case óvalo Gutiérrez is not near Kennedy Park nor the market área. There is an óvalo near the Park and inca market but it is not Gutiérrez. don't get confused in case you take a taxi. Ovalo Gutierrez is in Miraflores bit a different zone
Villavic is offline  
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
just in case óvalo Gutiérrez is not near Kennedy Park nor the market área. There is an óvalo near the Park and inca market but it is not Gutiérrez. don't get confused in case you take a taxi. Ovalo Gutierrez is in Miraflores bit a different zone
Sorry, my bad. It's the ovalo at Pardo/Petit Thouars, right?
catcher1 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 18, 9:37 pm
  #8  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 712
Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
Sorry, my bad. It's the ovalo at Pardo/Petit Thouars, right?
Right. I just remember its name is just "Ovalo de Miraflores"
Villavic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread