Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott and Hilton

JW Marriott and Hilton

Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
JW Marriott and Hilton

Hi,

Just wondering which hotel is more recommended for a 3 night stay in Lima next month? I am top tier in both programs so I assume lounge access and breakfast, etc...

TIA
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
The JW Marriott is located just in front of the sea, next to a mall called Larcomar. Mall is pretty for seeing the sunset and such, but you won't find many stores. You will find a small food court with some restaurants, but nothing spectacular.

The Hilton and the DoubleTree are located more in the heart of Miraflores. There are restaurants around, and it's close to the Metropolitano, one of our main bus lines.

It really depends on you. Both of them are located in a nice area, and they are well connected.

If you wanna save some money, I suggest you take a look at the ongoing HHonors Sale. It says up to 25% off, and I see 20% off in Americas hotels. So maybe you can strike a good deal?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
The JW Marriott is located just in front of the sea, next to a mall called Larcomar. Mall is pretty for seeing the sunset and such, but you won't find many stores. You will find a small food court with some restaurants, but nothing spectacular.

The Hilton and the DoubleTree are located more in the heart of Miraflores. There are restaurants around, and it's close to the Metropolitano, one of our main bus lines.

It really depends on you. Both of them are located in a nice area, and they are well connected.

If you wanna save some money, I suggest you take a look at the ongoing HHonors Sale. It says up to 25% off, and I see 20% off in Americas hotels. So maybe you can strike a good deal?
Thank you, this is very helpful. Hilton looks more central and also newer.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:14 pm

I know a few people that have switched from the Marriott to the Hilton. The Hilton has some nice food options next door. The Doubletree is closer to Kennedy Park and is an okay option. I think I'd prefer the Hilton as it is within walking distance to Larcomar and a short Uber to Barranco.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I know a few people that have switched from the Marriott to the Hilton. The Hilton has some nice food options next door. The Doubletree is closer to Kennedy Park and is an okay option. I think I'd prefer the Hilton as it is within walking distance to Larcomar and a short Uber to Barranco.
Thanks for the input, this is helpful
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:15 pm

Oh, and to bring that into context, Kennedy Park is one of the most tourist-ready spots. There's free wifi, a LOT of restaurants (I recommend La Republica if you wanna try local stuff) and there's even buses with no roof that take you around (Mirabus).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

If you book with Hilton, be aware that the room rates are displayed in USD and confirmed in USD. But your credit card will be charged in Peruvian soles and it is likely that you will end up paying more in USD - hence the 30% sale may only be 20% or less!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax
If you book with Hilton, be aware that the room rates are displayed in USD and confirmed in USD. But your credit card will be charged in Peruvian soles and it is likely that you will end up paying more in USD - hence the 30% sale may only be 20% or less!
Why would it be 20% or less?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
My wife is from Lima - we've stayed at both. I'd definitely rec the Hilton over Marriott. The location is great, next month is likely going to be foggy weather, so you probably wouldn't even see great sunsets or beach scenery. Hilton has is newer with a great spa, better restaurants, a great bar, and going somewhere in the city the Hilton is a better starting point.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Why would it be 20% or less?
When I first looked the rate was quoted USD177 (inclusive of taxes). Then the 25% sale, it was quoted as USD148 (inclusive of taxes). I booked and email confirmed this amount. But my credit card was charged USD160 (inclusive of taxes) because the amount charged was in local currency not in USD! I have queried hotel, got some vague explanation. So, just beware of this - the 25% sale is not guaranteed. While I will stay there as I have read reviews in tripadvisor, but am not happy with the way the rates were displayed in USD but charged in local currency.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:31 am

When I first looked the rate was quoted USD177 (inclusive of taxes). Then the 25% sale, it was quoted as USD148 (inclusive of taxes). I booked and email confirmed this amount. But my credit card was charged USD160 (inclusive of taxes) because the amount charged was in local currency not in USD! I have queried hotel, got some vague explanation. So, just beware of this - the 25% sale is not guaranteed. While I will stay there as I have read reviews in tripadvisor, but am not happy with the way the rates were displayed in USD but charged in local currency.
Don't want to go off-topic about this, but it is definitely something you need to bring up to Hilton Guest Assistance. Maybe the HHonors forum can give more insight on how to proceed, but basically email everything to customer service. And if things don't get solved, I'd recommend PM'ing the HHonors Representative over here at FT. </offtopic>
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:40 am

Don't want to go off-topic about this, but it is definitely something you need to bring up to Hilton Guest Assistance. Maybe the HHonors forum can give more insight on how to proceed, but basically email everything to customer service. And if things don't get solved, I'd recommend PM'ing the HHonors Representative over here at FT. </offtopic>
Have already contacted Hilton and hotel. As compensation, they offered me a free tour. I have posted a thread in Hilton forum.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
This happens to me monthly, every trip I take outside the US. If you book at hotel desk they'd ask you what currency you want to be charged in.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by l3arefoot
This happens to me monthly, every trip I take outside the US. If you book at hotel desk they'd ask you what currency you want to be charged in.
I am not referring to the very poor exchange rates buried in the dynamic currency conversion which most hotels try to offer these days at checkout - so I always take the local currencies (not usd or Ł). My booking was based on a sale which had to be paid immediately at the time of booking, non cancelable and non refundable. The room rate confirmed was in a fixed usd - at no time the local currency amount was shown. The next day my card charged shown a different and higher usd amount. The transaction actually showed the amount charged was in local currency and converted to usd. I have a usd credit card and thought I would avoid the avoid the exchange rate and conversion fee by paying thru that card
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:45 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Oh, and to bring that into context, Kennedy Park is one of the most tourist-ready spots. There's free wifi, a LOT of restaurants (I recommend La Republica if you wanna try local stuff) and there's even buses with no roof that take you around (Mirabus).
Kennedy Park is nowadays half closed since there is an undeground parking work. So you may find it not so beautiful as usual is, but it's a good option for restaurants and services área anyway.

Both hotels are walking distance from the park.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.