Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Christmas Eve in Cusco

Christmas Eve in Cusco

Old Aug 28, 17, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Christmas Eve in Cusco

Hi,

We are a family of 12 traveling to Peru for my mom's 75th birthday. We will be in Cusco on her birthday Dec. 24th... I hear that Christmas Eve is a big deal in Cusco, lots to see and do, fireworks, etc. Do we need to worry about dinner reservations for that evening? Any suggested super cool restaurants?

thx!
Old Aug 30, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
I was in Cucso last year in May. Restaurant reservations were generally recommended by our hotel so I would imagine on Dec 24 they would be a must; doubly so if you're a group of 12.

I've typically found that in countries where Christmas is a big deal (religious), reservations on Dec 24 are a good idea. Many restaurants I've been to will have a prix fixe on the 24th and will only have one sitting so as to enable the staff to head home are a reasonable hour. I've never found this to be an unreasonable constraint on my Xmas travels.

Enjoy Cusco! It's a nice place.
Old Aug 30, 17, 3:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The Plaza de Armas (main square) becomes a vast outdoor Christmas market in the days leading up to Christmas, including the day of the 24th. Christmas Eve mas at the cathedral begins at 10 p.m. and is quite a spectacle. A big fireworks display starts at midnight. By contrast, the 25th itself is a quiet day. I'd expect little to be open.

Don't forget that you'll be 10,500 feet above sea level. Do be careful about the altitude.
Old Sep 7, 17, 8:51 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Midnight fireworks are a tradition in Christmas eve and New Year's eve. Reservations should be a must.

Search this Thread