FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru-710/)
-   -   A Few Questions Re. Inca Trail (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/1782850-few-questions-re-inca-trail.html)

CalVol Aug 4, 2016 11:32 pm

A Few Questions Re. Inca Trail

I leave next week...excited!!! But, I have a few questions for those of you who've been there and done that.

1. Wear trail runners or hiking boots?
2. Can I buy Gu, Clif Bars, etc in Cusco, or do I need to bring them with me?
3. I'm coming from sea level, so...what's the best bet for a low stress easy 1st day in Cusco...I'm thinking just doing a little walking around and taking in the ambiance...is the Chocolate Museum/workshop a worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours?
4. What is the one thing you wish you'd known before you hit the trail?

Thanks!

Section 107 Aug 8, 2016 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by CalVol (Post 27018259)
I leave next week...excited!!! But, I have a few questions for those of you who've been there and done that.

1. Wear trail runners or hiking boots?
2. Can I buy Gu, Clif Bars, etc in Cusco, or do I need to bring them with me?
3. I'm coming from sea level, so...what's the best bet for a low stress easy 1st day in Cusco...I'm thinking just doing a little walking around and taking in the ambiance...is the Chocolate Museum/workshop a worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours?
4. What is the one thing you wish you'd known before you hit the trail?

Thanks!

1. Of course, it depends on your fitness and experience level but I suggest trail runners are all that is needed. In the citadel, cross-trainer sneakers were more than enough. I brought my light/medium Merrell hiking boots (sorta similar to the Eagle now on their website) for the hike to Inti-Punku and the Inca Bridge and was annoyed because I could've done everything with my sneakers and the rest of my trip I had to carry these boots around that just took up space and weight. I saw LOTS of people using sneakers and even just good quality sport-sandals. Now, I didn't do huayna picchu or macchu picchu so cant say if sneakers would be okay there. Of course, it often rains so you want to make sure whatever you have can handle the wet.

2. don't know

3. 1st and 2nd day: You plan sounds fine; drink the coca tea, drink lots of water, consider taking the Diamox (acetazolamide) pills starting 48 hours ahead of time. I didn't visit the museum but how could you go wrong with chocolate? :p

4. didn't need to use the weight and space for the boots.

porphyra Aug 8, 2016 2:51 pm

Even Macchu Picchu is doable in good sneakers with mild rain (huayna picchu is easier). Fitness and altitude sickness (the first day or two in Cusco) will be your main worry rather than footwear.

RCyyz Aug 9, 2016 2:27 pm

I did not notice any place to buy Gu, Clif etc in CUZ. Doesn't mean the stores don't exist, but I certainly didn't see any.

In general I don't think it would be easy to find Gu etc as it would be priced well above what locals would consider paying.

CalVol Aug 10, 2016 7:39 am

Sitting on the plane awaiting departure from SAN... thanks for the replies...decided to go w/trail runners and to pack some Gu & cliff bars. Thanks!!!

daKav Aug 13, 2016 11:02 am

Are you doing the 4 day hike? I am doing that in a couple of months.

CalVol Aug 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by daKav (Post 27058970)
Are you doing the 4 day hike? I am doing that in a couple of months.

Yes. We leave tomorrow. We had our orientation with the tour guides tonight. It looks like we've got a pretty fun group of folks going.

I'm excited. My first day here (thursday) was pretty miserable. I waited to take the diamox till we arrived. I was hoping I'd be one of those who wasnt bothered by the altitude. Alas, it was not to be.

Add to it that it was basically 24 hours of traveling to get here, along with a bit of a stomach bug on the way down and I was not feeling good by the time we checked into our hotel.

Fortunately, we got an early check-in... 8 AM ... at the Hilton Garden Inn, a very nice property by the way, and slept until about 1.

My resting heart rate is back down to a reasonable 66...it's normally 48 bpm...so, I'm still not all the way to sea level adaptation. I'm still getting a little winded, but didn't have a dizzy spell today. SOOOO...it's off we go! I'll probably be bringing up the rear. But, it isn't a race anyway.

I hope your trek turns out great and that you don't suffer a lost first day like me.

daKav Aug 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Have a good hike! I look forward to hearing from you when you are back!

I was in Ecuador in July. Booked 5 days in advance so did not have time get prescription drugs. I did fairly well. But this time I am planning it well in advance and started with HITT. I'll going from sea level as well.

CalVol Dec 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Dear old mom wanted to see some video of my trek. So, I finally got around to doing something.

I threw together a few loops in garageband, then layered a little lead guitar on top of it to create a soundtrack.

I've got a LOT more video and stills that I need to go through. Hopefully, I will have the time to do a better job of putting something together.

cjp Dec 13, 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz (Post 27039892)
I did not notice any place to buy Gu, Clif etc in CUZ. Doesn't mean the stores don't exist, but I certainly didn't see any.

In general I don't think it would be easy to find Gu etc as it would be priced well above what locals would consider paying.

It is nearly impossible to find energy gels (Gu or any other brand) in Lima, I imagine Cusco would be worse. I haven't seen Clif bars either. Best to bring your own.