Reload this Page >

My Machu Picchu report. August 12, the new restrictions

My Machu Picchu report. August 12, the new restrictions

Old Jul 10, 18, 9:32 pm
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
We just visited MP today.
Just wanted to mention that this visit was during this year's Easter week (national holidays on thursday-friday, long weekend), so this experience was for very high season.
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:48 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Hi,

After reading through this I am still not very clear on if you can stay even after 12pm? I have a ticket for the 1st session, 6am-12pm. Will I be able to stay even after 12 pm (if I need to re-enter to go up the hill for photos in case I miss it the 1st round?)?

How will the situation of the crowd be? I will be there early Sept, taking the 6.50 am train from Poroy arriving AC at 9.50 am. Still need to get the bus tickets (is it still outside the station? Should I already ask my other group members to line up for the bus while I go get the tickets?

My train back is the one at 4.30 pm - I was thinking if I can get up there in time, around 2 hours in MP would be sufficient and after returning back to AC, I can walk around a bit before catching the train.

On a side note: Any good recommendation for a day tour to the Scared Valley?

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi,

After reading through this I am still not very clear on if you can stay even after 12pm? I have a ticket for the 1st session, 6am-12pm. Will I be able to stay even after 12 pm (if I need to re-enter to go up the hill for photos in case I miss it the 1st round?)?

How will the situation of the crowd be? I will be there early Sept, taking the 6.50 am train from Poroy arriving AC at 9.50 am. Still need to get the bus tickets (is it still outside the station? Should I already ask my other group members to line up for the bus while I go get the tickets?

My train back is the one at 4.30 pm - I was thinking if I can get up there in time, around 2 hours in MP would be sufficient and after returning back to AC, I can walk around a bit before catching the train.

On a side note: Any good recommendation for a day tour to the Scared Valley?

Cheers!
I don't believe they do anything to prevent you from staying past 1pm. What they try to do is keep you going one way when you are on the trail. Many areas that are off the trail where you can sit and hang out. To be honest the most limiting factor is that the bathroom is outside of the entrance and no place to buy food or drink once you are in. So plan accordingly and dress in layers.

When you arrive you will walk through a tourist market and walk over the bridge and you'll follow everyone else to the line for the bus. If you don't have your ticket you go and purchase one. I can't remember if each person needs to be present to purchase a bus ticket, that's a good question.

In my opinion there is nothing really in the town worth seeing. Spend as much time as you can in MP.

There are a lot of different day tours for the Sacred Valley, but a private tour is the best if you want to see certain things. Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, and the salt mine (Salineras de Maras) are in my opinion the top things to see in descending order. Tunupa is a restaurant that should be on the drive where you can have a buffet lunch and it has a beautiful garden. I think it's where they filmed the Bachelor when it was in the Sacred Valley. I'd avoid seeing a weaving demonstration in Chinchero or any tours that have time in markets or shopping. Not really worth it if you are short on time.
Old Sep 7, 18, 6:59 pm
Hilton 5+ BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Hi,

Just to add my experience here.
- For those starting from Poroy station, even from the Plaza Armas, i think it will take about 20-30 mins max to arrive at the station. From the HGI, it took me about 15 mins. There is really no need to arrive max 30 mins before as there is not much to do and when the doors open to the train, you have to go to your own carriage for check in.
- After arriving at Aqua Calientes station, it was not too bad from people crowd point of view. The only main complain is the direction to the location to get the bus tickets, After the direction sign at the station, there was none again, after going in some rounds, saw the buses, BUT that is NOT the place to get your tickets, you have to walk in the opposite direction (~ 5 mins) to a small (hidden) office to get your tickets (which cost ~USD 24 pp return).
- Luckily the line was short and wait was less than 5 mins before boarding the bus. Ride up to the entrance was about 15 mins.
- At the entrance, guide service is offered and there is NO need to employ them if not needed. You can enter without any guide.
- After entering, just follow Route 1 (Circuit 1) and it should be ok. There is a 2nd route option which leads you directly into the village. I would suggest just follow Circuit 1 and it should be ok.
- I spend in total about 3 hours around the whole site, but if you are with a guide, this will be more than that. You can stay in the area even after your time is over (as mentioned by Astrophsx).
- For the return journey, the line was quite long, but they started more buses up so wait was only about 15 mins before I could get on the bus.
- For those ending at Ollantaytambo station and you need to get back to Cusco (cheaply), after leaving the station just walk about 100m further and around the arch, you can get Collectivos back to Cusco for ~10 PEN, which for those staying at HGI, it will drop you off close to the cathedral (Santa Ana area) and you just walk back to the hotel - very convenient.

Hope the above helps those travelling soon and staying at the HGI. I was lucky as the weather was sunny and (hot!) during my time up there.

Cheers!
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:45 am

anyone know what the crowds are typically like end of November?
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:04 pm

Made my second trip to MP on 10/31/18. No problem carrying hiking poles in without any medical letters (not elderly or visibly disabled). They did not perform any search at all, and the people at the entrance seemed completely disinterested in anything other than just scanning the ticket and checking the passport. The guide requirement is still not enforced. We bought tickets to hike Montana, but the thick fog made that a complete waste of time. We turned around after about 5 minutes after confirming with people on their way back that there was no benefit in going any further. There was also no pressure at all for the AM people to ever leave (just bear in mind that the restrooms are outside the entrance, so you may want to stop by there a bit before noon if you plan on staying much longer). There was no one inside checking tickets or enforcing any restrictions (aside from a few disinterested security guards wandering around).

Since we did not arrive from Olly until around 9:30, I bought AM and PM tickets; planning to spend the AM on Montana, leave for lunch (buffet?), and return in the afternoon for the rest of the site. Since we skipped the hike, we got an early start on the main area, staying inside until around 2:30 and not returning (wasting more money on the PM tickets). Oh well, it was my last trip there and my husband's only trip there, so better safe than sorry. The biggest problem is that my return tickets to Olly were not until around 7 pm, and IncaRail did not have any earlier trains when we inquired around 4:30 PM. This forced an unpleasantly long stay in one of the most horrid tourist trap hellish towns on earth, AC. Even seeing a couple kids running around in halloween costumes did little to make this town more tolerable. To make things worse, our train was delayed 30+ minutes, with very little communication from IncaRail. PeruRail had plenty of afternoon trains, and they are generally a much more reliable company to deal with. I would definitely advise giving IncaRail a hard pass if possible.

Last edited by downinit; Nov 29, 18 at 2:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 18, 2:20 am

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Several have mentioned how awful Aguas Caliete is. I didn't find it an especially wonderful place, but there were a number of reasonable places to eat and it felt safe to walk around at night. My daughter and I spent the night there, arriving MP early in the morning. Before our train we ate at the French Boulangerie and walked around some more.

I'd recommend hitting up Trip Advisor for ideas in AC and places to eat. Map things out, and tick off the boxes if you need to. But if even that doesn't work, there's always people-watching and tourist traps offer a lot of people to watch. :-)