Reload this Page >

Machu Picchu bus tickets (Consettur)

Old Jun 19, 17, 10:06 am
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver

Has anybody ever bought online the bus tickets (from Machu Pichu town to the ruins) and bought for children? It says the children rate (5-11 yo) is $8 ($12 foreign child), however the online reservation sections just show adult options, no children combo box to include quantity of child passengers. I've contacted them thru the webpage last week, but no answer yet.

And, is it worth it to previously reserve online? I mean, in terms of time and lines issues. Is the line for the bus ticket, at the town, too long? Considering the train arrives at 9:40am (august 12th, saturday).

https://www.consettur.com/

Last edited by Villavic; Jun 19, 17 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 19, 17, 6:50 pm

I can't comment on buying in advance vs. not, I went as part of a tour group that had all of this arranged.

However, the lineup for the bus can be very long. We went first thing in the morning and it was pouring rain and it took almost an hour to get to the front of the line.
Old Jun 20, 17, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was just there, but like B407, we had tickets purchased from our travel agent. Ironically, if I had this question, you would be the first person I'd think of to provide the answer.
Old Jun 20, 17, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
. Ironically, if I had this question, you would be the first person I'd think of to provide the answer.
My last time in MP was 2012. Never worried about buying the bus tickets previously, but in august there will be already the 2 shifts per day (morning or afternoon), see Astrophsx thread. I'm arriving at 9:40 am, and as I read, if I enter MP at the morning shift, I have to get out at noon. Maybe time will be too short, that's why I was worried about the bus line.

Since my return train is at 4:30pm, I'm considering entering at the second shift, that starts at noon. That gives me enough time to eat a brunch or light lunch, buy the tickets, etc.

However I'll be checking reviews of people that entered in july with this new shifts restriction anyway.
Old Jun 22, 17, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I've taken the bus six times in the past week and have talked to others who took it at times of day that I didn't. That doesn't make me an expert, but here's my experience for what it's worth.

The length of the line varies enormously by time of day. They're longest going up early in the morning. (Not surprisingly, they're also longest going down at the end of the day.) I joined the line at about 6:05 this morning and didn't get on a bus for an hour. Some folks I talked to who looked at the line at around 5:30 yesterday morning said it was so long that they decided to climb up instead. They beat when they would have arrived by bus by a big margin.

At 10 o'clock, though, the lines are much, much shorter. Your wait should not be significant. The buses run very frequently. I'd guess you'll be on, at worst, the third to depart after you arrive.

The queues at the ticket booth are (in my experience) short. When I had the one-hour wait this morning, two ticket windows were open. Neither had more than or eight people waiting, and some of those were probably couples. If you get your tickets there, you won't join the bus queue much later than you would have with a prepaid ticket.

All that said, by August you'll be subject to the new site access policies. (More on those in this thread, which you've probably read.) You won't be able to enter without a guide. You can hire a guide right outside the entrance, of course, but if you book one in advance he/she may be able to do this for you. Also, that will probably create a secondary bus peak going up for 12 noon entrance tickets, but I don't think it will extend as far back as 10 am. Still, the impact of the new policies is anyone's guess.
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
You won't be able to enter without a guide. .
That's ridiculous. I've been 5 times in MP, i don't need a guide anymore. It's a bit confusing, this page (sorry only in spanish) says guides are not a must, but another paragraph mention it actually is. ??

http://portaldeturismo.pe/index.php/...el-01-de-julio

as you say, impact is right now a guess, we'll check how it goes in july
Old Jun 23, 17, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
That's ridiculous. I've been 5 times in MP, i don't need a guide anymore. It's a bit confusing, this page (sorry only in spanish) says guides are not a must, but another paragraph mention it actually is. ??

http://portaldeturismo.pe/index.php/...el-01-de-julio

as you say, impact is right now a guess, we'll check how it goes in july
I assume you mean that the policy is ridiculous, not that my description of it is. Just to set my mind at ease, could you confirm that?

(Even if the new policy is wise or necessary, which at least some people seem to think it is, I think introducing it at the height of the tourist season is neither.)
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
I assume you mean that the policy is ridiculous, not that my description of it is. Just to set my mind at ease, could you confirm that?

(Even if the new policy is wise or necessary, which at least some people seem to think it is, I think introducing it at the height of the tourist season is neither.)
Of course I mean the policy! Sorry about the confusion. Actually it is not ridiculous in some indoor places like monasteries. There are some convents in Lima and Arequipa where entering with a guide is a must, and it makes sense (not allowed rooms, unlocked ornaments, etc.). But MP is an outdoor place, I don't find it 100% necessary. And yes july is not the best month for changes. I guess it will be very complicated the first days.

Search this Thread