Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Current State of SUMAQ Lounge with VIP Closed?

Old Mar 12, 18, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

I'm wondering how bad it is right now, and if PP cardholders are frequently denied access. I'm hoping to take a shower on an upcoming connection and will not be pleased if this doesn't happen. (I assume LATAM is still passing out the Wifi codes and a voucher sufficient for one airport drink due to their lack of lounge.)
Old Mar 16, 18, 8:16 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Not denied but have to wait a while, that was in january. Finally I got a seat at the bar. It was a saturday morning, overcrowded. They told me the VIP lounge would open on late march or april.
Old Mar 19, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I just traveled to / from LIM with both international and domestic departures and arrivals. Never mind the lounge situation, I was astonished at how overcrowded the entire airport has become in the last couple of years, especially for domestic flights. It appears to be operating well beyond its capacity, yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL. What gives? Is there more going on than meets the eye, or should Peruvians and international tourists and business travelers resign themselves to ever-increasing chaos and delays in the years to come?
Old Mar 19, 18, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
I just traveled to / from LIM with both international and domestic departures and arrivals. Never mind the lounge situation, I was astonished at how overcrowded the entire airport has become in the last couple of years, especially for domestic flights. It appears to be operating well beyond its capacity, yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL. What gives? Is there more going on than meets the eye, or should Peruvians and international tourists and business travelers resign themselves to ever-increasing chaos and delays in the years to come?
We call it "viajando a la criolla," Siempre Viajando. But hey, I have had much worse in China.
Old Mar 20, 18, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL.
Actually, there is an expansión plan, and the project is very ambitious, but that's it, a plan. They say it will start this year, and the second landing strip will be finish by 2021 (the second terminal, who knows). However I've been reading similar announcements for years. So far it it's just a blueprint, or a dream.
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:34 pm

I have not been at int'l terminal lately, has anybody been at the lounges recently? The LIM webpage mentions:

International VIP Lounge HANAQ - Exclusive Vip Lounge for international passengers. (watching the pic, I guess this is the former VIP Lounge).

National VIP Lounge "El Salón by Newrest" in November 2018 - Exclusive Vip Lounge for national passengers. Was this the Sumaq?
Old Oct 9, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Actually, there is an expansión plan, and the project is very ambitious, but that's it, a plan. They say it will start this year, and the second landing strip will be finish by 2021 (the second terminal, who knows). However I've been reading similar announcements for years. So far it it's just a blueprint, or a dream.
Apparently there is a problem with the land to be used for the expasnion program.

The land was sold by a wealthy Peruvian family to the government for a road project - apparently there is a clause in the sale contract prohibiting a change of use without more cash changing hands..

Watch this space!
Old Oct 25, 18, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Apparently there is a problem with the land to be used for the expasnion program.

The land was sold by a wealthy Peruvian family to the government for a road project - apparently there is a clause in the sale contract prohibiting a change of use without more cash changing hands..

Watch this space!
Lima's Jorge Chávez international airport concessionaire ended a 17-year wait after the government finally awarded land needed for a US$1.2bn expansion, one of Peru's biggest transport infrastructure projects. "So much time has passed, almost 18 years, to meet a commitment that the state should have done in a year", President said at a ceremony held at the airport. (Oct. 24)

I think they will start with the second landing track, but as long as there is not a new terminal, the airport will remain very congested.
Old Oct 29, 18, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I have not been at int'l terminal lately, has anybody been at the lounges recently? The LIM webpage mentions:

International VIP Lounge HANAQ - Exclusive Vip Lounge for international passengers. (watching the pic, I guess this is the former VIP Lounge).

National VIP Lounge "El Salón by Newrest" in November 2018 - Exclusive Vip Lounge for national passengers. Was this the Sumaq?
It could not be the SUMAQ, because that's on the secured int'l departures side. Meanwhile, the HANAQ has this loveliness for Priority Pass members:

The Hanaq VIP Lounge has revised its access conditions and service provisions:-

Access is permitted 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure.

Complimentary alcoholic drinks are limited to one per adult.
Old Nov 7, 18, 12:54 pm

SUMAQ had a 20-25 minute queue to enter at 22:30 on a Saturday (Int'l airside). Once inside, there were a few seats available throughout. They allow for 2 drinks per BP. Unfortunately, AM did not even open check-in until about 2.5 hours before departure, so I only had time for one drink and a light snack (which I do not remember, so it was clearly nothing special). Definitely expect long slow lines here, at the entrance and the bar. But still not nearly as bad as the daytime security line, which stretches all the way around the shopping mall on the landside. Overall, Peru never fails surprise me with horrid lines and bad management at every turn, in every place that caters to tourists and travelers. The food and the sights are great, but everything else is a bit of a nightmare.
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Is SUMAQ even open? I only found HANAQ. Decent food spread, nice shower and 2 drinks at the bar. It was pretty good
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by daKav View Post
Is SUMAQ even open? I only found HANAQ. Decent food spread, nice shower and 2 drinks at the bar. It was pretty good
SUMAQ is still closed - the sign says its being remodeled. I'm happy using the HANAQ lounge since it is much more spacious, has much better food selection, and good drinks. I liked the "Papa a la Huancaina" they had earlier this week at breakfast time.
Old May 4, 19, 8:17 am

I just traveled on easter holiday, and passed near the vip lounges entrance. The line was so long that I did not even bother to see which lounge was open. Since I was planning to use the priority pass, I chose to go to La Bonbonniere, restaurant included in the priority pass benefits, with more than enough consumption. Though It doesn't offer a wifi, or it was not working. It was crowded but didn't wait that long.

Even if I managed to enter a lounge, probably I wouldn't find a confort place to sit down and stay, and the wifi would be interrupted continuously like the last time I was in Sumaq.
Old Jul 9, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: United Gold
Anybody know if SUMAQ is open again? Wonder if having both SUMAQ and HANAQ open at once would limit the horrid lines to get into the lounges . . .
Old Jul 20, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: United Gold
I will answer my own question: both the SUMAQ and the HANAQ are now renovated and open! As a UA Gold traveling on UA, I was invited to the SUMAQ lounge. The line for SUMAQ was short--about five parties deep and it took only about 5 min to get into the lounge which was crowded but plenty of seating available (nothing compared to the old SUMAQ, in which the workers had to assign people seating because it was always packed to the brim before the late night US departures!). The food options are improved from the older version. The HANAQ lounge had a line about 40 parties deep. It seems that HANAQ is for priority pass and other credit card holders, while SUMAQ is for airline elites. Several PP folks tried to get into SUMAQ and were turned away and sent to HANAQ. Overall in my opinion as an airline elite, having both these lounges open at once is a great improvement for the lounge situation in LIM!
Namaste1 likes this.

Search this Thread