Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Hotels In Puno Hacienda Puno Or Sonesta Posadas

Hotels In Puno Hacienda Puno Or Sonesta Posadas

Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Oh RCyyz thank you! Everything was very helpful!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
RCyyz did you think staying in Mira Flores was worth it? I'm a little torn between staying at the Sheraton which is closer to Plaza Mayor and central Lima vs the Four Point in Mira Flores.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Miraflores is a pleasant area. It's quite safe and quite easy to walk around there. That said, yes the touristy stuff to see in LIM is generally around Plaza Mayor.

Many people complain about the location of the Sheraton, specifically claiming it's in a less desirable corner of town. I can see how some would feel this way. The Sheraton backs onto a street which is not entirely in keeping with a higher-end hotel. When I was there, I didn't see a lot of foot traffic around the hotel either. That said, I personally feel the Sheraton is still a taxi ride away from Plaza Mayor. So you can take a long taxi from Miraflores, or a short one from the Sheraton. I will note that I spoke with another FT'er who walked with hubby + kid all over LIM and never had any problems so obviously YMMV.

I think the real benefit is not so much one of location but rather the simple truth that in general, Sheraton > 4Points. So you'll likely get a better room in a more full-service property. As SPG Gold you may get an upgrade to an even nicer room which obviously has benefits.

One other thing to consider is your flight when leaving LIM. I believe you said you're flying LIM to CUZ. I flew LIM-AQP and that flight went wheels up 10h00 or thereabouts. I was told it would take 1h (!!) to drive from the 4Points to the airport. And sure enough, it took 1h. And that was with a pretty good driver who took some rather creative (& amusing to me) shortcuts to beat traffic. I suspect a taxi from the Sheraton to the airport will be a little bit faster, but I could be wrong. Best to check with the locals on that one! So if you have an early morning flight, because of traffic your morning may be earlier.

Traffic in LIM should not be underestimated. It's not the most chaotic place I've ever been, but it ranks pretty high up there. There is a distinct lack of public transit in LIM which means traffic is much worse than it should be. Taking a taxi is somewhat of an exercise in patience. But for me, staying at Miraflores and taking a taxi to and fro meant I got to see more of the city which wasn't a bad thing.

There are many comments, here and elsewhere, that caution against just hailing a cab in LIM. You can use uber if you have a data plan, or you can use a hotel car which will cost at least twice as much. With my very limited Spanish I found it easiest to just use a hotel car, but I would have used uber if my data plan worked while I was in LIM. (Took me until I was in AQP to figure out how to get the Movistar SIM working properly.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.