Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Train to Machu Picchu luggage restriction

Train to Machu Picchu luggage restriction

Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Question Train to Machu Picchu luggage restriction

Just bought tickets Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu and found the following note:" El equipaje permitido no debe exceder 05 kg/11 libras por pasajero. / The luggage allowed must not exceed 05 kg/11 pounds per passenger."
We will try to travel light, but we need some stuff for 10 days... and we plan to stay in Aguas Calintes two nights...

What should I do with my suitcase?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Which train? One has luggage racks, one doesn't (observation car).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Oh... We bought one-way on Vistadome (observation car), and back - on Expedition.
So, People who travel on Vistadome do not take any luggage with them?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:49 am

We took our luggage with us. We each had one carry on suitcase and one smaller item - size of a backpack. We didn't have any problems however I could see how it would become problematic if everyone brought their luggage as space is limited. On the way back, the train is full of backpacks from people doing the Inca trail.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
When I went it was with a tour group on a 2-week trip; the tour operator arranged for our large bags to be left with our hotel in Cuzco for the few days spent in Sacred Valley and AQ before we returning to the hotel. We were only permitted to bring a rollaboard and backpack on the train. SuperDudlely's observations are spot on.

So, if your itinerary allows, you might ask your hotel before getting to the train if they will hold your luggage for a few days.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's really nowhere to put large bags on the Vistadome (which isn't a dome like you get in North America....)

Nonetheless, there are no above seat racks (windows run along the sides of the carriage roof).

I did recall some pax taking their bags with them which the crew put in the exit (pair of doors in the centre of the carriage - only place to put them) so you can imagine space is limited.

On the other service, there is, IIRC, space between seat backs and racks at the end of carriages.

What we did was to drop our bags at the hotel in Ollantaytambo before we boarded the train, and came back after an over night in Aguas Calientes.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:48 pm
cjp

Bring it, I'm sure that someone could find a place for it on the train in exchange for a small tip.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Update: Train to Machu Picchu luggage restriction

First of all: thank you all who replied to my post. All- correct.
Here is an official response I received from the PeruRail rep:

" Dear Passenger,

Thank you for your communication and choosing Perurail. We will provide you the facilities to carry your extra luggage,actually the problem is not the weight but yes it is the big size of the luggage because the trains are panoramic and it has a small space for them , however do not worry, we will giveyou the facilities, I would appreciate if you could send me the number of your train tickets or the sales code and the approximate size of all the luggage.

The cost of this service is included in your train ticket, do not worry, you can send me the information until 48 hrs before the travel date."
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by onestepatatime

" Dear Passenger,

Thank you for your communication and choosing Perurail. We will provide you the facilities to carry your extra luggage,actually the problem is not the weight but yes it is the big size of the luggage because the trains are panoramic and it has a small space for them , however do not worry, we will giveyou the facilities, I would appreciate if you could send me the number of your train tickets or the sales code and the approximate size of all the luggage.

The cost of this service is included in your train ticket, do not worry, you can send me the information until 48 hrs before the travel date."
That's extremely accommodating of them! Enjoy your trip. You're going to have a great time.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

" Dear Passenger,

After you send them the information and receive a subsequent reply, take their reply email with you to the train just in case.

There is a free left-luggage place at Ollantaytambo station, too - which depending on your needs for the larger bags, may be less hassle.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

" Dear Passenger,

I must say that is one of the most relevant customer service replies I've read on FT in some time. No ifs, ands, or buts. Just "let us know, bring your bags, we'll make it work, and it won't cost you extra."
Parenthetically, this thread shows the value of communicating concerns and how much better that works than just showing up hoping things will work out, and being disappointed on a trip - or dropping into DYKWIA mode - when it doesn't.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Section 107
When I went it was with a tour group on a 2-week trip; the tour operator arranged for our large bags to be left with our hotel in Cuzco for the few days spent in Sacred Valley and AQ before we returning to the hotel...
That's basically what my recent tour operator did. They picked up our large bags from our Sacred Valley hotel and took them to the Cusco hotel where we'd be going after MP. We just had to bring enough stuff for three days/two nights.

That said, our guide told us not to sweat the official maximum sizes. Their purpose is to discourage large bags, not to cause problems. There's room for good-sized backpacks between the backs of seats facing opposite directions, for one thing. Lots of us had bags or backpacks that were over the official limits (my backpack was probably around 20 lbs., a bit under 10 kg), though no non-carry-on sized suitcases. I saw other people with bigger bags than anyone in our group had. Nobody was turned away or had a problem.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We took the Vistadome round trip and recall being asked to wait before hopping off until luggage was retrieved. There certainly isn't space in the cabin itself, but I'm pretty sure there was a "luggage car" or luggage space somewhere. We left our bags in our Cusco hotel for the night, but I saw many folks packed up for a multi-day stay. Their bags had to go somewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.