Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Current State of SUMAQ Lounge with VIP Closed?

Current State of SUMAQ Lounge with VIP Closed?

Reply

Old Mar 12, 18, 6:45 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 29,682
Current State of SUMAQ Lounge with VIP Closed?

I'm wondering how bad it is right now, and if PP cardholders are frequently denied access. I'm hoping to take a shower on an upcoming connection and will not be pleased if this doesn't happen. (I assume LATAM is still passing out the Wifi codes and a voucher sufficient for one airport drink due to their lack of lounge.)
Eastbay1K is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 18, 9:16 am
  #2  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 704
Not denied but have to wait a while, that was in january. Finally I got a seat at the bar. It was a saturday morning, overcrowded. They told me the VIP lounge would open on late march or april.
Villavic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:48 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Posts: 572
I just traveled to / from LIM with both international and domestic departures and arrivals. Never mind the lounge situation, I was astonished at how overcrowded the entire airport has become in the last couple of years, especially for domestic flights. It appears to be operating well beyond its capacity, yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL. What gives? Is there more going on than meets the eye, or should Peruvians and international tourists and business travelers resign themselves to ever-increasing chaos and delays in the years to come?
Siempre Viajando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 18, 8:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
I just traveled to / from LIM with both international and domestic departures and arrivals. Never mind the lounge situation, I was astonished at how overcrowded the entire airport has become in the last couple of years, especially for domestic flights. It appears to be operating well beyond its capacity, yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL. What gives? Is there more going on than meets the eye, or should Peruvians and international tourists and business travelers resign themselves to ever-increasing chaos and delays in the years to come?
We call it "viajando a la criolla," Siempre Viajando. But hey, I have had much worse in China.
catcher1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 8:11 am
  #5  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando View Post
yet there is no evidence of an expansion project as there is at MEX & SCL.
Actually, there is an expansión plan, and the project is very ambitious, but that's it, a plan. They say it will start this year, and the second landing strip will be finish by 2021 (the second terminal, who knows). However I've been reading similar announcements for years. So far it it's just a blueprint, or a dream.
Villavic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:34 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 704
I have not been at int'l terminal lately, has anybody been at the lounges recently? The LIM webpage mentions:

International VIP Lounge HANAQ - Exclusive Vip Lounge for international passengers. (watching the pic, I guess this is the former VIP Lounge).

National VIP Lounge "El Salón by Newrest" in November 2018 - Exclusive Vip Lounge for national passengers. Was this the Sumaq?
Villavic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Actually, there is an expansión plan, and the project is very ambitious, but that's it, a plan. They say it will start this year, and the second landing strip will be finish by 2021 (the second terminal, who knows). However I've been reading similar announcements for years. So far it it's just a blueprint, or a dream.
Apparently there is a problem with the land to be used for the expasnion program.

The land was sold by a wealthy Peruvian family to the government for a road project - apparently there is a clause in the sale contract prohibiting a change of use without more cash changing hands..

Watch this space!
malagajohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 11:11 am
  #8  
Ambassador: Peru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LIM Peru
Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Posts: 704
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Apparently there is a problem with the land to be used for the expasnion program.

The land was sold by a wealthy Peruvian family to the government for a road project - apparently there is a clause in the sale contract prohibiting a change of use without more cash changing hands..

Watch this space!
Lima's Jorge Chávez international airport concessionaire ended a 17-year wait after the government finally awarded land needed for a US$1.2bn expansion, one of Peru's biggest transport infrastructure projects. "So much time has passed, almost 18 years, to meet a commitment that the state should have done in a year", President said at a ceremony held at the airport. (Oct. 24)

I think they will start with the second landing track, but as long as there is not a new terminal, the airport will remain very congested.
Villavic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 4:24 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 29,682
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I have not been at int'l terminal lately, has anybody been at the lounges recently? The LIM webpage mentions:

International VIP Lounge HANAQ - Exclusive Vip Lounge for international passengers. (watching the pic, I guess this is the former VIP Lounge).

National VIP Lounge "El Salón by Newrest" in November 2018 - Exclusive Vip Lounge for national passengers. Was this the Sumaq?
It could not be the SUMAQ, because that's on the secured int'l departures side. Meanwhile, the HANAQ has this loveliness for Priority Pass members:

The Hanaq VIP Lounge has revised its access conditions and service provisions:-

Access is permitted 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure.

Complimentary alcoholic drinks are limited to one per adult.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 18, 1:54 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 236
SUMAQ had a 20-25 minute queue to enter at 22:30 on a Saturday (Int'l airside). Once inside, there were a few seats available throughout. They allow for 2 drinks per BP. Unfortunately, AM did not even open check-in until about 2.5 hours before departure, so I only had time for one drink and a light snack (which I do not remember, so it was clearly nothing special). Definitely expect long slow lines here, at the entrance and the bar. But still not nearly as bad as the daytime security line, which stretches all the way around the shopping mall on the landside. Overall, Peru never fails surprise me with horrid lines and bad management at every turn, in every place that caters to tourists and travelers. The food and the sights are great, but everything else is a bit of a nightmare.
downinit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:00 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SBA and LAX
Programs: AA, UA
Posts: 279
Is SUMAQ even open? I only found HANAQ. Decent food spread, nice shower and 2 drinks at the bar. It was pretty good
daKav is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:15 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 430
Originally Posted by daKav View Post
Is SUMAQ even open? I only found HANAQ. Decent food spread, nice shower and 2 drinks at the bar. It was pretty good
SUMAQ is still closed - the sign says its being remodeled. I'm happy using the HANAQ lounge since it is much more spacious, has much better food selection, and good drinks. I liked the "Papa a la Huancaina" they had earlier this week at breakfast time.
Pedro M is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: