Reload this Page >

Heavy rains and the Niño in northern Peru

Old Mar 28, 17, 4:24 pm
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver

As many of you already know, Peru is being hit by heavy rains and storms, floods, interrupted highways and other services, in north regions. Even Lima was hit through interruption of wáter service few days ago but right now there is no critic situations within the city (I mean touristic and business zones).

So north beaches are empty and suffer the impact of this phenomenom. It's strongly not recomendable to go there, at least until late april, that's true.

But Cusco, Puno and other places are not suffering this phenomenom. It's usual rainy season but there are no news of floods and landslides.

This article shows how north beaches are right now. It's in spanish but pictures are more tan explicit. Anyway if someone wants to visit a specific Peru región, I recommend to check before how is weather in that place. As I said not all regions are suffering this issue

http://elcomercio.pe/sociedad/tumbes...oticia-1978923
Old Mar 29, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
We were in Lima and on 3/15 the river was so high people were crowding the bank to watch it and told me they had never seen it so high. Also, because of the river flooding it closed the Pan-American highway that afternoon.
Old Mar 30, 17, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My group was really lucky. Our tour of Lima crossed the Rimac mere days before the flooding and when we returned it was just to transit at LIM. Hopefully this will all be much better when my next group visits in late May.
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
My group was really lucky. Our tour of Lima crossed the Rimac mere days before the flooding and when we returned it was just to transit at LIM. Hopefully this will all be much better when my next group visits in late May.
It is far better now, at least in Lima. North Peru is still in trouble, but in May weather should be better. Though the impact will still be there.
Old Jun 11, 17, 3:40 pm

Does anyone know what the situation is like now? Of course the major rain season is over but do the aftermaths of the heavy rainfalls still make it hard to travel the northern part of. the country?
Old Jun 11, 17, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I just read Piura will have a usual Winter, after 10 years. So no rains reported anymore, since several weeks. But the impact was, is very strong withing the cities, towns and farms, and reconstruction in all the región will take several months.

PromPerú launched a north región tourism campaign this week. So I guess the tourist infraestructure, routes, specially along the beaches, is fine. In fact I just saw pictures of very dirty beaches in Punta Sal, Mancora, Zorritos but no destroyed buildings, as I remember.

No news about delayed flights anymore either. So I guess it's ok to travel to the north.
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by McFlying View Post
Does anyone know what the situation is like now? Of course the major rain season is over but do the aftermaths of the heavy rainfalls still make it hard to travel the northern part of. the country?
Lima, where you'll probably fly through: about a 10% chance of rain every day for the next two weeks (per weather.com).

Iquitos, closer to where you're probably going: much rainier. Thunderstorms predicted most days for the next two weeks. Just two days with the chance of rain under 40%, most higher. Weather.com doesn't say anything about travel conditions, but bring rain gear.
Old Jun 15, 17, 10:12 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
Lima, where you'll probably fly through: about a 10% chance of rain every day for the next two weeks (per weather.com).

Iquitos, closer to where you're probably going: much rainier. Thunderstorms predicted most days for the next two weeks. Just two days with the chance of rain under 40%, most higher. Weather.com doesn't say anything about travel conditions, but bring rain gear.
Just something to bear in mind. Lima doesn't have actual rain, only light drizzle. No pouring rain at all.

Search this Thread